• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

I don't understand why u guys entertain the idea that holland will trade up. It's not going to happen. Forget about it or go become an Isles fan.

I'm not so sure. This is looking to be a pretty interesting draft day.

Personally, I'd be interested in Nashville, Phoenix Arizona, Dallas. Poile's under immense pressure to get his team back into the playoffs, and that's not going to happen unless they add some scoring punch. They might try the free agent market, but they're a budget team with relatively little allure. The Coyotes are in a similar position. Dallas - there's familiarity because of Nill, we're neighbors at 14 and 15, and I think both teams have discovered their youth is for real. I could see a deal being made with one of these Western teams. And, actually, I'd add the Caps to the list. I think we could help them, whether it's giving them some skill and veteran experience on their roster or maybe donating a couple of our NHL-ready prospects who probably don't have a future with the Wings (Almqvist, Ferraro).

Maybe add Anaheim and Winnipeg to the list. The Ducks are a contender with plenty of young talent; I bet they're not overly attached to the 10th pick. (Then again, perennial contenders rarely get to pick in the top 10.) Winnipeg - I know their whole thing is trying to draft well and build from within and never make an actual trade (sounds kinda familiar...), but, seriously, they need to make the playoffs and we could probably help.

Edited by Dabura

It'd be pretty much impossible to move Weiss or Franzen, but you never know. Then there's UFA rights, our fringe roster players, Smith, and our deep prospect pool. I think we could get something done. If it's for Florida's pick? I'd consider moving a key piece, even though they're divisional rivals who seem to have our number and are only going to get better, with or without our help. Ericsson's basically untouchable (loyalty), but I have to think he'd draw great interest from Florida and Edmonton and pretty much every team that wants a big, strong, veteran top-four defenseman (so...pretty much every team).

Edited by Dabura

Package our 1st and 3rd and next year's deep draft 2nd to get to #3.....there you'll get one of Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle or Ritchie. I'd take Draisaitl or Ritchie....although Reinhart is intriguing as well.

Edited by Shinzaki

Ideally, if the Wings' target players are gone by the 15th pick, I'd like to see Holland trade that pick in a package for a RH D-man. I don't know who would be available, but it would be a great opportunity to get that piece without giving up much.

We know that next year's draft is the deep one so either trade that pick for a D-man or trade down for 2nd/3rd round picks for next year.

Buffalo would definitely go for that, and for good reason... Ken wouldn't and shouldn't... 15 for 31 and 39 isn't a good trade in my opinion. I think it would be a good trade if we were picking around 25+ but not at 15. 15 is a good spot to be.

In saying that, I would possibly trade down with a team like Philadelphia or St. Louis if there was a guy that they really liked at 15 and we weren't all that thrilled with the pick. Something like 15 for 17 and 48 (Philly) or 15 for 24 and 33 (St. Louis). Just my opinion...

Edit: Sorry PumpkinEscobar, I misread. I didn't realize you said three of their 2nd rounders... I'm not sure if that would work either though, mostly because I think Buffalo as well as us should be looking for quality over quantity right now, considering we're both in the top of the league in prospects. We have a high quantity of prospects but I think we need a couple more higher quality prospects. Yes we could definitely grab one with one of our three 2nd rounders but I like our chances much better with the 15th pick. Again, just my opinion...

Edited by krsmith17

Trading up this year doesn't help us much. this draft is viewed as a weak draft by all the pundits. Going through the guys available at the top, none of them look to be guys that are ready to play now. yes one could surprise or find themselves in the NHL early by being on a bad team, but all look like they need 2-3 more years of development. We need NHL ready talent now. Even mantha-someone he is older and far more ready than anyone in this years draft is only a 50-50 shot of starting in the NHL this fall.

I like right where we are at. Smack dab in the center. This year, and possibly next season, is likely the last time we will pick this high. Last chance to boost the farm before the retool is complete.

Complete? One could make a very good argument that it really is just begining and will not be complete until we have the pieces in place to replace Datsyuk-3 years, Zetterberg 3-5 years, and Kronwall 3-5 years. Yes there are some young Dmen on the farm that may be able to replace Kornwall, but until they do we are just guessing. As of today there is no one on the RW's or in the system that looks even close to be able to replacing either one of Z or D.

Complete? One could make a very good argument that it really is just begining and will not be complete until we have the pieces in place to replace Datsyuk-3 years, Zetterberg 3-5 years, and Kronwall 3-5 years. Yes there are some young Dmen on the farm that may be able to replace Kornwall, but until they do we are just guessing. As of today there is no one on the RW's or in the system that looks even close to be able to replacing either one of Z or D.

Hate to say it but the replacement for those two will have to come through:

1. an excellent draft position (we are talking top 5) here

OR

2. superb UFA signing

I don't think hoping to get that lucky again and draft someone like Pasha or Z late will happen again, unfortunately.

Until a kid truly breaks out and becomes a star you can't replace them. I'm talking about a retool. Putting the young up and comers around them at the appropriate time.

The talent just isn't there in this draft. Last year was the year to add a bunch of extra picks. We added 1, but 2-3 more would have been great. This year, after the first round-even then after the first 20, is a crap shoot. Yes some will turn out, but there just isn't much there that excites anyone.

I saw one mock draft that had us taking Sonny Milano with the 15th pick. Seems like the type of player Holland would go after: small, but very skilled and fast. I have to say, I'm not very excited about this year's class. Next year will be something to watch, though.

I saw one mock draft that had us taking Sonny Milano with the 15th pick. Seems like the type of player Holland would go after: small, but very skilled and fast. I have to say, I'm not very excited about this year's class. Next year will be something to watch, though.

If Ritchie isn't available I want Rich, Perlini or someone from the 210 lbs + category. Do you think Draiseitl will drop a few spots because of his average skating? If so Wings should take a chance at him

Good god that Nylander kid is cocky stay away from him

Edited by frankgrimes

I think that Kindl will be gone to a different team before the 1st round of the draft is over.

Sure as hell hope so, I don't see a place for him after his awful year, but who knows. I'd like to see him packaged (in the right deal of course).

Yeah Frank, Nylander is not only cocky but overrated imo.

Right deal would be anything from a bag of pucks to a late draft pick lol. Kindle has had plenty of time, and opportunities it is time to part ways.

Sure as hell hope so, I don't see a place for him after his awful year, but who knows. I'd like to see him packaged (in the right deal of course).