• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsallTheway

Oilers trade Dubnyk to Preds; Receive Scrivens from LAK

Rate this topic

First "Big trade" from the oil... don't really see too much of an improvement here

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441275

The Edmonton Oilers retooled their goaltending on Wednesday, tradingDevan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators in exchange for forwardMatt Hendricks and acquiring goaltender Ben Scrivens from the Los Angeles Kings for a 2014 third-round pick.

Edited by WingsallTheway

This is a good start for the Oil. Now they need to trade some of their under achieving forwards for solid D players. Something like Eberle for Bogosian, or Yakupov for Seabrook.

This trade just plain makes sense for all three teams involved.

Nashville gets goalie upgrade while ridding themselves of a bloated bottom 6 contract. They have enough bottom 6 guys.

Los Angeles gets a pick while replacing the Scrivens with Jones. (an upgrade)

Edmonton gets a gritty bottom 6 guy(one of their needs) and a possible goalie upgrade for just a 3rd round pick and a UFA they weren't going to resign.

Low risk high reward.

I really dont see how this makes the Oilers better. So they waste a draft pick, well they suck at drafting and developing so who knows, for another backup caliber goalie?

There is a big difference between playing for LA and playing for Edmonton. This goalie isnt the answer unless they plan on getting a D core as good as LA. Also their forwards need to start playing D as well.

This is a good start for the Oil. Now they need to trade some of their under achieving forwards for solid D players. Something like Eberle for Bogosian, or Yakupov for Seabrook.

Would you make either of these trades?

I've gotta think there's something to their whole we-need-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing and our whole we-have-too-many-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing. Also, their whole we-need-defensemen thing and our whole we-may-be-facing-a-logjam-on-the-blueline thing.

I've gotta think there's something to their whole we-need-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing and our whole we-have-too-many-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing. Also, their whole we-need-defensemen thing and our whole we-may-be-facing-a-logjam-on-the-blueline thing.

and their whole "we have a bunch of high-skilled goal scoring forwards" thing.

Man, Yakupov would look sweet on this team!

and their whole "we have a bunch of high-skilled goal scoring forwards" thing.

Man, Yakupov would look sweet on this team!

From what I hear from fans in Edmonton is that Yakupov has amazing skill, but he plays the individual game, not the team game. On this team he'd probably get 4th line minutes from Babs. Unless he gets a lot of personal coaching, he's probably the kind of guy who ends up back in Russia, sooner or later.

From what I hear from fans in Edmonton is that Yakupov has amazing skill, but he plays the individual game, not the team game. On this team he'd probably get 4th line minutes from Babs. Unless he gets a lot of personal coaching, he's probably the kind of guy who ends up back in Russia, sooner or later.

MacTavish seems to be having a hard time to fix the real problem = defense and their run and gun "swarm"Eakins style. I feel for Scrivens going from LAK to the Oilers is tough and will for sure take him some time, to figure out how to play behind this defense.

MacTavish seems to be having a hard time to fix the real problem = defense and their run and gun "swarm"Eakins style. I feel for Scrivens going from LAK to the Oilers is tough and will for sure take him some time, to figure out how to play behind this defense.

EDM is dumb. Do they really think Scrivens is better than Dubnyk? They just basically swapped Dubnyk for Dubnyk, and a 3rd rounder for Hendricks. LA won that trade thus far.

EDM is dumb. Do they really think Scrivens is better than Dubnyk? They just basically swapped Dubnyk for Dubnyk, and a 3rd rounder for Hendricks. LA won that trade thus far.

I don't get it either I mean yeah Scrivens has potential, but there is a reason why he was only considered to be #3 on a stacked LA team. If they don't fix their defense not even the King could backstop this defense.

I'll bet a lot MacT already had an offer on the table for Phaneuf and now they've to look elsewhere. Trade one of the big 4 or this years draft pick for immediate top pairing help otherwise they're going to rebuild forever.

I don't get it either I mean yeah Scrivens has potential, but there is a reason why he was only considered to be #3 on a stacked LA team. If they don't fix their defense not even the King could backstop this defense.

I'll bet a lot MacT already had an offer on the table for Phaneuf and now they've to look elsewhere. Trade one of the big 4 or this years draft pick for immediate top pairing help otherwise they're going to rebuild forever.

The Kings acquired Scrivens in the Bernier trade with Toronto, so he wasn't really #3. He was the backup behind Quick, then played great when Quick was out injured. Jones became the backup and was great in that role, so the Kings realized they could get by without Scrivens once Quick was healthy.

Even if Dubnyk and Scrivens are an even swap the Oilers get Hendricks who by the sounds of it is a very good, if overpaid PK guy and will bring some much needed veteran presence to the Oilers. And now you get a clean slate with your starting goaltender.

I agree though that until they get their defense sorted, it's hard to imagine the Oilers winning consistently.

The Kings acquired Scrivens in the Bernier trade with Toronto, so he wasn't really #3. He was the backup behind Quick, then played great when Quick was out injured. Jones became the backup and was great in that role, so the Kings realized they could get by without Scrivens once Quick was healthy.

Even if Dubnyk and Scrivens are an even swap the Oilers get Hendricks who by the sounds of it is a very good, if overpaid PK guy and will bring some much needed veteran presence to the Oilers. And now you get a clean slate with your starting goaltender.

I agree though that until they get their defense sorted, it's hard to imagine the Oilers winning consistently.

The Kings play great D. I think most goalies are going to do better than their usual in that system. When it comes to Scrivens he wasn't very good in Toronto, and despite being better in LA he lost his spot to a rookie. Edm seems to be clueless. Signing Bryzgalov. Goalie swaps. DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.

At the end of the day the trade was basically Hendricks for a third. Will that change anything for them? No. Until they address the real issues they're going to have a system that no one can succeed in.

The Kings play great D. I think most goalies are going to do better than their usual in that system. When it comes to Scrivens he wasn't very good in Toronto, and despite being better in LA he lost his spot to a rookie. Edm seems to be clueless. Signing Bryzgalov. Goalie swaps. DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.

At the end of the day the trade was basically Hendricks for a third. Will that change anything for them? No. Until they address the real issues they're going to have a system that no one can succeed in.

Ultimately Scrivens lost his spot to Quick when he came back, then became a tradeable asset when Jones played so well. We'll definitely see what Scrivens is made of behind the Oilers defense.

Like you said it was basically Hendricks for a 3rd. It should help a little, but I agree it's hardly dealing with the major problems.

If Scrivens has many more games like last night v. San Jose, they'll either erecting a statue in his honour in front of the new arena or he'll be retiring at age thirty.

Amazing performance. He broke the record for saves in a regular season, regulation shutout. I can't believe nobody is talking about it in here. Not the Wings, who gives a frack?