• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

2010-2011 drafts will be our savior

Rate this topic

Just looking at the pasts drafts and my god , still early but those 2 drafts could end up saving us painful rebuilding years

We could of drafted "maybe" our future top 4 dmen In the 2010 draft alone in Ouellet sproul backman marchenko

Our potential (star goalie in my opinion ) future goalie mrazek

Then add jurco sheahan jarnkrok pulkkinen up front ... Wow

Just can't help to think (and hope) years down the road people will be once again in awe of the redwings draft history .... Can't wait to see these kids play

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Just looking at the pasts drafts and my god , still early but those 2 drafts could end up saving us painful rebuilding years

We could of drafted "maybe" our future top 4 dmen In the 2010 draft alone in Ouellet sproul backman marchenko

Our potential (star goalie in my opinion ) future goalie mrazek

Then add jurco sheahan jarnkrok pulkkinen up front ... Wow

Just can't help to think (and hope) years down the road people will be once again in awe of the redwings draft history .... Can't wait to see these kids play

Up front jurco and jarnkrok are the only ones potentially who might be very good. Ouellet and Sproul could be top 4 but other than that and mrazek, I don't think there is much else, Sheahan is serviceable, but top 6 he is not, and none of those guys are the next lidstrom or Datsyuk

Up front jurco and jarnkrok are the only ones potentially who might be very good. Ouellet and Sproul could be top 4 but other than that and mrazek, I don't think there is much else, Sheahan is serviceable, but top 6 he is not, and none of those guys are the next lidstrom or Datsyuk

I think sheahan can be part of a really good future 3rd line with Helm? He's got the size ... And it's to early to tell but I think backman can be really good I just saw a swedish article on him about leading the league at +23 , yes I know it's not the nhl but it's still a good accomplishment especially that he's only 21

None of these guys has yet played a full season in the NHL, so how about waiting before we overhype them ? There is definately some potential but at the end of the day. I think, they are going to help fo sure but how much well the jury is still out on that.

The biggest hurdles will be replacing Pasha and Z either through UFA or draft :(

Jurco is going to be very good, and I wouldn't sleep on Pulks yet. His skating and two way game has improved. I'm not trying to say he is the next stud but a defensively responsible Michael Ryder type would be a great addition to the bottom 6.

None of these guys has yet played a full season in the NHL, so how about waiting before we overhype them ? There is definately some potential but at the end of the day. I think, they are going to help fo sure but how much well the jury is still out on that.

The biggest hurdles will be replacing Pasha and Z either through UFA or draft :(

Replacing those guys will have to be done by committee. Outside of Jurco and Mantha there are no other top tier guys. There are however a lot of guys that are going to be great additions and add quality depth which we have been lacking. Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, and our D prospects grade out very highly.

Most of these prospects aren't going to reach expectations, but with past history of drafting a few should develop to form the next core of the franchise.

Edited by MasterPavel

Guest mjtm77

I gotta agree with what The few people on here have said. IMO our prospect pool is good and deep the only issue being we have no super stars. Mantha and jurco are good, but as we speak they are not super stars. Replacing z and d is going to be extreamly harder then people think. having a team led by mediocre first line players is going to be a nightmare

Edited by mjtm77

I gotta agree with what The few people on here have said. IMO our prospect pool is good and deep the only issue being we have no super stars. Mantha and jurco are good, but as we speak they are not super stars. Replacing z and d is going to be extreamly harder then people think. having a team led by mediocre first line players is going to be a nightmare

Realistically, without big trades or FA signings, we are looking at a best case scenario of being a team in the mold of St Louis, but worse, in 4-5 years. Forward depth without superstars, defense depth with 1-2 great d-men, good goaltending.

Holland should probably take a good long look at our prospects and see what's out there trade-wise. I'd consider putting together a package for a guy like Yakupov for example.

Edited by dat's sick

Yeesh, a little negative aren't you? Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't sure things, either. I'd say of all our prospects we are bound to have at least one develop into a superstar. Pundits have praised our 2010 and 2011 draft, not just the OP. I can't say for sure who will be the superstar, but I'm betting whoever plays the most unique or versatile game will be the next Big One.

As for defensemen, they don't hit their prime until around 28, so we've got a while even after their NHL debut to see greatness.

And even if we don't get a superstar out of that draft, Tatar is only going to get better and stronger. He has the skill and the fire to improve constantly.

Plus, chemistry is king. Even without a superstar, we could wind up with the highest balance and chemistry levels since mos of these kids have played with each other and succeeded.

I think the future looks very bright, but are these guys Yzerman's, Fedorov's, Lidstrom's and Shanahan's? Nope... although Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick and I am sure NOBODY envisioned what he turned in to or he would have been a 1st overall.

I am optimistic about the guys the OP listed, outside of Pulkkinen, who seems to be dropping down the chart. At 23 years old, he needs to make that jump to NHL worthy soon. He has one more season of waiver exemption, but I honestly see him being one of the guys packaged in a trade along with Almqvist...there are just too many guys at their age and waiver exemption level that seem to be in a better position to be in the NHL. For example, off season 2015 BOTH Pulkkinen and Jarnkrok are out of waiver exemptions, Jarnkrok still tops you prospects list and Pulkkinen still rides in the bottom 10...who do you keep? Jarnkrok, obvious choice. So trading Pulkkinen before that decision has to be made makes most sense. Same with Almqvist. He is out of options this off season, but do you shy away from a trade if someone wants him, knowing he is falling down the chart a bit PLUS you have Backman, Ouellet and Sproul all better than him coming up and seemingly more ready for spot play in the NHL than Almqvist...

Callahan, Ferraro, Sheahan, Almqvist (among a few others) are all out of waiver exemptions this off season. Jarnkrok, Jurco and Pulkkinen are out of options NEXT off season, decision will need to be made since the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Helm, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, etc...are not going anywhere withint two years or more. There just isn't much room on this roster and trades will need to be made in order to get some value for these guys...

Heck, and I didn't even mention Tatar and Nyqiust! Andersson is still here, but is a very tradable asset, although Babcock seems to be in love with him and we all know how that works out if Babcock loves you...ahem, Cleary, cough, cough, ahem...

Edited by LeftWinger

you are most likely right but even still, two top 6 forwards, two top 4 d, and a starting goalie are a pretty damn good couple of draft years picking anywhere, let alone the medeocre picks the wings get year after year.. and let's not forget frk, mantha, & potentially nastasiuk.

and of course, hampus melen :P

just one question for all the pessimist's out there, just who was the last sure thing or real deal we did actually draft? I would dare to say we could say Martin Lapointe back in '91so id argue that we have got a potential replacement for both Z and Pav, they just havent arrived at the big club yet. Its a wait a see exercise.

We are looking good any way you put it. Even if we don't have two superstars we surely have a a few all-stars in the making and great bottom six and bottom 3 D. When D and Z go at worst case scenario we would have to sign a couple big names and we are a serious competitor as we will have the rest of the team built.

Nyquist and Tatar already proven they are going to be atleast 2nd line caliber. Mantha is putting up insane stats its hard not to be highly optimistic of his future, sure there is a chance he might not pan out at the next level but not many guys put up the stats has is in juniors. You can't ignore that or discredit it. Sproul, Quellet, all these guys are looking really good. Dekeyser, Ericsson, Abs, Helm, all pieces young enough to be apart of the future with these prospects.

I think the future looks very bright, but are these guys Yzerman's, Fedorov's, Lidstrom's and Shanahan's? Nope... although Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick and I am sure NOBODY envisioned what he turned in to or he would have been a 1st overall.

I am optimistic about the guys the OP listed, outside of Pulkkinen, who seems to be dropping down the chart. At 23 years old, he needs to make that jump to NHL worthy soon. He has one more season of waiver exemption, but I honestly see him being one of the guys packaged in a trade along with Almqvist...there are just too many guys at their age and waiver exemption level that seem to be in a better position to be in the NHL. For example, off season 2015 BOTH Pulkkinen and Jarnkrok are out of waiver exemptions, Jarnkrok still tops you prospects list and Pulkkinen still rides in the bottom 10...who do you keep? Jarnkrok, obvious choice. So trading Pulkkinen before that decision has to be made makes most sense. Same with Almqvist. He is out of options this off season, but do you shy away from a trade if someone wants him, knowing he is falling down the chart a bit PLUS you have Backman, Ouellet and Sproul all better than him coming up and seemingly more ready for spot play in the NHL than Almqvist...

Callahan, Ferraro, Sheahan, Almqvist (among a few others) are all out of waiver exemptions this off season. Jarnkrok, Jurco and Pulkkinen are out of options NEXT off season, decision will need to be made since the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Helm, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, etc...are not going anywhere withint two years or more. There just isn't much room on this roster and trades will need to be made in order to get some value for these guys...

Heck, and I didn't even mention Tatar and Nyqiust! Andersson is still here, but is a very tradable asset, although Babcock seems to be in love with him and we all know how that works out if Babcock loves you...ahem, Cleary, cough, cough, ahem...

Pulkkinen isn't 23 he just turned 22 this month .... It's way too early to say he's a bust .... I'd consider trading him depending on the deal but I'd say he's gonna be an nhler and from what i read over the years he can shoot

Someone else mentioned maybe going after yakupov .....I'd be careful , I can totally see him leaving for the khl in a few years

I am just going by the scouting reports. He currently sits at spot 11 in their top 25, which isn't bad at all, but he is on the way down the list, and he needs to step it up a bit to start crawling back up it. I don't think he is a bust, but he IS out of exemptions next off season along with Jurco and Jarnkrok, who both right now occupy two of their top 4 on the prospects list. Mrazek and Matha are the other two with Ouellet rounding out the top 5.

My point was, next off season all of Jarnkrok, Jurco and Pullkinen are out of exemtions, couple that with the 4 top prospects that are out of exemption this off season, the #11 spot and not moving up is not a good place to be when it comes to choosing one or two of those three guys in 2015. Right now, if you had to choose two of the three, it would be Jurco and Jarnkrok.

This season you have to make decisions on Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan and Nyqvist. (Parkes, Emmerton, Aubry, Nestrasil, Coetzee and Fournier are also out of exemptions this summer.)

Next season, like I mentioned above, Jurco, Pullkinen and Jarnkrok are out of exemptions. Not to mention Nicastro also...

Its easy math, too many prospects without exemptions and nowhere near enough roster spots in Detroit...

I am just going by the scouting reports. He currently sits at spot 11 in their top 25, which isn't bad at all, but he is on the way down the list, and he needs to step it up a bit to start crawling back up it. I don't think he is a bust, but he IS out of exemptions next off season along with Jurco and Jarnkrok, who both right now occupy two of their top 4 on the prospects list. Mrazek and Matha are the other two with Ouellet rounding out the top 5.

My point was, next off season all of Jarnkrok, Jurco and Pullkinen are out of exemtions, couple that with the 4 top prospects that are out of exemption this off season, the #11 spot and not moving up is not a good place to be when it comes to choosing one or two of those three guys in 2015. Right now, if you had to choose two of the three, it would be Jurco and Jarnkrok.

This season you have to make decisions on Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan and Nyqvist. (Parkes, Emmerton, Aubry, Nestrasil, Coetzee and Fournier are also out of exemptions this summer.)

Next season, like I mentioned above, Jurco, Pullkinen and Jarnkrok are out of exemptions. Not to mention Nicastro also...

Its easy math, too many prospects without exemptions and nowhere near enough roster spots in Detroit...

Not sure where you get this info from. Out of the players you mentioned for that year, the only players losing exemption in 2015 offseason is Jurco.

Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen and even Nicastro don't expire until 2016 because their pro contracts didn't start until this year. The CBA and capgeek waiver calculator confirm this.

They can all stay with Grand Rapids next season so we still got a long time to go before we decide .... Pulkkinen just turned 22 and I'd say there's a good chance he hits 20 + goals in his first season

If he comes back next year and is on fire and gets 30+ I'm sure we'll give him every chance to make the team

Samuelson clearly bertuzzi eaves are all gonna go ... Maybe alfredsson ... Who knows maybe one of miller Andersson will be dealt .... There's gonna be a lot of spots opening up next few seasons

I expect sheahan to be here next year with glendening (unfortunately)and Callahan will get a shot , I can't see Ferraro being here longterm

I'm pretty high on our prospect pool. Why? Becase the talent, yes, but mostly because we're good at picking and developing. I get that we don't have any obvious SUPERSTARS!!! in the immediate pipeline, but...when was the last time we really did? I mean guys that we KNEW were going to be HUGE. Franzen has been a consistent top-six producer and was a force to be reckoned with earlier in his NHL career. Was anyone jumping for joy when we drafted him? Kid SUPERSTARS!!! are exceedingly rare. And they haven't been our bread and butter for awhile now. We try to get a number of solid players and one or two gems. That's doable. Hell, Tatar's already making a case for himself as a future 40-goal scorer. As a point of comparison, Franzen had 16 points in his first season with the Wings (12 goals, 4 assists).

About Pulkkinen, because everyone seems to hate him - he's Nyquist-quick, is a pure sniper (something we absolutely, positively do not have on the current roster), and competes very, very hard (e.g. can take a lot of abuse and just keep on going). Small? You bet. Facing a real uphill battle at the NHL level? Without a doubt. But every player starts as a prospect. (Terrible argument, I know.)

I expect sheahan to be here next year with glendening (unfortunately)

What's wrong with Glendening? I like what he's brought to the team. Hasn't scored, but he's not going to be a scorer at the NHL level. He's going to be a bottom-six grinder. There's a bit of Helm in him.

Edited by Dabura

and of course, hampus melen :P

According to RWC, Melen has been diagnosed with an acute respiratory disease after experiencing extreme fatigue and will miss the rest of the season. I don't know much about this or how it will affect him in the future, but from the sounds of it he's seeing the #1 specialist in Sweden and it's something he can overcome? Hakan Andersson said he's optimistic he'll be able to return by training camp next season. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the disease could shed more info about it.

I'm pretty high on our prospect pool. Why? Becase the talent, yes, but mostly because we're good at picking and developing. I get that we don't have any obvious SUSPERSTARS!!! in the immediate pipeline, but...when was the last time we really did? I mean guys that we KNEW were going to be HUGE. Franzen has been a consistent top-six producer and was a force to be reckoned with earlier in his NHL career. Was anyone jumping for joy when we drafted him? Kid SUPERSTARS!!! are exceedingly rare. And they haven't been our bread and butter for awhile now. We try to get a number of solid players and one or two gems. That's doable. Hell, Tatar's already making a case for himself as a future 40-goal scorer. As a point of comparison, Franzen had 16 points in his first season with the Wings (12 goals, 4 assists).

About Pulkkinen, because everyone seems to hate him - he's Nyquist-quick, is a pure sniper (something we absolutely, positively do not have on the current roster), and competes very, very hard (e.g. can take a lot of abuse and just keep on going). Small? You bet. Facing a real uphill battle at the NHL level? Without a doubt. But every player starts as a prospect. (Terrible argument, I know.)

What's wrong with Glendening? I like what he's brought to the team. Hasn't scored, but he's not going to be a scorer at the NHL level. He's going to be a bottom-six grinder. There's a bit of Helm in him.

All this glendening love just bugs me , he's a career 4th liner .... Still has 0 goals yet we keep calling him up ALL THE TIME yet Callahan who has been awesome this year and is out of waivers next season doesn't even get a sniff of the nhl?

Don't get it

Edited by nyqvististhefuture