• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MDCard

Filppula

Rate this topic

17 goals and 17 assists in 44 games. My friends who are Tampa Bay Lightening fans down here in Florida are thrilled with him.

I think that's awesome. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to produce here. Not blaming him but sometimes players thrive under a different system.

Guest mjtm77

Just picture our team without Weiss and with Filppula. Another mistake Ken Holland made. Although last summer I myself would have made the exact same move that Ken did.

Just picture our team without Weiss and with Filppula. Another mistake Ken Holland made. Although last summer I myself would have made the exact same move that Ken did.

I doubt we'd be much different.

Flip didn't work in Babcock's system and didn't like playing for him. Holland wanted to keep him and offered him a 7 year deal but Flip wanted to play somewhere else.

Even if he stayed I wouldn't expect him to be producing the kind of numbers he's putting up in the much more relaxed atmosphere of Tampa.

What can you do? If a guy is given a contract to sign and he dosnt sign it you can't make him sign it.

Good for him though, sucks for us that the guy we got to take his spot hasn't really shown up yet.

What can you do? If a guy is given a contract to sign and he dosnt sign it you can't make him sign it.

Good for him though, sucks for us that the guy we got to take his spot hasn't really shown up yet.

Yes exactly. I always liked Fillpula a lot and this is also a case of 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone'. He was a very good fit in our system even if there was obviously something wrong with him last year. I will not give up on Weiss until we see if the surgery helped him get back to 100%, but it's certainly looking like Weiss isn't a good fit at all.

Unlike a lot of other people I don't wish bad things on the players that leave the Wings, and certainly not great guys like Fil. I wish him continued success and will continue to miss him in a Wings uniform.

Not worth the money and I feel we have players, given time will be more productive

Oh Fil wouldn't be worth the exact same money we gave Weiss?

If he was willing to sign here we would have signed him and for good reason. We would have won more games this year as a result.

to me what the performance of filppula and hudler shows is that they weren't necessarily the problem, the team is. whether thats babcock, holland, etc i dont necessarily care. all i can see is that we had players we had drafted and developed and we did not put them in a situation to succeed. sure they aren't winning any scoring titles, but they have both shown that they can put up points on their new teams. yet here we are with 2 of the best forwards of their generation and year after year we struggle to score goals. its frustrating to watch. but thank god we have danny cleary playing 18 minutes a night! i dont know what we would do without all his production!

to me what the performance of filppula and hudler shows is that they weren't necessarily the problem, the team is. whether thats babcock, holland, etc i dont necessarily care. all i can see is that we had players we had drafted and developed and we did not put them in a situation to succeed. sure they aren't winning any scoring titles, but they have both shown that they can put up points on their new teams. yet here we are with 2 of the best forwards of their generation and year after year we struggle to score goals. its frustrating to watch. but thank god we have danny cleary playing 18 minutes a night! i dont know what we would do without all his production!

Cleary has never played 18 minutes this season and has only played over 17 minutes four times. His average ice time is 13:38. 1:29 of that is on the PK. It'd be a dream if people would stop ending every post about the team with some whining about Cleary. At least Robert Lang being Lazy and Sucking™ became a tongue in cheek meme here and got funny.

As for Flip, it's not surprising he's putting up more points with Tampa. There he's not behind Dats and Zetterberg and he's playing 2 more minutes a night on a very good team. Here in Detroit he seemed to play to the spot he was given as a third line center instead of breaking out.

Cleary has never played 18 minutes this season and has only played over 17 minutes four times. His average ice time is 13:38. 1:29 of that is on the PK. It'd be a dream if people would stop ending every post about the team with some whining about Cleary. At least Robert Lang being Lazy and Sucking™ became a tongue in cheek meme here and got funny.

last game: 17:34 and 3:28 on the pp

previous game: 17:33 and 2:35 on the pp (most pp time of all players)

previous game: 17:53 and 3:14 on the pp

we have been seeing a lot of dan cleary lately. over 17.5 minutes a night of him the last few games. that is was i was referencing. its not about being a meme or being funny. its about being frustrated with how bad our team is and how we keep playing %&*# players like cleary all the time.

Oh Fil wouldn't be worth the exact same money we gave Weiss?

If he was willing to sign here we would have signed him and for good reason. We would have won more games this year as a result.

didn't care for that signing either..to me it seems Holland just signed Weiss just to sign someone. Hopefully he produces when he comes back Edited by PumpkinEscobar

Guest Playmaker

As for Flip, it's not surprising he's putting up more points with Tampa. There he's not behind Dats and Zetterberg and he's playing 2 more minutes a night on a very good team. Here in Detroit he seemed to play to the spot he was given as a third line center instead of breaking out.

When you're a 3rd line center, it means you have 3rd line wingers, which would likely account for his production.

I don't get the perception that Flip was this epic failure and under achiever. He did have a break out season when he was with more offensive minded players. In 2013, he battled injuries much of the shortened season. So I wouldn't really say he didn't follow up his breakout season.

I can't say I blame him for not wanting to re-sign here.

I wonder if his recent success is somehow linked to the "system" used by Jon Cooper?

If his agent was smart, he'd start talking about a contract extension right about...now.

Maybe in the 4th year of his contract, when he is eligible

And who wouldn't want to play for Babs? His system stiffles offense, he consistently rewards undeserving players, and you never know who your linemates will be from shift to shift. The guy's a genius.

i see what you did there :shout: