• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

I don't get it either I mean yeah Scrivens has potential, but there is a reason why he was only considered to be #3 on a stacked LA team. If they don't fix their defense not even the King could backstop this defense.

I'll bet a lot MacT already had an offer on the table for Phaneuf and now they've to look elsewhere. Trade one of the big 4 or this years draft pick for immediate top pairing help otherwise they're going to rebuild forever.

The Kings acquired Scrivens in the Bernier trade with Toronto, so he wasn't really #3.  He was the backup behind Quick, then played great when Quick was out injured.  Jones became the backup and was great in that role, so the Kings realized they could get by without Scrivens once Quick was healthy.

Even if Dubnyk and Scrivens are an even swap the Oilers get Hendricks who by the sounds of it is a very good, if overpaid PK guy and will bring some much needed veteran presence to the Oilers.  And now you get a clean slate with your starting goaltender.

I agree though that until they get their defense sorted, it's hard to imagine the Oilers winning consistently.

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

The Kings acquired Scrivens in the Bernier trade with Toronto, so he wasn't really #3.  He was the backup behind Quick, then played great when Quick was out injured.  Jones became the backup and was great in that role, so the Kings realized they could get by without Scrivens once Quick was healthy.

Even if Dubnyk and Scrivens are an even swap the Oilers get Hendricks who by the sounds of it is a very good, if overpaid PK guy and will bring some much needed veteran presence to the Oilers.  And now you get a clean slate with your starting goaltender.

I agree though that until they get their defense sorted, it's hard to imagine the Oilers winning consistently.

The Kings play great D. I think most goalies are going to do better than their usual in that system. When it comes to Scrivens he wasn't very good in Toronto, and despite being better in LA he lost his spot to a rookie. Edm seems to be clueless. Signing Bryzgalov. Goalie swaps. DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.

At the end of the day the trade was basically Hendricks for a third. Will that change anything for them? No. Until they address the real issues they're going to have a system that no one can succeed in.

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

The Kings play great D. I think most goalies are going to do better than their usual in that system. When it comes to Scrivens he wasn't very good in Toronto, and despite being better in LA he lost his spot to a rookie. Edm seems to be clueless. Signing Bryzgalov. Goalie swaps. DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.

At the end of the day the trade was basically Hendricks for a third. Will that change anything for them? No. Until they address the real issues they're going to have a system that no one can succeed in.

Ultimately Scrivens lost his spot to Quick when he came back, then became a tradeable asset when Jones played so well.  We'll definitely see what Scrivens is made of behind the Oilers defense. 

Like you said it was basically Hendricks for a 3rd.  It should help a little, but I agree it's hardly dealing with the major problems.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

If Scrivens has many more games like last night v. San Jose, they'll either erecting a statue in his honour in front of the new arena or he'll be retiring at age thirty.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

If Scrivens has many more games like last night v. San Jose, they'll either erecting a statue in his honour in front of the new arena or he'll be retiring at age thirty.

Amazing performance. He broke the record for saves in a regular season, regulation shutout.  I can't believe nobody is talking about it in here. Not the Wings, who gives a frack?

#26 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Scrivens > Dubnyk.

haha still standing by this. but yes, amazing performance against a very good sharks team.

hopefully for the oilers sake he can keep playing well

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."