• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Would Samuelsson ever consider retiring mid-season?

Rate this topic

totally agree with you playmaker I have also stated that the kids with the exception of tatar this year have not done what everyone kept saying they could I am not a cleary bert or sammy lover at all cant stand Sammy or cleary but they do have a lot of commitment in the team might not find a way to show it on the scoresheet but nevertheless some of the kids are not nhl capable I see tatar, jurco and sheahan as potential but goose and andy to me could be packaged and Id be ok with it if we could use those to get someone who IS capable of bringing alittle more muscle to the second or 1st line and score some goals. hell as much as a lot of ppl would hate me for saying helm would be on my list as well while his still valueble and the window is getting smaller every time he goes down to another GROIN injury

Edited by sjr2012

But boy, Sammy sure has worn out his welcome. At least fans still like Cleary as a person. Sammy just went and pissed everyone off in and outside the organization.

What has Samuelsson done that you are qualifying as 'pissing off everyone in and outside the organization'?

Please use factual information only to backup your statement.

What has Samuelsson done that you are qualifying as 'pissing off everyone in and outside the organization'?

I would assume he means claiming injury during the offseason so the Wings couldn't buy him out. But I don't have all the details on that situation. Seems a silly rule anyway to not be able to buy someone out because they're injured.

There's no way Sammy ends up retiring mid-season, and even if he did it provides no cap relief for the team given he's on a 35+ contract. I'm still holding out hope that Kenny somehow manages to find a team willing to take him in a trade & that Sammy would be willing to go in order to play, but I'm not holding my breath.

And with the Cleary mentions, I'm calling it... He will be re-signed next season to a 2 or 3 year deal & he will get a raise with the cap going up. Granted I don't want it to happen, I just think it will.

No. He will not retire. He can't retire and save the team money. He is over 35. His cap hit and salary are carved in stone.

He's here for the nights where we have someone who can't go at the last minute. The rest of the time he sits in the press box.

He's not going to retire. We're not going to find a trade for him. We can't buy him out until the end of the season, and that would be pointless since his contract expires then anyway.

The kids are getting plenty of chances to play with all of the injuries. The only one that he's hurting is Tootoo, who would be up full-time if we could afford him.

Once the roster limit is lifted, we will never see him again. Until then, he's like those extra jeans you keep in a drawer just in case you need to paint or something and you don't want to ruin your real clothes. Yes, they take up space, but they aren't really hurting anything.

I would assume he means claiming injury during the offseason so the Wings couldn't buy him out. But I don't have all the details on that situation. Seems a silly rule anyway to not be able to buy someone out because they're injured.

Right. And what I am looking for would be.....

1) Proof that Samuelsson lied about the injury

2) Proof that he would have been bought out if he had been healthy (or had not lied about being healthy, if that was the case)

3) Proof that anyone inside the organization is pissed off about the situation

I seem to be the only one who thinks this but I think Bertuzzi has been really bad...

He makes bonehead passes and takes bad penalties, and of course hes terribly slow. Doesn't do anything on defence and when he does he tends to take that penalty.

On a positive note hes basically all we have when it comes to a net front presence, and hes decent when playing with Z and D together as he seems to be more confident

You aren't alone -- I completely agree with you about Bertuzzi. He consistently has quality linemates and PP time, yet contributes hardly anything offensively.

Everyone focuses on Sammy and Cleary (rightfully so), but Bertuzzi has only been marginally better than those two. I would prefer all three to be healthy scratches when/if the Wings start getting bodies back. Sheahan, Jurco and Glendening all bring much more to the team already than those three.

Needless to say, I will be very upset if any of these guys are back next season.

From a fans point of view this must be great:

- luxury press box seat every game

- training with NHL caliber players, coaching stuff

- staying at the best hotels

- getting paid millions

heck if someone, would offer me something like that I would gladly take it *g*

To be honest I'm far more envious of the players that actually play in the league. But that's me.

I'm referring to his faking an injury to avoid being bought out. Fans clearly don't like him because of this, Babcock never plays him and he is never complimented by Holland or Babcock in interviews. Hence my comment about him wearing out his welcome with everyone.

It was clear Sammy was a buyout target. To fans and pundits. He wasn't injured in his last game I don't think, yet he suddenly had a flareup of his pectoral injury the day before the buyout deadline.

As for being pissed, you have to read between the lines. When you see and hear and read lots of interviews of Babcock and Holland, you pick up on their speech patterns. He screwed their plans and neither of them have been as complimentary to him as they have been about, say, Cleary. It's also hard to see them being happy about having to keep him when it was his contract that prevented us from icing the team Holland and Babcock wanted. Well, that and Cleary, but again, neither has spares praise for Cleary.

Guest Playmaker

I don't think it was really all that clear. It seems like there were plenty of worthy candidates for a buyout. Bertuzzi and Tootoo for starters. There was a a great deal of talk regarding Samuelsson, but nothing was ever confirmed on him being a buyout candidate or with him faking an injury. I thought the one buyout was totally wasted on Colaiocovo. While he wasn't a star defenseman, his salary wasn't all that much of an anchor, and I think it would hurt us to have an experience dman for when injuries occur.

I'm sure Samuelsson has pride and that he'd rather be playing and isn't happy sitting out or playing few minutes when he does dress.

It's not like Samuelsson hasn't been given ample opportunity to do anything worthwhile. The Red Wings have six forwards out injured and he still finds himself as a healthy scratch tonight.

It's not like Samuelsson hasn't been given ample opportunity to do anything worthwhile. The Red Wings have six forwards out injured and he still finds himself as a healthy scratch tonight.

Sammy averages over 2 minutes per game on the powerplay. That's more than Tatar.

He's had his opportunities.

It's to protect the players, and it's no different than your boss not being able to fire you if you get hurt at work unless you're unable to return within 6 months. He was hurt to end the season, and he'd never received medical clearance to resume hockey activities until after the buyout period was over.

if Samuelsson retires it does nothing but open up a roster space without clearing any cap room to fill it. Like it or not they're stuck with him unless he gets hurt and goes on LTIR for the rest of the year.

I'm referring to his faking an injury to avoid being bought out. Fans clearly don't like him because of this, Babcock never plays him and he is never complimented by Holland or Babcock in interviews. Hence my comment about him wearing out his welcome with everyone.

It was clear Sammy was a buyout target. To fans and pundits. He wasn't injured in his last game I don't think, yet he suddenly had a flareup of his pectoral injury the day before the buyout deadline.

As for being pissed, you have to read between the lines. When you see and hear and read lots of interviews of Babcock and Holland, you pick up on their speech patterns. He screwed their plans and neither of them have been as complimentary to him as they have been about, say, Cleary. It's also hard to see them being happy about having to keep him when it was his contract that prevented us from icing the team Holland and Babcock wanted. Well, that and Cleary, but again, neither has spares praise for Cleary.

You have no proof to support your claims, though. Show me proof that Samuelsson was faking an injury to avoid being bought out. Sure, fans don't seem to like him much because he hasn't been producing. Yes, Babcock has sat him quite a bit - 'never plays him' is obviously false. Never complimented by Holland or Babcock in interviews......

“I thought (Mikael) Samuelsson was good, had lots of opportunities to score last game so I’m leaving him back in,” Babcock said. - November 14, 2013

... again, obviously false.

Show me proof that Samuelsson would have been bought out if it had not been for the injury situation. If it's so clear, surely you can find me a quote from Holland or someone saying 'Yeah, we would have approached him about a buyout, but he said he was injured, so that didn't work out.' I haven't seen anything like that as of yet. All I've seen is posts from people like you full of speculation and opinion and devoid of pertinent factual information.

As far as pissed, I'm not going to 'read between the lines.' I can't do it any more than you can. We don't know Bobcock and Holland well enough to tell what they are thinking by their tone. Mikael Samuelsson did not screw anyone's plans. He signed a contract that he was offered. No one had a gun to Ken Holland's head and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. They offered him the contract and he took it.... same way as he did with Vancouver when Detroit wouldn't pay him what he wanted the last time.

It isn't Samuelsson's fault that Holland put himself in his current position. The contract is on Holland. The NTC in the contract is on Holland. The fact that a buyout was even potentially necessary (not that we can prove that one would have happened anyway) is on Holland. Mikael Samuelsson didn't sign 20 forwards to the team this season.

If you must be pissed off, I think your anger is misdirected. There's more reason to be pissed at Holland than Samuelsson. And, if everyone is so annoyed about the Samuelsson contract, I don't understand why there aren't like 10 threads full of posts with people fuming about the Weiss contract. Detroit is done with Samuelsson after this season. Weiss is getting paid $2 million more per season. Has basically the same amount of points in the same amount of games played this season - WITH over 4 more minutes of ice time per game. AND..... there are FOUR more years left on his contract. Not to mention that the guy he replaced is absolutely lighting it up in Tampa.

There was no reason for them not to have bought him out if they could have. He wasn't faking though, or at least he hadn't been cleared by a doctor even if he was healthy at the time. Kahn is generally pretty spot on about things, and he said they wanted to but couldn't without a good possibility of a challenge by Samuelsson's camp.

Guest Playmaker

There was no reason for them not to have bought him out if they could have. He wasn't faking though, or at least he hadn't been cleared by a doctor even if he was healthy at the time. Kahn is generally pretty spot on about things, and he said they wanted to but couldn't without a good possibility of a challenge by Samuelsson's camp.

There was also no reason for them not to buy out Tootoo, knowing Babcock wasn't going to play him. But they decided to keep paying him and bury him in the minors. I think that's actually more puzzling than not buying out Sammy.

Would Sammy ask for a trade? I mean he's not stupid and he surely knows that he isn't going to see the ice much from here on in. Yesterday was a fine example, Tartar comes back but they don't send Emmerton of Jurco back to GR, they sit Sammy. Is he content to sit out the remainder of his contract, I doubt many teams would want to take it on thou so I guess he's here in the press box till end of the season.

Would Sammy ask for a trade? I mean he's not stupid and he surely knows that he isn't going to see the ice much from here on in. Yesterday was a fine example, Tartar comes back but they don't send Emmerton of Jurco back to GR, they sit Sammy. Is he content to sit out the remainder of his contract, I doubt many teams would want to take it on thou so I guess he's here in the press box till end of the season.

Would you trade for Samuelsson?