• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, there aren't a lot of pieces I wouldn't part with for Wheeler (I'd give a little less for Ladd, but not much less).  Seriously, at the trade deadline all I want is Wheeler (or Ladd) and Kulikov.  These two and we're a cup team again (provided we're healthy). 

The problem is: who goes the other way to facilitate cap compliance?  High end prospects and picks might get a deal done, but it doesn't help the Wings cap issues (thanks again for Tootoo and Sammy's combined 5M Kenny!!!). I think Wheeler makes roughly 5.3M.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

You would keep Franzen on LTIR for the rest of the season and send Quincey packing. That should help out.

If you trade prospects and Quincey away in order to acquire Ladd and Wheeler, you would also have to send Sheahan back down and Eaves on waivers. That gives you a smidge over $1m  in cap space with Ladd and Wheeler on the books...If you traded away Kindl in order to acquire Kulikov, you would be left with $927K in cap space...

So, demote both Eaves and Sheahan....trade away Quincey and Kindl and then acquire Ladd, Wheeler and Kulikov somehow and your current roster would look like this:  (including the current injured players)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Tatar

Wheeler - Ladd - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Andersson - Cleary

Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

Kronwall - Dekeyser

Kulikov - Smith

Marchenko - Lashoff

Edited by LeftWinger, 13 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

The problem is: who goes the other way to facilitate cap compliance?  High end prospects and picks might get a deal done, but it doesn't help the Wings cap issues (thanks again for Tootoo and Sammy's combined 5M Kenny!!!). I think Wheeler makes roughly 5.3M.

Yeah that's the sticking point, and earlier I had said that I'd move any of our bottom end guys for peanuts (conditional 7th?) in order to help with that.  So, it would be understandably difficult to do, but "may" be possible if you had Kindl involved in the trade for Kulikov, Nyquist in the one for Wheeler, and perhaps one other cap dump trade Quincey, Cleary, Eaves, Andy, Abby, etc. etc. etc.  Admittedly, it would be difficult, and might force us to make tough decisions on players we'd rather keep (Abby, Andy) but getting a workhorse like Wheeler in the deal takes the sting out a bit.

Edited by kipwinger, 13 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

The only two dumps you'd have to do in order to have all three Wheeler, Ladd and Kulikov is Kindl and Quincey.  Franzen is best to stay on LTIR for the rest of the season so that opens up about $10M+ then sending Sheahan down along with waiving Eaves opens up another $2M. That is $12 open to have all three of the guys you want, it's just coming up with a package to acquire them is the hard part...

www.thinkdunes.com

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

The only two dumps you'd have to do in order to have all three Wheeler, Ladd and Kulikov is Kindl and Quincey.  Franzen is best to stay on LTIR for the rest of the season so that opens up about $10M+ then sending Sheahan down along with waiving Eaves opens up another $2M. That is $12 open to have all three of the guys you want, it's just coming up with a package to acquire them is the hard part...

Leftie, I know you hate Franzen and all, but you've got to be a realist here.  There's no way he doesn't play if healthy.  No way.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#26 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

As much as I am also salivating at the prospect of getting (in this order) Wheeler, Ladd, Bogosian, or Kane...

I'm giving Maurice until the trade deadline to have all pieces in place.  ...and to be honest, I see them moving Buff not Bogo, and maybe one of the three forwards (based on Maurice's input) at that time.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#27 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Kip, I understand that, and if he is healthy then by all means, let him play.  I don't want to see him injure himself beyond having a normal life, so if he is having trouble staying healthy from an injury 5 years ago, maybe he should remain LTIR to see if he can recover and come back next season either with a clean bill of health or retire.

I am going under the presumption that Holland is looking to replace Franzen's potential offense if he decided to go after Wheeler, so I was just using him on LTIR in order make the room needed.  Now if Franzen becomes healthy 100% again this season, then the monkey wrench gets harder to turn if you want to acquire Wheeler, Ladd and Kulikov...

...if Franzen were to be healthy, then after sending Sheahan and Eaves back down and trading Q and K in package or salary dump deals, you'd have to shave roughly $3M more off the cap just to break even if you acquired all three...

Edited by LeftWinger, 13 January 2014 - 04:57 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Kip, I understand that, and if he is healthy then by all means, let him play.  I don't want to see him injure himself beyond having a normal life, so if he is having trouble staying healthy from an injury 5 years ago, maybe he should remain LTIR to see if he can recover and come back next season either with a clean bill of health or retire.

I am going under the presumption that Holland is looking to replace Franzen's potential offense if he decided to go after Wheeler, so I was just using him on LTIR in order make the room needed.  Now if Franzen becomes healthy 100% again this season, then the monkey wrench gets harder to turn if you want to acquire Wheeler, Ladd and Kulikov...

Ok, I understand where you're coming from now.  I was always operating under the assumption that all our guys would be healthy at some point, and that additions would be exactly that.  Given that I think this is the more likely scenario I think it's only possible to get Wheeler OR Ladd OR Kane (buy not any two), and then Kulikov in a separate trade. 

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

You would keep Franzen on LTIR for the rest of the season and send Quincey packing. That should help out.

If you trade prospects and Quincey away in order to acquire Ladd and Wheeler, you would also have to send Sheahan back down and Eaves on waivers. That gives you a smidge over $1m  in cap space with Ladd and Wheeler on the books...If you traded away Kindl in order to acquire Kulikov, you would be left with $927K in cap space...

So, demote both Eaves and Sheahan....trade away Quincey and Kindl and then acquire Ladd, Wheeler and Kulikov somehow and your current roster would look like this:  (including the current injured players)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Tatar
Wheeler - Ladd - Alfredsson
Nyquist - Andersson - Cleary
Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

Kronwall - Dekeyser
Kulikov - Smith
Marchenko - Lashoff

What happens with Weiss in this scenario?

#30 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

What happens with Weiss in this scenario?

Sent back to Florida for Kulikov?  lol.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Oops, my bad on Weiss....so basically just as Kip referred to above, it would be next to impossible to get all three, you'd have to select one of the forwards and Kulikov..if Wheeler is that good, then take Wheeler and Kulikov and look ahead to Weiss and Franzen becoming healthy this season and being able to contribute...

...although I have a strange feeling Weiss may be out longer than we expect...

speaking of Weiss...what is it with the #90? Sheesh! I remember when he signed and said he would wear #90, someone on here said, "Oh no, not 90!" and there you have it, the voodoo of #90 struck again...

www.thinkdunes.com

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Oops, my bad on Weiss....so basically just as Kip referred to above, it would be next to impossible to get all three, you'd have to select one of the forwards and Kulikov..if Wheeler is that good, then take Wheeler and Kulikov and look ahead to Weiss and Franzen becoming healthy this season and being able to contribute...

speaking of Weiss...what is it with the #90? Sheesh! I remember when he signed and said he would wear #90, someone on here said, "Oh no, not 90!" and there you have it, the voodoo of #90 struck again...

I hope to god weiss changes that number - it is terrible. On another note - do you see a guy in the future like Mantha wearing 91 at some point?

Edited by dirtydangles, 13 January 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I hope to god weiss changes that number - it is terrible. 

give hime 81 it worked for hossa, plus 8+1 = 9. all problems solved

#34 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Evidently Tatar was eyeing going back to #90 before Weiss grabbed it.  Which would be worse?

#35 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Just FYI Winnipeg has publicly stated they're not trading any of their core players for picks/prospects.

They would expect a player or players of similar ability/age.  Not unproven talent.

Unfortunate for us.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#36 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, they'd most likely get injured getting off the plane...

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

No to Nyquist and Patterson... Marchenko, ALmqvist and Pulkkinen I am neither here nor there on...but if you are giving up two D prospects, better have at least one D man coming back...IMO.  I think a trade involving Kindl and Quincey is likely, but they won't return us Ladd and Wheeler or Bogo...unless they are padding to a package deal...

No to Nyquist and Patterson when we'd have Ladd and Wheeler with Mrazek as our #1 G prospect?  You want D, then bring up Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Jensen...and draft more Dmen this offseason.  Getting 2 top 6 forwards who play 200 foot games and are big, physical guys.....I'll give up quite a bit for that.  But we'll need to dump salary on my original deal, so we'll have to give them Quincey as well who can be replaced by an ape to take penalties and we can try to pawn Sammy off on them for them getting some damn good prospects.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

They sellout every game and yet they're twenty-fourth in average attendance?

This firing is all about the bottom line and how for some fans, the honeymoon is over in the 'peg (though this article was written before the hammer fell).

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

They sellout every game and yet they're twenty-fourth in average attendance?

This firing is all about the bottom line and how for some fans, the honeymoon is over in the 'peg (though this article was written before the hammer fell).

That article is hilarious.  The honeymoon is over, but try going to the game with someone and sitting beside them.  Cheveldayoff should be next to get the axe.  Noel was a lame coach, but he works with the offseason acquisitions the GM makes and just like our Wings, he's had a couple subpar offseasons.  The Jets realistically need to package Kane and Setoguchi for a 1st line C and they should have just kept Maxwell and Machachek for the bottom 6 instead of changing mainly all but Tangradi on that front.  The 24th in attendance is due to the MTS Centre having 14200 seats I believe, though over 15K show up to every game.  They need to rip the roof off and add 3000 seats to that place.

As far as the trades go, if they want roster players and not prospects, then I have no idea what we'd offer them.  Nyquist, Franzen and Weiss?  :lol:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Oh hey, would you look at that!  Jets whipping the Coyotes.  No trades necessary.  /sarcasm