• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Would Samuelsson ever consider retiring mid-season?

Rate this topic

Don't give a s*** about the cap savings..him being gone is what matters most

100k in cap space doesn't open up enough to call anyone up. Waiving him does absolutely nothing except cause a roster problem now, and after the roster limit is lifted it's irrelevant.

Samuelsson will be on the roster, and never see the ice in the playoffs.

The Wings playoff run will be short if Sammy is dressed during the playoffs. That means a bunch of forwards are injured because he can't even break the lineup with six of them out right now.

Hence the part about never seeing the ice. On the roster doesn't mean dressed. He'll be on the roster sitting outside in the guard shack for the player parking lot in street clothes.

You have no proof to support your claims, though. Show me proof that Samuelsson was faking an injury to avoid being bought out. Sure, fans don't seem to like him much because he hasn't been producing. Yes, Babcock has sat him quite a bit - 'never plays him' is obviously false. Never complimented by Holland or Babcock in interviews......

“I thought (Mikael) Samuelsson was good, had lots of opportunities to score last game so I’m leaving him back in,” Babcock said. - November 14, 2013

... again, obviously false.

Show me proof that Samuelsson would have been bought out if it had not been for the injury situation. If it's so clear, surely you can find me a quote from Holland or someone saying 'Yeah, we would have approached him about a buyout, but he said he was injured, so that didn't work out.' I haven't seen anything like that as of yet. All I've seen is posts from people like you full of speculation and opinion and devoid of pertinent factual information.

As far as pissed, I'm not going to 'read between the lines.' I can't do it any more than you can. We don't know Bobcock and Holland well enough to tell what they are thinking by their tone. Mikael Samuelsson did not screw anyone's plans. He signed a contract that he was offered. No one had a gun to Ken Holland's head and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. They offered him the contract and he took it.... same way as he did with Vancouver when Detroit wouldn't pay him what he wanted the last time.

It isn't Samuelsson's fault that Holland put himself in his current position. The contract is on Holland. The NTC in the contract is on Holland. The fact that a buyout was even potentially necessary (not that we can prove that one would have happened anyway) is on Holland. Mikael Samuelsson didn't sign 20 forwards to the team this season.

If you must be pissed off, I think your anger is misdirected. There's more reason to be pissed at Holland than Samuelsson. And, if everyone is so annoyed about the Samuelsson contract, I don't understand why there aren't like 10 threads full of posts with people fuming about the Weiss contract. Detroit is done with Samuelsson after this season. Weiss is getting paid $2 million more per season. Has basically the same amount of points in the same amount of games played this season - WITH over 4 more minutes of ice time per game. AND..... there are FOUR more years left on his contract. Not to mention that the guy he replaced is absolutely lighting it up in Tampa.

Not a Sammy fan and I don't doubt the whispers about them wanting to buy Sammy out if not for the injury, but this whole mess stems from countless bonehead moves by Holland. This guy's current standing as a top GM is running on fumes.

Maybe he's got the skills, maybe he's got the know how, but he hasn't shown it in the cap era. He's overseen the ongoing decline despite being able to carry over a great core at a cap hit that should allow him to make better decisions than he's made.

And oh, too many of those decisions he does make hurt just hurt, if you're not just already numb to it all. I barely felt Sammy. When I heard it, a largely sarcastic "OF COURSE" came to mind. And then I became a tired character in an long burnt out sitcom reduced to playing a cartoon crying himself to sleep.

There is nothing that can be done about the contract now. Do I blame Sam ? No, if somebody offers me such a contract I'll sure take it, the whole fiasco just like the Colaiacovo, Weiss thing is solely on Holland. After looking at it, even if Sam does retire the caphit still counts thanks to the stupid CBA.

So the best thing we can hope for, is he does play well when he is in the lineup everything elese is out of the teams control as sad as it is.

as for Holland being ill-prepared...well that's true and given the almost blank cheque from the best owner in all sports the roster should be better, bu t it is what it is. Hopefully, next season will be "clean house" time, don't re-sign any of the vets (including Alfie there is enough leadership on this team and he wont win a cup here) and give the young guns more opportunities.

Colaiacovo was signed to play a support role, not a main role, where Kindl was there when he was inevitably going to be hurt. He missed more time last year than he ever had before, and Holland knew he was probably going to have a buyout available if the cap dropped and Cola wasn't needed anymore.

Weiss doesn't have a history of groin injuries, I'm not sure how you think Holland was supposed to have predicted that, unless you're saying that Holland is the one who hurt Weiss in the first place.

Samuelsson will be on the roster, and never see the ice in the playoffs.

With roster limits going by the wayside after the trade deadline & the salary cap limit doing the same during the playoffs, Sammy might still technically be on the big club's roster but I have a feeling there are plenty of youngsters that have seen time in the NHL this season or are still in GR that would be given a shot over Sammy.

Weiss has played 80 games in a season twice so he has a history of injuries regardless of what kind they are

By that logic, so does Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and a lot of other NHL players. Hockey is a rough sport, missing a few games is expected. 75-ish games is a better mark to look at, and by that he's been pretty durable throughout his career.