• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MDCard

Filppula

Rate this topic

17 goals and 17 assists in 44 games. My friends who are Tampa Bay Lightening fans down here in Florida are thrilled with him.

That's cause he's playing like he was 2 years ago when he got 66 points and then last year in his contract year he was complete garbage. He's doing very well in Tampa, but we'll see how consistent he can stay. He looks like he's skating much better than last year and handling the puck better as well.

Guest Crymson

Just picture our team without Weiss and with Filppula. Another mistake Ken Holland made. Although last summer I myself would have made the exact same move that Ken did.

Yeah, his 17 points in 41 games last season was awesome. It definitely justified a huge contract.

didn't care for that signing either..to me it seems Holland just signed Weiss just to sign someone. Hopefully he produces when he comes back

He signed Weiss as a second-line center.

Same could be said about Hudler also, 12 Goals 23 Assists in 44 games. Granted it's a bit deceiving considering he's getting a lot of ice time playing for calgary, but the combined 70 points could have helped out a lot so far this year for us.

It's a breach of logic to assume that we could transplant Hudler here and have him score just as much as he is in Calgary.

Besides, this forum would have gone incandescent had Holland given him $4m for four seasons.

Guest Crymson

Cleary has never played 18 minutes this season and has only played over 17 minutes four times. His average ice time is 13:38. 1:29 of that is on the PK. It'd be a dream if people would stop ending every post about the team with some whining about Cleary. At least Robert Lang being Lazy and Sucking™ became a tongue in cheek meme here and got funny.

Before the Winter Classic, Cleary was playing ~13 minutes per night. After he did fairly well in that game---his first and only good game of the season---Babcock began playing the hell out of him again. Tonight, Tatar---who now has two goals over the past two games---has played 12:14. And this isn't all because of the time spent on the PK; Andersson and Miller, the team's top PK forward unit, have 11:44 and 10:11, respectively. Cleary is #3 amongst forwards with 15:11, less only than Nyquist and Zetterberg. This is a ridiculous state of affairs.

Babcock's obsession with Cleary irritates me greatly.

When you're a 3rd line center, it means you have 3rd line wingers, which would likely account for his production.

I don't get the perception that Flip was this epic failure and under achiever. He did have a break out season when he was with more offensive minded players. In 2013, he battled injuries much of the shortened season. So I wouldn't really say he didn't follow up his breakout season.

I can't say I blame him for not wanting to re-sign here.

The 2007-2008 season was the last time Filppula played a season as 3rd-line center. This didn't didn't extend into the playoffs, in which he centered the 2nd line. From then on, he never played on a line without offensively-talented players on his wings. I don't know where on Earth you got the idea that he was playing 3rd line center with grinders for any appreciable percentage of his career, let alone his last few seasons.

Edited by Crymson

last game: 17:34 and 3:28 on the pp

previous game: 17:33 and 2:35 on the pp (most pp time of all players)

previous game: 17:53 and 3:14 on the pp

we have been seeing a lot of dan cleary lately. over 17.5 minutes a night of him the last few games. that is was i was referencing. its not about being a meme or being funny. its about being frustrated with how bad our team is and how we keep playing %&*# players like cleary all the time.

Right. As I mentioned he's played over 17 minutes 4 times. and tonight he finally played over 18 minutes tonight and the Wings won. He even scored a goal. Fancy that.

Let me make it simple. This thread is about Flip. Save the complaining about Cleary for the thread dedicated to hating him.

When you're a 3rd line center, it means you have 3rd line wingers, which would likely account for his production.

I don't get the perception that Flip was this epic failure and under achiever. He did have a break out season when he was with more offensive minded players. In 2013, he battled injuries much of the shortened season. So I wouldn't really say he didn't follow up his breakout season.

I can't say I blame him for not wanting to re-sign here.

I don't think Flip was in any way an epic failure. An underachiever, maybe slightly. Because you could see had the offensive skills to produce more.

Blaming the wingers is an excuse I don't put a whole lot of stock in. Of course great wingers help. But the criticism many had of Flip the time he was here was to shoot the damn puck.

to me what the performance of filppula and hudler shows is that they weren't necessarily the problem, the team is. whether thats babcock, holland, etc i dont necessarily care. all i can see is that we had players we had drafted and developed and we did not put them in a situation to succeed. sure they aren't winning any scoring titles, but they have both shown that they can put up points on their new teams. yet here we are with 2 of the best forwards of their generation and year after year we struggle to score goals. its frustrating to watch. but thank god we have danny cleary playing 18 minutes a night! i dont know what we would do without all his production!

What is it about Babcocks system that didnt make the best use of Hudlers and Filppulas potential? Maybe in his head if your name isnt Zetterberg or Datsjuyk then fk you...

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, his 17 points in 41 games last season was awesome. It definitely justified a huge contract.

He signed Weiss as a second-line center.

It's a breach of logic to assume that we could transplant Hudler here and have him score just as much as he is in Calgary.

Besides, this forum would have gone incandescent had Holland given him $4m for four seasons.

Apparently the Wings thought it justified a huge contract as they offered him a 7 year deal. Apparently they understood he was injured for a majority of the shortened season.

Would Hudler score as much as he does in Calgary? No, but he'd probably score more than any of the centers not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

I don't know, 4 years/4mil sounds like a bargain in comparison to 5 years/25 mil.

Same could be said about Hudler also, 12 Goals 23 Assists in 44 games. Granted it's a bit deceiving considering he's getting a lot of ice time playing for calgary, but the combined 70 points could have helped out a lot so far this year for us.

I think it was a mistake letting Filpulla go and i had thought he left because we didn't think he was worth $5 million a year. I think, in today's market, he was and is worth about that. He was a good worker on both ends of the ice, a good puck handler/skill guy, and had a good year in 2011-12. He took a step back last year in terms of points...for whatever reason i don't know. But he was a top 6, "core-type" player and made some big-time plays (see his diving goal against Chicago and his slick assist against Anaheim in last years playoffs). In addition, Fil is a player who is entering the prime/sweet-spot of his career.

I don't think Hudler is comparable to Filpulla as Hudler was too slow and one-dimensional...often disappearing in the playoffs.

I would prefer to pay a guy like Fil $5 mill than a bunch of "parts" to fill the bottom six at $2-3 mill a year (e.g Sammy, Bert, Clears, Tootoo...although i think Tootoo is pretty good and brings something unique to our team, namely grit and effort) . Those bottom 6 guys can be replaced by low cap, hungry Grand Rapids guys without missing a beat.

I am pretty disappointed that we spent $5 mill a year on Weiss...didn't know much about him when we signed him, but now i think his success in Florida may had something to do with him being the best player on a not very competitive team and therefore racking up some points. To sign a guy at the age of 30 to a 5 year 5 mill a year deal when he is coming off of a wrist injury seems really reckless at best and incompetent at worst. Really makes me wonder about Kenny Holland and the odd way he runs this team. All this "over-ripening" garbage that lets talented young guys bide time in GR while aged guys float around the ice at the Joe. Young players will probably optimally improve their game when playing against the stiff competition in the NHL...not in GR. They belong up here in the bottom 6 (at least) rather than GR.

Before the Winter Classic, Cleary was playing ~13 minutes per night. After he did fairly well in that game---his first and only good game of the season---Babcock began playing the hell out of him again. Tonight, Tatar---who now has two goals over the past two games---has played 12:14. And this isn't all because of the time spent on the PK; Andersson and Miller, the team's top PK forward unit, have 11:44 and 10:11, respectively. Cleary is #3 amongst forwards with 15:11, less only than Nyquist and Zetterberg. This is a ridiculous state of affairs.

Babcock's obsession with Cleary irritates me greatly.

...And you called me out in another thread for complaining about Cleary's ice time...

On topic, I miss Filppula. He wouldn't have anywhere close to the same numbers he's putting up now if he were still here, but it pains me to see him in any other jersey. I hope he continues to do well in Tampa and becomes a fan favorite there.

His point numbers don't surprise me, but his goals sure do. Who would have thought that only 16 players would have more goals than him? If he keeps up his pace the past 10 or 15 games, scoring 40 isn't out of the question. We'll see what happens when Stamkos comes back, though.

Guest Playmaker

I was reading an article about Filppula yesterday from a Finnish newspaper. Although the translation may have been a bit rough, it seems as though what Flip has said was Tampa had much more of a relaxed atmosphere and that he didn't have to worry about being sat if he made a mistake. He also said he doesn't feel like he's playing any differently this season than he has every other year.

I feel that Flip just doesn't fit nor can thrive under babcock's system

Signed,

Steven Weiss

As for Huds...I liked him, but he was a good regular season player....in the playoffs he looked out of place, game just became to fast for him to play an all around game, I wish him the best.

I feel that Flip just doesn't fit nor can thrive under babcock's system

Signed,

Steven Weiss

As for Huds...I liked him, but he was a good regular season player....in the playoffs he looked out of place, game just became to fast for him to play an all around game, I wish him the best.

Welcome to the boards Mr. Goulet.

goulet-ram.jpg

Guest Crymson

Apparently the Wings thought it justified a huge contract as they offered him a 7 year deal.

Source, please.

Guest Playmaker

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/yzerman-asked-about-winter-classic-alumni-showdown-personnel-babcock-drops

The pertinent information:

Yzerman will appear on Fox Sports Detroit during the second intermission, and while we're droppin' bombs, Mike Babcock had spoken to Ken Kal in a little chit-chat prior to Kal losing his voice this morning, and Babcock stated that Ken Holland had offered Valtteri Filppula a seven-year contract prior to the start of free agency, but Filppula chose to test the market anyway, and when Filppula circled back around, "the money was all gone." [edit: and Mickey Redmond said that Holland had told him that the Wings had 2 offers for Filppula, one pre-free agency and one during free agency, but 4 or 5 teams were after Filppula and he was gone]

So it appears they wanted him and Mike Babcock wanted everyone to know they wanted him.

That is a huge bummer for Team Fin.

And I think 3 weeks is a bit optimistic. My mom has the same fracture right now, granted hers ultimately displaced, but that just seems awful quick.

A non-displaced fracture isn't necessarily that serious. They can heal quickly depending on the severity. Displaced is much much worse.

Regardless wish him a speedy recovery. Feel bad for him...