Photo
- - - - -

Would you trade Jimmy for a top pairing dman?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Mrazek has played a handful of games and Gus while he has played well doesn't really have a track record and is constantly hurt. Howard is by far our best option.

If we where a top d-man away from winning the cup, you would definitely have to consider it. But the team as it's set up now has many problems and by trading Jimmy new problems will arise. Plus a top d-man plays at most maybe 28 min a game, I know I'm stating the obvious but a goalie plays the whole game which makes him the most important player on the team.

The wings don't have many strengths and Howard's subpar play not withstanding, goaltending for the Wings is a position of strength. I would hate to find out what this team looks like when that strength is depleted.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

If I am trading Jimmy, it is definitely a package deal...

to WPG: Jimmy Howard, Jakub Kindl, Kyle Quincey

to DET: Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Bogosian

:lol: I know, I know...but one can dream!

I would like to squeeze Andrew Ladd out of them somehow as well! Maybe throw in Andersson, Ferraro and a pick and they can add Setoguchi and Ladd...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

We've got plenty enough assets to make a meaningful trade, maybe two.  The thing is, to do that you've got to give something of value and in the past when LGW members say we've got nothing to trade it's because they don't want to give anything up.  It's akin to saying "We've got nothing to trade because I'd rather not trade our 1st, or Smith, or Nyquist, or Tatar, or any of our top prospects."

And it's perfectly true that if you exclude everything of value on our team then we've got nothing to trade.

Exactly.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

...sidenote, IF Buffalo is going to get rid of Miller, you  have to take a shot at getting him. Although the price would be steeper to us, being in the same division... I'd also inquire in New York to Rick Nash's availability...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Exactly.

Currently, over in the Jets thread, the exact phenomenon I discussed above it taking place. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Whats that Kip? The WPG fans don't want to give anything of value up?

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Whats that Kip? The WPG fans don't want to give anything of value up?

The thread he's referring to is the "Jets" thread here on LGWs. The one where they fired the coaches. The one where we're all talking trades.

The phenomenon he's referring to could very well be that you don't want to trade Nyquist and Patterson.

Edited by rick zombo, 13 January 2014 - 03:13 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#28 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I think Holland will push for Girardi but I hear reports that NY wants way too much for a UFA. Realistically it should take Quincey for salary reasons, a pick and a mid tier prospect and that's a lot. Not having Kindl and Quincey playing and adding a guy like Girardi would make our D look much better.

I don't think Howard getting traded is a possibility for at least a year or two

#29 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Has there ever been one time where any of these dreamed up trade scenarios has ever come true?

No seriously ... ever?

#30 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

I think Holland will push for Girardi but I hear reports that NY wants way too much for a UFA. Realistically it should take Quincey for salary reasons, a pick and a mid tier prospect and that's a lot. Not having Kindl and Quincey playing and adding a guy like Girardi would make our D look much better.

I don't think Howard getting traded is a possibility for at least a year or two

Alot of rumor sites have him going super high, if he gets traded at all.  But in all the rumors I've seen about Girardi, I've never seen Detroit linked to him (for what that's worth). 

Has there ever been one time where any of these dreamed up trade scenarios has ever come true?

No seriously ... ever?

I don't know, you should start a thread about it.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#31 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Alot of rumor sites have him going super high, if he gets traded at all.  But in all the rumors I've seen about Girardi, I've never seen Detroit linked to him (for what that's worth). 

Problem this year is a lot of teams need a top 4 defensemen. I'd rather trade for a reliable cheap defensemen than try and outbid half the league for a top 4. It's just not the right time. I would even resign Quincey for like 1.5M. Kindl needs to go and promote a GR guy

#32 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I don't know, you should start a thread about it.

It's not really my thing to attempt to begin discussions about the possibility of pigs flying to Mars.

There is virtually zero chance that the Red Wings are entertaining the idea of, or would at this juncture, trade Jimmy Howard.

At least some of you realize that, right?

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

It's not really my thing to attempt to begin discussions about the possibility of pigs flying to Mars.

There is virtually zero chance that the Red Wings are entertaining the idea of, or would at this juncture, trade Jimmy Howard.

At least some of you realize that, right?

Hard to say, what are the odds that you're a beacon of light in an age of intellectual darkness? 

Are those odds greater or smaller than the odds that many people specifically joined this forum because they enjoy mulling over hypothetical trade scenarios?

#34 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hard to say, what are the odds that you're a beacon of light in an age of intellectual darkness? 

Are those odds greater or smaller than the odds that many people specifically joined this forum because they enjoy mulling over hypothetical trade scenarios?

Smaller, it's a fact that many member join for trade, free agent, or draft discussion. But that's cool there is something for everyone like at a Thai massage parlor...

Edited by MasterPavel, 13 January 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#35 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hard to say.

Regarding trade scenarios, I'm hip if there's even a smidgen of possibility, based on anything at all tangible. Hypothetical dream scenarios don't belong on the main board ... but that's not my call.

Again, I don't think there's a chance at a Howard trade ... at all.

I joined the forum to read and discuss news about my favorite NHL team. Something I find I can do to some extent, if I'm willing to wade through the pollution that really doesn't need to exist on the main board.

Get er done Kenny! Cleary sucks!

#36 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

It's pretty easy to avoid topics you're not interested in, let alone comment on them.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

Zombo, I just think you could acquire Ladd, Wheeler or Bogo for other prospects than Nyquist and Patterson.  I think Patterson is going to be GR goalie for a few years then when the Wings are done with Howard, he will be up to back up Mrazek.  But, that is just my opinion...there are a few other prospects down there that can get us what we need and I'd rather part with those than Nyquist and sure fire goaltender...but Holland is not beyond mistakes, and sometimes he makes good deals as well. Kip was referring to people not wanting to give up anything to get something, I am the contrary to that.  I would gladly trade Franzen, Howard, Quincey, Kindl or Ericsson from our roster, along with prospects, picks if it meant upgrading our team...I just think it wouldn't take as high a prospect as Nyquist to do so, especially if you involve established NHL players...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#38 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

If Winnipeg wants a goalie + Nyquist for Ladd, Wheeler, or Bogo and not other prospects, would this deal be a no-go for you all?

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#39 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

If Winnipeg wants a goalie + Nyquist for Ladd, Wheeler, or Bogo and not other prospects, would this deal be a no-go for you all?

Yes.  I'm not against trading assets, but Nyquist certainly is one of them.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hard to say.

Regarding trade scenarios, I'm hip if there's even a smidgen of possibility, based on anything at all tangible. Hypothetical dream scenarios don't belong on the main board ... but that's not my call.

Again, I don't think there's a chance at a Howard trade ... at all.

I joined the forum to read and discuss news about my favorite NHL team. Something I find I can do to some extent, if I'm willing to wade through the pollution that really doesn't need to exist on the main board.

Get er done Kenny! Cleary sucks!

We're all awful sorry that our discussions bother you so much.  In the future we'll do our best to make sure that your experience here is a good one.  Lords knows how aggravating it must be for you to watch all us peons befuddling ourselves over irrelevant flights of fancy.  I mean, how could you not look down your nose with an air of elitist contempt while surrounded by all us low brow hayseeds.  You poor man.