• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

First "Big trade" from the oil... don't really see too much of an improvement here

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441275

The Edmonton Oilers retooled their goaltending on Wednesday, tradingDevan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators in exchange for forwardMatt Hendricks and acquiring goaltender Ben Scrivens from the Los Angeles Kings for a 2014 third-round pick.

Edited by WingsallTheway, 15 January 2014 - 04:05 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#2 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,011 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I guess it's a start.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#3 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I am not so sure their issue is the players on the team as much as who put them on the team!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

He'll have his work cut out for him in Edmonton but Scrivens was great during his short time with the Kings. 

The Kings have this kid Martin Jones who was also great when called upon while Quick was out, which is why they could deal Scrivens. 

#5 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

This is a good start for the Oil. Now they need to trade some of their under achieving forwards for solid D players. Something like Eberle for Bogosian, or Yakupov for Seabrook.

#6 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

With Quick back, I would've guessed a goalie move might happen. Dubnyk just flat out sucked in Edmonton. Maybe a change of scenery helps.

#7 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

This trade just plain makes sense for all three teams involved.

Nashville gets goalie upgrade while ridding themselves of a bloated bottom 6 contract. They have enough bottom 6 guys.

Los Angeles gets a pick while replacing the Scrivens with Jones. (an upgrade)

Edmonton gets a gritty bottom 6 guy(one of their needs) and a possible goalie upgrade for just a 3rd round pick and a UFA they weren't going to resign.

Low risk high reward.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#8 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

The Oilers are the Detroit Lions of the NHL....so much mis-used raw young great talent...trade us Yakupov and Smyth.  Datsyuk will straighten up Nail and Smyth can make our PP good again...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

This is the same "Scrivens" who was supposed to be the "next-big-thing" in goaltending in Toronto? Slip slidin' away...

At least the head coach knows him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#10 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I really dont see how this makes the Oilers better. So they waste a draft pick, well they suck at drafting and developing so who knows, for another backup caliber goalie?

There is a big difference between playing for LA and playing for Edmonton. This goalie isnt the answer unless they plan on getting a D core as good as LA. Also their forwards need to start playing D as well.

#11 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

they do need veteran stability, better team D so Hendricks could be good for them and improve the PK. 

#12 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Scrivens > Dubnyk. They'll need a lot more to become a team anyone is concerned about but, a step in the right direction..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

This is a good start for the Oil. Now they need to trade some of their under achieving forwards for solid D players. Something like Eberle for Bogosian, or Yakupov for Seabrook.

Would you make either of these trades?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Would you make either of these trades?

No

#15 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,011 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

I've gotta think there's something to their whole we-need-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing and our whole we-have-too-many-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing. Also, their whole we-need-defensemen thing and our whole we-may-be-facing-a-logjam-on-the-blueline thing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#16 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

I've gotta think there's something to their whole we-need-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing and our whole we-have-too-many-scruffy-bottom-sixers thing. Also, their whole we-need-defensemen thing and our whole we-may-be-facing-a-logjam-on-the-blueline thing.

and their whole "we have a bunch of high-skilled goal scoring forwards" thing.

Man, Yakupov would look sweet on this team!

#17 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:30 AM

and their whole "we have a bunch of high-skilled goal scoring forwards" thing.

Man, Yakupov would look sweet on this team!

From what I hear from fans in Edmonton is that Yakupov has amazing skill, but he plays the individual game, not the team game. On this team he'd probably get 4th line minutes from Babs. Unless he gets a lot of personal coaching, he's probably the kind of guy who ends up back in Russia, sooner or later.

#18 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

From what I hear from fans in Edmonton is that Yakupov has amazing skill, but he plays the individual game, not the team game. On this team he'd probably get 4th line minutes from Babs. Unless he gets a lot of personal coaching, he's probably the kind of guy who ends up back in Russia, sooner or later.

MacTavish seems to be having a hard time to fix the real problem = defense and their run and gun "swarm"Eakins style. I feel for Scrivens going from LAK to the Oilers is tough and will for sure take him some time, to figure out how to play behind this defense.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#19 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

MacTavish seems to be having a hard time to fix the real problem = defense and their run and gun "swarm"Eakins style. I feel for Scrivens going from LAK to the Oilers is tough and will for sure take him some time, to figure out how to play behind this defense.

EDM is dumb. Do they really think Scrivens is better than Dubnyk? They just basically swapped Dubnyk for Dubnyk, and a 3rd rounder for Hendricks. LA won that trade thus far.

#20 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

EDM is dumb. Do they really think Scrivens is better than Dubnyk? They just basically swapped Dubnyk for Dubnyk, and a 3rd rounder for Hendricks. LA won that trade thus far.

I don't get it either I mean yeah Scrivens has potential, but there is a reason why he was only considered to be #3 on a stacked LA team. If they don't fix their defense not even the King could backstop this defense.

I'll bet a lot MacT already had an offer on the table for Phaneuf and now they've to look elsewhere. Trade one of the big 4 or this years draft pick for immediate top pairing help otherwise they're going to rebuild forever.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..