• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Something else to watch and keep in mind over the next couple of years. The new CBA changed-lowered, the number of years guys can be hid in the minors before they have to clear waivers. IIRC it went from 5 years to 3 years. This pretty much kills the old RW stand by of "overripening". This might push more guys into college hockey. before most guys got drafted, played 1 more year of junior, then played in the minors for up to 5 years. meaning teams had control for 6 years before they got to the NHL. Now teams have 4 years for most guys. Final year in junior and 3 years in the minors. if players start heading to college more, you still can control guys for 6 years. 3 in college and 3 in the minors. overseas players are not affected of course.

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

someone said it earlier, with our amount of "maturing" kids about ready to make a move to the NHL, it may be fine to start dealing a couple of picks.  I would trade our 1st for sure this season, unless somehow it's a lottery pick...

I think someone said trade out 1st this year for a first next year and then we'd have two 1st rounders in 2015. Sounds good to me...

Hey Rich, earlier you posted a lines thread to look for in 5 years... Z and Franzen still have 7 and 6 years remaining on their contracts respectively...I think Z plays out his contract for sure. Unless Franzen's head gets worse, I think he does too..

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#23 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Tuch played well against Michigan when I watched him play, but he didn't scream top 15. It is a down year, and I love his size so if we end up around 20 we could do a lot worse than Alex. Still hope we could manage Ehlers but we are loaded on small fast skill guys.

#24 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

dont care what round just get Nikita Trymakin the kid is a beast.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#25 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Now, I did this mock draft and scouting reports based on the thought that we would end up in the 15th range of the draft. What happens if we miss the PO's and then by luck get the number 1 pick? Do you keep it or trade it? This draft is considered to be a weak draft. mainly because it lacks superstars on the top end and depth like last years draft. if I was in charge and we had the number 1 I would think long and hard about trading the pick. Now what would I be looking for? well I want a RHed shooting forward that can score and bang. In a perfect world: Ryan. he is only 27 and has proven that he can score 33-36 goals per year in the NHL with 125 hits per season. He is what this team needs for the top 2 lines. Ottawa is also cash strapped and can't afford to resign him either. perfect trade for both teams. But he is not the only guy, just and example. Another guy I would take a long hard look at and another team with money issues, would be Hanzel with the Yotes. he would be the perfect #2 C between Jurco and tatar. Not a fighter-few euros are, but he is 6-6/240 a great 2 way guy that scores 20-25 G's and hits a ton. Also in the 26/27 year old range. You get the idea of what I am talking about if we have the #1 pick and choose to trade it.

#26 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Keep it and take Ekblad if it's #1.. In the 15 range trade up and get Fleury

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 21 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#27 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Keep it and take Ekblad if it's #1.. In the 15 range trade up and get Fleury

Fleury actually looks really good. We have too many d as it is tho...
Posted Image

#28 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Can never have enough good young defensemen and if you do it's like being overloaded with good starting pitching..you trade

#29 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

It's to bad we didn't wait a year to have this awful year ... Could of ended up with Connor mcdavid

#30 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

dont care what round just get Nikita Trymakin the kid is a beast.

any videos on him?

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

With Howard going down, Monster with injuries issues, we may see a combo of Mrazek and Coreau sooner that we think.  Not saying it will affect us too much (since we aren't playing good anyhow) but it could drop us further out of the playoff giving us a higher draft pick, possibly a top 5.  That pick could and probably would get us an impact player in return if traded in a package.

Nyquist, Almqvist, Kindl and a Top 5 1st rounder would garner a pretty nice return!  With the amount of talent in the pipeline, unless there is a slam dunk kid in the top 5-10, it probably makes more sense to trade the pick...

www.thinkdunes.com

#32 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Mrazek and McCollum maybe..Coreau can't crack the Griffins lineup

#33 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

With Howard going down, Monster with injuries issues, we may see a combo of Mrazek and Coreau sooner that we think.  Not saying it will affect us too much (since we aren't playing good anyhow) but it could drop us further out of the playoff giving us a higher draft pick, possibly a top 5.  That pick could and probably would get us an impact player in return if traded in a package.

Nyquist, Almqvist, Kindl and a Top 5 1st rounder would garner a pretty nice return!  With the amount of talent in the pipeline, unless there is a slam dunk kid in the top 5-10, it probably makes more sense to trade the pick...

When's the last time we had a top 5 pick?? No way would/should we get rid of that pick if we got it

McCollum all of a sudden seems like a prospect again I'd call him up to play a few games see how he does and send back down mrazek since he's doing absolutely nothing in detroit and he needs to play

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

we don't need a top 5 pick. the return in trade would pay instant dividends.  IMO.

www.thinkdunes.com

#35 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

If this draft is as weak as advertised then no one is gonna trade a good player for a top pick...2015 most definitely

#36 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

2014 is a weak draft, but that doesn't mean there isn't talent. Last year there was 7 or 8 can't miss types, then 60-70 guys that all had a question about them but should be top 5 players on most teams in 5-7 years. This years draft has 3/4 can't miss types and about 35 guys that should be top 5 players on most teams. The depth just isn't here this year. Now 2015 looks like it will be better. That draft looks like it is very top heavy but we will see next year......

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

I've read everywhere that there seems to be a huge dropoff after Ekblad and Reinhart, which is only an opportunity for teams with good scouting to find some rough gems.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#38 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

I've read everywhere that there seems to be a huge dropoff after Ekblad and Reinhart, which is only an opportunity for teams with good scouting to find some rough gems.

Draisaitl looks excellent as well if we would use this pick. I'd prefer trading a top 5 pick for a later pick and multiple picks from next years draft.

Just like last year we will sneak in the playoffs and pick around 15-20. Virtanen would be my top choice around that range. He reminds me of Corey Perry. Next year would be the year to make a youth movement, not take anybody in FA, and see where the chips fall. If it falls into 2015's top 5 pick I could somewhat cope with a bad year.

Edited by MasterPavel, 22 January 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#39 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Man, the kids in this draft are 96s?! That means I should have been drafted 7 years ago dammit! Where did the time go...

#40 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Just FYI for everyone.  Bob McKenzie's draft special/preview is on TSN tonight at 7:30.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”