• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

1/18 GDT: Kings 2 @ Red Wings 3 (Shootout)

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

I don't understand why you think games are way too long. Have you watched baseball?

They're shorter than baseball games, but still too long. Too many tv time outs, whistles, too much dinkin around dropping the puck for faceoffs, then if you have OT and a shootout, they can go on for 3 hours or more.

I could never get behind the "It will make the game take too long" argument for ANY sport trying to better it's officiating. You either want it called correctly or you don't really care. So it takes longer, that's just more value for the ticket buyer, more air time for the sponsors and you end up with the correct call. Win-win-win.

esteef

Yes, i'll take the win, eventhough it should not have been a good goal. Detroit played pretty well in the third and even established some offensive pressure. I dont get why Sheahan and Tatar was split up, those two have been great together. Now if anything chemistry is more important than depth. Sheahan should be a regular by next season.

Sheahan should be a regular for the remainder of this season. He and Jurco would be a nasty anchor for the third line. I hope, by some miracle Holland can clear some dead wood at the trade deadline but I'm not holding my breath.

They're shorter than baseball games, but still too long. Too many tv time outs, whistles, too much dinkin around dropping the puck for faceoffs, then if you have OT and a shootout, they can go on for 3 hours or more.

I guess I disagree. I'd take all that time over a long boring baseball game.

i really hope this isn't a constant thing.

the league needs to look at this and make ALL plays reviewable.

Not all plays, just all goals. Toronto should be able to call in and say "hey! don't drop the puck, we think that's not a goal."

I get goalie interference/incidental contact since that's Referee discretion, but something like this... should be considered dead as it was out of play. Brad May's no-goal from a few years back could've been reviewed as well but the rules said not allowed.

Guest Playmaker

I could never get behind the "It will make the game take too long" argument for ANY sport trying to better it's officiating. You either want it called correctly or you don't really care. So it takes longer, that's just more value for the ticket buyer, more air time for the sponsors and you end up with the correct call. Win-win-win.

esteef

Most calls, especially penalties, aren't black and white. Even video replay doesn't guarantee 100% correct calls. I've seen many football games where I was absolutely, no doubt about it, sure of what I saw on video, and for whatever reason, the official in the booth didn't see it that way. It isn't that I don't care, but there's always personal judgement and the imperfect human element involved. Every single game is decided by a call or non call if you think about it. Could a PP goal had been scored if one penalty had been called? Would another goal not had been scored if x had happened? You could go on forever. You just can't see everything that goes on in every game and in every situation. Penalties get missed, bad calls are made, a goal that counted shouldn't have and vice versa.

I've accepted the fact that bad calls will be made, for my teams and against my teams. I know that it isn't a conspiracy or someone's personal hatred or anything like that. Just a bad call. I'm not interested in spending 5 hours in front of the television having every call reviewed for the sake of "getting it right!" because it just isn't humanly possible. I get irritated at the time when a call goes against the Wings for a few minutes, then I move on. Bigger fish to fry.

If I hadn't already changed my avatar to Tatar, I'd be using this one for sure. Background on my phone......yeah it is!

Edit: Mabus......nice work dude, as always.

:lol: Too late! IT'S MINE ALL MINE!!! HE MADE IT FOR MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!111!!11!

Guest Playmaker

I guess I disagree. I'd take all that time over a long boring baseball game.

I don't think it's a matter of picking one over the other. I'd take a hockey game all day every day over a baseball game. But that doesn't mean I don't think there are too many stoppages in play and that it would make the games better if there were more action and less whistles every other minute.

I agree with Mickey, make the nets fair play.

The problem is then players will intentionally shoot the puck into the net all the time.

The nets are there to protect the fans from flying pucks so you don't really want to give players a reason to be firing more pucks out of the rink.

Besides, just from a fan perspective I think that could make for some really ugly hockey.

And I still don't understand how O'Halloran has a job in the NHL.

The problem is then players will intentionally shoot the puck into the net all the time.

The nets are there to protect the fans from flying pucks so you don't really want to give players a reason to be firing more pucks out of the rink.

Besides, just from a fan perspective I think that could make for some really ugly hockey.

And I still don't understand how O'Halloran has a job in the NHL.

They could make it so intentional play off the net was not allowed. Deflections and oddities allowed, but you can't "shoot it into the net". Although, I really wouldn't like guys having to try to find a puck that is going to bounce off the net somewhere and land only god knows where. You would see too many fluky goals that don't really equate to hockey plays.

Edited by rrasco

I agree with Mickey, make the nets fair play.

It makes me think of Arena Football if you allow the nets to become fair play, they begin to be part of the strategy. Instead of dump and chase players can flick it up on the netting and take advantage of the random bounces. Then there is also the delay of game penalty, you can't flip it over the glass in your own defensive zone but would this allow them to rip if off of the netting and have it bounce out of the zone or would that be a penalty as well? And then the delays determining if it hit the glass or the netting. I see it being nothing but problems if the netting was not considered out of play.