• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I can speak from personal experience as I own and operate a personal training/sports performance biz here in Florida.

Training has become so specialized that most players have their own trainers in off season and the training they do may contrast deeply from the Wings protocol.

So basically you train all off season a certain way with your trainer then, as soon as camp starts you train a different way. You can see how this may create some problems.

Trainers can be obsessive dictators(my way is best) about their philosophies and have a hard time leaving their ego at the door. Unfortunately its all about them and not their client. You can see how this would not be a good for an athlete as well.

Lots of athletes unknowingly trust people they shouldnt and trainers can be those people.

Example:
I caught some video of Z training off season one summer and in all honesty I didnt like what I saw and cpuldnt beleive his trainers had him doing it.
If any of you saw it, you probably freaked out too.

Its no suprise that there was a video of it too. Trainers showing off their prized stud for more biz...look at me and who I train!

Now, Im not training NHL players BUT we work with lots of D1 athletes and aspiring college athletes and The rule is simple...Risk to Reward...and I see far too much risk being taken with athletes training on all levels that are not worth the reward.

Im sure all of you have pulled up youtube training vids of pro athletes and they might as well have been training to be in cirque du soleil.

If memory serves, Helm f***ed his back up doing a squat! A SQUAT!!!! Was it a freak thing? An unlucky break? Was hef****** around? Was there a trainer there pushing too hard? Was there a traine? Was helm supposed to be squatting? Lots of questions for sure, if he did indeed mess his back up squatting.

Only thing worse than s***ty unsafe training is OVER training which most people had no idea exhisted.

Its truly amazing that pro athletes can perform the way they do day after day without suffucient recovery time. Add in a soft tissue injury and its a borderline miracle they come back as fast as they do.

This is speculative but if the Wings currently are not, I think they need all need to all be on same page year round with their players.

Lot of $$$ invested to be letting dudes choose their own workouts and end up crossfitting with a junior high cross country team trying to out Pr each other.

Lots of bad luck for sure but, I expect some changes will Be made this summer.

#22 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Interesting perspective for sure about the summer training.

Now this is purely speculative because I'm not looking closely at the schedules, but certainly last year with the lockout and this year with the Olympics, there's lots of talk about a "condensed schedule" and if that is true, it would be logical that players miss more games than normal despite the "normal" length of injury. So the lack of recovery time during the season might be why some of these injuries persist. 

I think, too, that the Wings systems demand a lot of their players in terms of skating and, ideally, grinding. As the team's overall skill level decreases (undeniably), so too do they need to grind more and, being a team of mostly smaller players upfront, it seems reasonable that this might lead to a higher level of injuries than the majority of teams. I think controlling the puck less makes it inevitable that playes will be injured more, whether that is from blocking shots, other team's forechecks, etc.  Of course this interpretation of things makes sensed based on what I see in Detroit, but the logic might not hold up if applied to other teams. And so, I am just spitballin.

Of course there will be the inevitable wearing down of bodies regardless of skill (see Alfredsson, Datsyuk) and chronic injuries that plague certain players for years (see Zetterberg and Bertuzzi's backs and Franzen's head). We hope that players are taking the right measures during the summer to ensure they are best prepared to avoid reinjury, but I guess there's only so much they can do. 

#23 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

I think one of the reasons is that our players play tougher than they actually are. 

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah