• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#281 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Wanted to go back and review this thread from the beginning. My first post was all about our strengths at G and D and the need for forwards. the second post was 3 targets for us to go after, one of which was larkin. Second year in a row that I had the draft pretty well nailed.

We ended up at 15, which back in January was the same spot. With our 7 picks we took 1 G and 6 forwards, all of which that are over 6ft tall. For years we had some crazy man crush on small players. The past 2-3 drafts we are finally drafting guys with modern NHL size. Overall great job by Holland and company!

Now we have no idea how any of these guys will turn out. The draft is all about getting value with each pick. This year we did it and didn't have any reaches. Very happy overall.

Once the season gets going again, I will still posting thoughts about the 2015 draft. But in about a week I will be taking a hockey break to enjoy the rest of the summer. waiting until the UFA period happens of course.

#282 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Wanted to go back and review this thread from the beginning. My first post was all about our strengths at G and D and the need for forwards. the second post was 3 targets for us to go after, one of which was larkin. Second year in a row that I had the draft pretty well nailed.
We ended up at 15, which back in January was the same spot. With our 7 picks we took 1 G and 6 forwards, all of which that are over 6ft tall. For years we had some crazy man crush on small players. The past 2-3 drafts we are finally drafting guys with modern NHL size. Overall great job by Holland and company!
Now we have no idea how any of these guys will turn out. The draft is all about getting value with each pick. This year we did it and didn't have any reaches. Very happy overall.
Once the season gets going again, I will still posting thoughts about the 2015 draft. But in about a week I will be taking a hockey break to enjoy the rest of the summer. waiting until the UFA period happens of course.

I'm glad you're taking a break, you worked hard this season. Looking forward to 2015.

#283 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

You answered your own point.  Many years the Wings haven't had a 1st rounder, when they did it was often nearer a 2nd rounder.  So they had to go for "value" .  That often meant smaller, skilled players, or bigger less skilled players.  Because the big, skilled players are gone by picks 10-15.  

You think a 6-3 Kronwall is available at 29?  A 6-0 Hudler at 58?  A 6-2 Filpulla at 95?  A 6-2 Nyquist at 121?  A 6-1 Tatar at 60?

Most of our bigger, less skilled players didn't work out, whereas we had more success with the smaller, skilled guys.  But the last few drafts the Wings have publicly said they know the pendulum swung too far that way.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#284 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

One early thought about 2015. we will not be drafting McDavid. So please stop now. LOL

#285 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

One early thought about 2015. we will not be drafting McDavid. So please stop now. LOL

Let's trade Mantha, Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, all of our 2015 draft picks, and a game used Howe Jersey for the 1st pick.

#286 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Any early predictions on who will be bad enough to land McDavid? If Florida could pull it off they'd have a nice start on a solid future.

#287 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Any early predictions on who will be bad enough to land McDavid? If Florida could pull it off they'd have a nice start on a solid future.

Edmonton :P

#288 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

This team as it is today will be a bubble team, so they could get McDavid, it's just very unlikely. But why rebuild when you can play 5 playoff games a year?

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#289 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Edmonton :P

They've had a top 10 pick in 7 of the last 8 drafts including 3 #1s in a row and the year they drafted outside the top 10 they still snagged Eberle in the 1st round. If they don't become a legitimate dynasty in the next five years the system is broken!

#290 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Buffalo!!!

#291 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Sabres and god knows they deserve some luck but I can't stand Murray

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#292 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Axel Holmstrom says:

Sick. Best birthday present ever, I will do whatever it takes to put that red & white jersey on. @DetroitRedWings

https://twitter.com/...249847844470785

I like this kid already.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#293 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Maybe we are going after Mcdavid.......

#294 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

We are still better than Buffalo, Ottawa, Winnipeg, New Jersey, and Florida. So yeah weay end up woth a small shot at Connor...

#295 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Next year's worst team will no doubt be one of Florida, Buffalo or the Islanders.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#296 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

Next year's worst team will no doubt be one of Florida, Buffalo or the Islanders.

Watch Florida and buffalo make the playoffs and we don't.

#297 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

My not-so-dark horse pick for the first overall pick next year: Ottawa Senators.

#298 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

My not-so-dark horse pick for the first overall pick next year: Ottawa Senators.

They have become much worse but bad enough to outtank the Sabres? Tough call I could see the Wings and Senators battling for a top 5 pick but That David kid might be a reach

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#299 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

sabers will be the worst team. id bet money on it. their front office is tanking on purpose. but they probably wont get the first pick though.

#300 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Sabres will be the worst. They're doing the best rebuilds since Chicago and Pit. They're not half-assing it like Calgary. BTW I don't think we've sunk even close to that level yet.