• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Kmahrle83

Kmahrle83

Wings 4 Life!

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

How come when our guys get frustrated and lose their cool now they just end up doing dumb s***. 

What happened to the Wings of a few years ago?  When those guys got frustrated, they came at you hard and physical, but clean, and used the anger as motivation to put up a few points. 

Now they just either give up, or do stupid s*** and take penalties and dig their hole deeper.

Besides hank and Z, and maybe helm we just don't have the skill we used to to make them pay legit anymore.

Lets go RED WINGS!!!

#22 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Cheapshot from Cleary... there is no place for that in the NHL...

Here's the problem: Things like this will continue because the league isn't serious about policing itself. Time and time again it's either no hearing or a BS fine.  The only solution at this point is to get rid of the instigator rule and let teams police themselves.  It will make for some all-out donnybrooks initially, but will even itself out eventually.  

I must admit I am shocked at how deplorable Shanahan is at this job, whether it's his own incompetence or the higher powers that be.  I really thought Shanny was a perfect choice for the position given the way he played, but he's either stunningly inadequate or a mere figurehead.  Just do away with the whole dog-and-pony show already and get on with the game.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why?  Why would you want him to injure a skilled player when Cleary is barely a 4th line player?

This is the kind of BS that needs to stop in the league... help me understand why elbowing Joe in the head is ok?

Because he's a diving punk who is a bad example for the game.  

Cleary is not a dirty player.  He just made a careless play being the uncoordinated person that he is.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Stupid play by Cleary. suspended not even close but a real gutless puke of a thing to do yes. Hats off to Hannon for not rolling around on the ice like a little girl and wanting to tear Cleary's head off. This is just another sign that Cleary is done.

#25 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

He should be suspended for the rest of the season :innocent:

I wish! Set an example! Lol

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

No doubt about that one. For sure suspension worthy. For the sake of bettering our lineup, I'm hoping for a lengthy one.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#27 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Here's the problem: Things like this will continue because the league isn't serious about policing itself. Time and time again it's either no hearing or a BS fine.  The only solution at this point is to get rid of the instigator rule and let teams police themselves.  It will make for some all-out donnybrooks initially, but will even itself out eventually.  

I must admit I am shocked at how deplorable Shanahan is at this job, whether it's his own incompetence or the higher powers that be.  I really thought Shanny was a perfect choice for the position given the way he played, but he's either stunningly inadequate or a mere figurehead.  Just do away with the whole dog-and-pony show already and get on with the game.

I'm an advocate of getting rid of the instigator rule too, but do you really believe that it will even itself out? More and more now I am seeing players continually disrespect each others safety by ramming guys into the boards when they have their backs turned, giving out cheap shot elbows to the head, cross checks to vulnerable places etc etc. I understand that it gets heated, but still, this is ridiculous. 

I now wonder that if you eliminate the instigator rule, whether we will see more and more incidents like the Brooks Orpik/Shawn Thornton fiasco, whereby a player lays a clean and great body check, only for the enforcer on the guy who got smoked's team to take matters into his own hands. 

As such I'm not so sure whether we should get rid of it anymore. In other words, after the evidence of disrespect I've viewed this year, Im now on the fence.

I feel its definitely time for Shanny to send a proper message here with regard to these suspensions. Something bigger than what Raffi Torres got a couple years back. Part of me also wonders whether his hands are being tied by some higher power and that he wants to make these suspensions bigger. 

temp 1

#28 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Besides hank and Z, and maybe helm we just don't have the skill we used to to make them pay legit anymore.

I think Henrik Zetterberg is also pretty good.

#29 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'm an advocate of getting rid of the instigator rule too, but do you really believe that it will even itself out? More and more now I am seeing players continually disrespect each others safety by ramming guys into the boards when they have their backs turned, giving out cheap shot elbows to the head, cross checks to vulnerable places etc etc. I understand that it gets heated, but still, this is ridiculous. 

I now wonder that if you eliminate the instigator rule, whether we will see more and more incidents like the Brooks Orpik/Shawn Thornton fiasco, whereby a player lays a clean and great body check, only for the enforcer on the guy who got smoked's team to take matters into his own hands. 

As such I'm not so sure whether we should get rid of it anymore. In other words, after the evidence of disrespect I've viewed this year, Im now on the fence.

I feel its definitely time for Shanny to send a proper message here with regard to these suspensions. Something bigger than what Raffi Torres got a couple years back. Part of me also wonders whether his hands are being tied by some higher power and that he wants to make these suspensions bigger. 

I do think it will even itself out eventually.  Of course it's just an opinion, but I have faith that the bedrock of the game will win out.  Whatever anyone says, the league has completely lost control of the game and players have lost sight of what's decent.  The mixed messages are giving me whiplash.  The league claims to want headshots out of the game, yet does nothing to deter them.  Players get upset about a good, clean check, yet see nothing wrong with Pronger Physics.  At this point we really have nothing to lose with attempting to let the players sort it out themselves.  Given the propensity for double standards or no standards at all, this is far from a perfect solution and will create some interesting circumstances certainly, but the status quo is even more unacceptable.  The pendulum will have to swing in the opposite direction before it can reach the middle.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I've heard that that the League has someone who is in charge of dealing with "player safety", matters just like this:

shanahan.jpg

Apparently, he's been the best on the job since:

Colin-Campbell-NHL-VP.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#31 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

Because he's a diving punk who is a bad example for the game.  

Cleary is not a dirty player.  He just made a careless play being the uncoordinated person that he is.  

So a dive deserves an elbow to the head?

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

So a dive deserves an elbow to the head?

A dive doesn't.  Diving over and over and over again deserves something akin to an elbow.  Have you never watched Pavelski play?  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

s*** happens. Made me grin really with all the cheap s*** that has happened to the Wings this year. Good for Cleary.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I loathe Danny Cleary more than 99% of the people on this site.  However, if Cowen gets zero games for doing the exact same thing to Dats, then Cleary should get the exact same treatment.  Though a 20 game suspension wouldn't break my heart.  :lol:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Stupid play by Cleary but he isn't a dirty player.  If the league were really making a consistent effort to protect players heads then yes, Cleary should probably sit for a game.  Or at least get a fine.  But since Cowen wasn't suspended for his chicken wing on Dats, it's not surprising he didn't get anything.

Funny how people here suddenly wants to take a strong stand on blows to the head when Cleary is involved, but love it when Franzen suckerpunches a guy to the head.  

#36 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Looked extremely cheap. Hannan wasn't injured only reason why cleary wasn't suspended. The nhl suspends guys for clean hits that result in injury yet if a cheapshot goes without injury they pass over it. Itsf****** stupid.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Looked extremely cheap. Hannan wasn't injured only reason why cleary wasn't suspended. The nhl suspends guys for clean hits that result in injury yet if a cheapshot goes without injury they pass over it. Itsf****** stupid.

I really don't understand why the league seems to go lighter on elbows and stickwork to the head, when those are usually obvious dirty plays that have a clear intent to injure.  

Most elbows or sticks to the head are not a hockey play gone bad, and should be among the easiest to crack down on and eliminate from the game.

#38 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Was there at least a fine?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#39 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Was there at least a fine?

It is not looking likely.

http://prohockeytalk...ended-or-fined/

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#40 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

I really don't understand why the league seems to go lighter on elbows and stickwork to the head, when those are usually obvious dirty plays that have a clear intent to injure.  

Most elbows or sticks to the head are not a hockey play gone bad, and should be among the easiest to crack down on and eliminate from the game.

because there is an overall trend in sports against violence, they are attacking clean hits because cheap shots will always exist.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter