• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2014 draft thoughts.

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

Keep it and take Ekblad if it's #1.. In the 15 range trade up and get Fleury

Fleury actually looks really good. We have too many d as it is tho...

With Howard going down, Monster with injuries issues, we may see a combo of Mrazek and Coreau sooner that we think. Not saying it will affect us too much (since we aren't playing good anyhow) but it could drop us further out of the playoff giving us a higher draft pick, possibly a top 5. That pick could and probably would get us an impact player in return if traded in a package.

Nyquist, Almqvist, Kindl and a Top 5 1st rounder would garner a pretty nice return! With the amount of talent in the pipeline, unless there is a slam dunk kid in the top 5-10, it probably makes more sense to trade the pick...

With Howard going down, Monster with injuries issues, we may see a combo of Mrazek and Coreau sooner that we think. Not saying it will affect us too much (since we aren't playing good anyhow) but it could drop us further out of the playoff giving us a higher draft pick, possibly a top 5. That pick could and probably would get us an impact player in return if traded in a package.

Nyquist, Almqvist, Kindl and a Top 5 1st rounder would garner a pretty nice return! With the amount of talent in the pipeline, unless there is a slam dunk kid in the top 5-10, it probably makes more sense to trade the pick...

When's the last time we had a top 5 pick?? No way would/should we get rid of that pick if we got it

Mrazek and McCollum maybe..Coreau can't crack the Griffins lineup

Mrazek and McCollum maybe..Coreau can't crack the Griffins lineup

McCollum all of a sudden seems like a prospect again I'd call him up to play a few games see how he does and send back down mrazek since he's doing absolutely nothing in detroit and he needs to play

2014 is a weak draft, but that doesn't mean there isn't talent. Last year there was 7 or 8 can't miss types, then 60-70 guys that all had a question about them but should be top 5 players on most teams in 5-7 years. This years draft has 3/4 can't miss types and about 35 guys that should be top 5 players on most teams. The depth just isn't here this year. Now 2015 looks like it will be better. That draft looks like it is very top heavy but we will see next year......

I've read everywhere that there seems to be a huge dropoff after Ekblad and Reinhart, which is only an opportunity for teams with good scouting to find some rough gems.

Draisaitl looks excellent as well if we would use this pick. I'd prefer trading a top 5 pick for a later pick and multiple picks from next years draft.

Just like last year we will sneak in the playoffs and pick around 15-20. Virtanen would be my top choice around that range. He reminds me of Corey Perry. Next year would be the year to make a youth movement, not take anybody in FA, and see where the chips fall. If it falls into 2015's top 5 pick I could somewhat cope with a bad year.

Edited by MasterPavel

Ehlers, Vrana, and Kapenan are falling into the mid first round according to a few mocks/ranking sites. Virtanen is rising a bit and may not be available around 15. Rich's guy Tuch is maintaining his 20th overall, but if he keeps up his offensive development I expect him to rise closer to June. ISS already has him climbing. This year's draft looks short on quality centers, so I would pray Jarnkrok develops offensively, and continue to address future scoring on the wing.

If drafting today, kempe will most likely be gone in the second. Most are now seeing him as a late 1st early second guy. So to revise and this might be a better pick based on needs, I go Keagan Iverson in the second. he plays like Helm, just 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier. he loves to skate and hit. Prefect #3 C in 3-5 years.

If we are gonna miss the playoffs we should draft Jake Virtanen. He is a better C, also RH, faster than Tuch, a fore-checking animal, has good size, and can really hold his own fighting. He projects as a higher end offensive prospect that already plays a nice two-way game. I've gotten off the Ehlers train since we do need to get bigger up the middle.

Pumpkin- A stay at home defenseman can be had in the later rounds or FA. We need to address the middle of our top 6. Virtanen, Tuch, Goldobin, or Barbashev would be a good start to the draft. If Kapenan were to fall even better, but most are starting to think he will be in the top 5 now. Who knows though with the new lottery system in place if we were to miss the playoffs.