What?

#262 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

What?

It's amazing how dependant I am on punctuation. I read that three times before I figured out where to pause.

#263 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Pull ups are a great test for overall body strength (core, back, shoulders, and arms). Hence why they are a staple in cross fit, sports development programs, and the Marine Corps. And you wonder why us jarheads ripped on you guys so much ;). I think Bennett will be fine with a good training program, and the proper diet. He can play hockey which is the most important factor, and as long as the drive is there he can develop enough strength over time to hold his own.

upper body yes, but not that exercise. When do hockey players ever have to use those motions? never. Pull ups are hard to do unless you do that specific exercise. back when I was in the army I could knock out 55-60 pushups every PT test. But 2-3 pull ups is the best I ever could do. Now as time has moved on..........nevermind.......lol

#264 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

A pro athlete should be able to manage a pull up regardless of the sport (unless u curl). I'm by no means anything close to athletic and I could hammer out more than a few as early as junior high, and even though I'm now old and out of shape I can still do at least a few. I don't think he's a bust bc he can't do one, but it is rather sad.

#265 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

A pro athlete should be able to manage a pull up regardless of the sport (unless u curl). I'm by no means anything close to athletic and I could hammer out more than a few as early as junior high, and even though I'm now old and out of shape I can still do at least a few. I don't think he's a bust bc he can't do one, but it is rather sad.

I might be mistaken but I think they did pull ups at the end of a long combine of tests. Its possible that he may have just been spent by that point. I'd bet he can do a pull-up when fresh. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#266 decorideas

decorideas

Mid 20th Century Old Fart

• 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

I like what little I have seen of Tuch as well. He plays Center & RW and although his skating is described as "ungainly", he is really strong on the puck. The kid uses his size and strength very effectively to hang onto the puck and he apparently has a cannon of a slap shot plus a powerful wrister. I value skill and finesse (preference of Wings for 20 yrs) but we need big, strong aggressive forwards and D-men to compete with the elite teams. Mantha and Tuch (LH and RH) with a solid Center would be a potentially great line with a couple of years experience.

#267 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

Bennett isn't a pro athlete yet. he is an 18 year old kid that will get drafted. he hasn't had a professional S & C program to build himself up. We seem to forget, these are HS kids.

dec, we used to have big strong players to go with our skill. 97,98, and 02 were lead by guys like Mccarty, Shanahan, lapointe, Kocur, Vladdy, Chelios, fetisov, ward, Pushor, etc.... to go along with the smaller skill guys like yzerman, fedorov, kozlov, larionov, and Hull. There is a fine balance that every team has to find. Philly has always been to far to the size side of things while we have gone to far on the small skill side of things. Teams like Chicago, LAK and Boston have both. No the Bhawks don't fight, but most of their stars have good size. Toews is 6-2/205 which is the same size as our "big bodies": Abby, Sheahan, Jurco, Andersson etc.....

#268 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

A week to go. Do we keep the pick? If so, yes Tuch, Kempe, Larkin, and a couple others makes great sense in the first. If we trade it, trade all the picks! LOL

Then we can move onto the 2015 draft which is a much better draft with far more to talk about.

#269 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

I love Tuch's size and shot. However I am split between him or McCann as who I would choose. I like Kempe and Larkin just not as much as others.

#270 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

I still would be extremely happy with Ritchie if there is a slight chance that hey may be available at 15 keep the pick. Guy already has great size

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#271 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

From the guys I think will be in our range I would be happy with quite a few players:

Perlini, Fabbri, Barbashev, McCann, Virtanen, Scherbak Schmaltz, Bleackley

I honestly don't have a favourite pick for this year - its so hard to tell who will be left at 15. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#272 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

hopefully a bunch of dudes the wings like are still available at 15 so we could trade down like we did last year.

or we could just draft tuch and call it good. im fine either way

#273 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

hopefully a bunch of dudes the wings like are still available at 15 so we could trade down like we did last year.
or we could just draft tuch and call it good. im fine either way

If McCann or Tuch are not available then trading down, and picking up Vrana would be ideal. Hopefully we get someones 1st this year and 2nd next year. We need to stock up on picks for next years draft to either trade up, or replenish the depth that will be in the NHL soon.

#274 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'd prefer to see Holland trade up this year. Ekblad is out of reach but then trade up to grab one of the skilled, physical forwards. Red Wings have depth and plenty of skill but no size whatsoever.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#275 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'd prefer to see Holland trade up this year. Ekblad is out of reach but then trade up to grab one of the skilled, physical forwards. Red Wings have depth and plenty of skill but no size whatsoever.

Offer them our first Nyquist and Jurco Ekblads potential is sky high him at Dekeyser at the blueline would be an unbelievable pairing for more than a decade

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#276 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

That is a terrible idea. So we would give up a 30 goal scorer that without we wouldn't have been in the playoffs. Plus a potential 30 goal scoring power forward for a guy who most people project as a borderline 1, strong 2 dman. Ekblad is no Doughty or Weber...

Offer them our first Nyquist and Jurco Ekblads potential is sky high him at Dekeyser at the blueline would be an unbelievable pairing for more than a decade

#277 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

i dont think FLA would be very interested in Nyquist and Jurco, they are not elite. As mentioned before, I think Dekeyser and a pick or prospect might catch their attention. But then the price is much steeper.

#278 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

i dont think FLA would be very interested in Nyquist and Jurco, they are not elite. As mentioned before, I think Dekeyser and a pick or prospect might catch their attention. But then the price is much steeper.

Florida is looking to trade #1 because they don't necessarily need anymore young defenseman. I would love Ekblad, but not at the price it would cost to get him.

#279 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha and the evil Franzen all have size. Dekeyser, Smith, Marchenko, Sproul, and Bäckman are all 6'2" or taller. AA2 is actually much bigger than most people think at 6'2" 200lbs. I imagine he would put on at least another 5lbs working out in GR. The kid we just signed from across the pond, Nosek is 6'2" 202 lbs. (exact same size as Kesler) We have also 4 young Dmen out there who are 6'5" or taller.

We have definitely been investing more in size and skill lately. To insinuate that we have only been picking 5'10" 160lb guys is dumb.

Interesting note. I went back to look at last years prospect rankings and Sproul has gone from 6'3" 186 lbs to 6'4 205 lbs. He may be closer to 215lbs by the time he reaches the NHL.

#280 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Florida is looking to trade #1 because they don't necessarily need anymore young defenseman. I would love Ekblad, but not at the price it would cost to get him.

If you mean they want NHL ready players then I'm with you because FLA is not terribly young on defense. I dont think they would turn down Dekeyser because of his age. He is 24 and has already shown he is NHL ready. Now, Dekeyser is probably a top 5 favorite Red Wing for me, he is someone I really dont want to give up, but people must realize that other teams are not looking to trade away their assets for leftovers. If you want something good, it will be a key player going in the opposite direction. It will not be Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco other teams will be calling for. It will be Dekeyser, Mantha, Mrazek or Sheahan.

Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha and the evil Franzen all have size. Dekeyser, Smith, Marchenko, Sproul, and Bäckman are all 6'2" or taller. AA2 is actually much bigger than most people think at 6'2" 200lbs. I imagine he would put on at least another 5lbs working out in GR. The kid we just signed from across the pond, Nosek is 6'2" 202 lbs. (exact same size as Kesler) We have also 4 young Dmen out there who are 6'5" or taller.

We have definitely been investing more in size and skill lately. To insinuate that we have only been picking 5'10" 160lb guys is dumb.

Interesting note. I went back to look at last years prospect rankings and Sproul has gone from 6'3" 186 lbs to 6'4 205 lbs. He may be closer to 215lbs by the time he reaches the NHL.

When did I insinuate that we only picked up 5'10 160 lb players? Also how many of these bigger guys actually play big and physical? None imo.