• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

Fleury would not be a reach between 10-15

I agree with you, but the fact that he is considered a top ten pick tells you how shallow this year is on D. There is more value in the forward position where we are likely to pick. I'm probably wrong as usual so he will develop into the next Shea Weber, and you can rub it in my face for the next 15 years lol...

Ok trade deadline is no over. 21 games to go. How do we finish and where will we pick?

Just going back..... Some wanted to bash me for suggesting that little Tuzzi was a waste of a pick, when guys like Fasching were still on the board. He was the piece sent in trade yesterday for Moulson IIRC.

Also, before many were talking about Jarnkrok as a prospect, now everyone has joined my opinion that he wasn't top teir, while trying to defend picking up Legwand. Interesting.....

Ok trade deadline is no over. 21 games to go. How do we finish and where will we pick?

Just going back..... Some wanted to bash me for suggesting that little Tuzzi was a waste of a pick, when guys like Fasching were still on the board. He was the piece sent in trade yesterday for Moulson IIRC.

Also, before many were talking about Jarnkrok as a prospect, now everyone has joined my opinion that he wasn't top teir, while trying to defend picking up Legwand. Interesting.....

Haters gonna hate rich... One thing for sure now we have to draft a center in this draft. Who is ready to jump on the Virtanen or Tuch wagon? Edited by MasterPavel

After the last 21 games play out, the draft takes center stage. It will b interesting to see how the young guys do carrying the team. They do have talent. Can we get 21 out of the 42 possible points? Is that enough to make the playoffs? Or do we fall short? I still believe w end up somewhere in the middle.

On a draft note, the NHL gave NJ their pick back. BOOOOOOO

After the last 21 games play out, the draft takes center stage. It will b interesting to see how the young guys do carrying the team. They do have talent. Can we get 21 out of the 42 possible points? Is that enough to make the playoffs? Or do we fall short? I still believe w end up somewhere in the middle.

On a draft note, the NHL gave NJ their pick back. BOOOOOOO

NJ picks at 30. They would pick ahead of us in the 2nd anyways or we won't have a pick due to leggy.

Ok with the trade deadline pass, time for a little reset. As of today the RW's have the following roster for next season-only includes those that are signed or are RFA's:

Z-Datsyuk-Franzen

Jurco-Weiss-Tatar

Nyquist-Helm-Pulkinnen

Abby-Sheahan-Callahan

Miller-Andersson-Glendening

E-Kronwall

Dekeyser-Smith

Lashoff-Kindl

Almqvist

Howard

McCollom

That is 24 and doesn't include TooToo. At that point we should have 16 million or so left is cap space.

Now the griffins:

Mantha-AA-Nastasiuk

Tvrdon-Nestrasil-Frk

Oullett-Sproul

Wheaton?-Marchenko

McNulty-jensen

nedomlel-Nicastro

Backman-DeHaas

Mrazek

Coreau

Some of these guys may be in Toledo with guys like Paterson, or 1 more year in Junior or some college players.

As I have talked about before still a little thin at F. We do need 1 more F heavy draft to fill things out a bit.

Now, were/when we will pick? I firmly believe we will pick between 12-18. Even if we miss the PO's, it will not be by much, and it is a very small chance to win the lottery for the number 1 pick.

Before I get into draft picks again, I will remind everyone that soon the undrafted college/junior free agents get signed. 2 names to watch: Barcley Goodrow. he is a 6-2/215 LW that loves to play in close to the G's. he has 30 goals this year for North Bay. had over 20 last year. Spent time at our prospect camp this past summer. Would love to see us sign him. His skating is the question mark. he isn't very fast, been then again neither was Homer. Could he become that type of player in the pros?

Another name: Trevor van Riemsdyk. 6-2/190 RH D. He was one of the top NCAA Dman before he hurt his ankle this year. He does have 1 more year of eligibility IIRC, but the rumors are he will sign. If he is half as good as his brother, it would be money well spent.

1 or both would be awesome signings. Free talent!

Now some names. Unless a super falls, or we win the lottery the following guys are pretty much out If we are picking between 12-18.

Draisaitl

Reinhart

Bennett

dal Colle

Nylander

Ritchie

Virtanen

Goldobin

Perlimni

All are very good and highly rated F's. Most if not all will be gone in the top 10-12 picks.

So, what is left for us to look at? Ok lets look more in depth.

McCann 6-0/185 LH LW/C. High energy, good 2 way guy, with high hockey IQ.

Barbashev 6-1/185 LHed LW/C. good quickness and anticipation.

Pastrnak 5-10/165 RHed LW/C. A Tatar type of player.

Ehlers 6-0/170 LHed LW. Speed to burn.

Kapanen. 5-11/175 RHed RW. Good skill but plays tentative.

Larkin 6-1/190 LHed C/LW. Great 2 way player with some grit and has skill.

Tuch 6-4/225 RHed C/RW. Big, strong, good on his skates, great shot. Needs to be a bit quicker.

I am still on the Tuch bandwagon. He has over a point per game for US NTDP this year. 50 points in 45 games. he also has played C for them, not sure he has the speed for that position at the NHL level. But we are talking about a 18 year old. Plus he is 6-4/225 and RHed. Both things we need more of.

I am still on the Tuch bandwagon. He has over a point per game for US NTDP this year. 50 points in 45 games. he also has played C for them, not sure he has the speed for that position at the NHL level. But we are talking about a 18 year old. Plus he is 6-4/225 and RHed. Both things we need more of.

If there is one thing our organization develops is skating. The problem with putting him down the middle is you waste his best potential as a PF...

Draft all Dmen

That makes absolutely no sense. You are drafting for 2018-2019 right now. Oullette, Sproul, and Marchenko will be with the big club. Kronner, Ericcson, Dekeyser, and Smith will be too. All the while Pavel will be in his last year, Zetty maybe retired, Weiss contract will be up, and Helm will be injured. So I would venture to say centers and pf may be a tad bit more important in a draft very shallow with defensemen. Outside of the top two there isn't much quality.

MP you are correct. You draft for 3-5 years down the road. At that point in time Z with his bad back, Datsyuk with his bad knee, Franzen with his bad head, Helm with his general made of glassness could all be gone. Even if we were to resign Legwand-he would be 36-38 and will be done. The need is at F right now. Ideally we would have 2-3 prospects for every guy we are losing-law of averages on who works out. The only D we lose-baring trades are Kronwall and E. But we have 6-8 D prospects in the pipeline already. Add more in the later rounds. F's are the focus-unless a super drops.

MP you are correct. You draft for 3-5 years down the road. At that point in time Z with his bad back, Datsyuk with his bad knee, Franzen with his bad head, Helm with his general made of glassness could all be gone. Even if we were to resign Legwand-he would be 36-38 and will be done. The need is at F right now. Ideally we would have 2-3 prospects for every guy we are losing-law of averages on who works out. The only D we lose-baring trades are Kronwall and E. But we have 6-8 D prospects in the pipeline already. Add more in the later rounds. F's are the focus-unless a super drops.

Nope, only Defenders. Have you seen our forward corps?

Nope, only Defenders. Have you seen our forward corps?

Yes, and I see an aging core group. Which of our D prospects do you not find appealing? And you do realize that there are double the amount of forwards who play vs defenseman right??? Our prospect pool is much deeper at defense than forward. Again this is a terrible draft for defenseman. So you think it is a splendid idea to draft B level prospects because of position when there are still elite level guys on the board?

Yes, and I see an aging core group. Which of our D prospects do you not find appealing? And you do realize that there are double the amount of forwards who play vs defenseman right??? Our prospect pool is much deeper at defense than forward. Again this is a terrible draft for defenseman. So you think it is a splendid idea to draft B level prospects because of position when there are still elite level guys on the board?

(Shut up and let me troll Rich)