• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

It's kind of fun to see because it's two teams I don't care about, but the line brawl to start off the Flames Nucks game was pretty ridiculous too. Westgarth taking the opening faceoff?

It's a hard night to take the NHL seriously.

Agreed. It almost seems like all these games tonight we're a parody skit on snl

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Best hockeygame of the season by far, coming home seeing the Wings win and then all of a sudden a good ol' hockey linebrawl, superb what a sunday start.

If****** love the way McGrattan and Westgarth gone about their business, McGrattan and Sestito even talked to each other after the fight, classy guys. The NHL clearly needs more of that and less of that new nhl stuff.

Tortarella will get suspended for sure, his post game will be classic

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#23 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

NHL needs to fine the Flames coach. That was bush league move to start the game. He might have had his reasons, but this makes the game look bad,

#24 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

I don't understand why Torts was mad. He had every opportunity to put his guys out there but put out some artillery instead.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

NHL needs to fine the Flames coach. That was bush league move to start the game. He might have had his reasons, but this makes the game look bad,

Tortarella will get suspended, Hartley didn't do anything wrong here this makes the game entertaining, back in the good ol' days stuff like this happened more often and fans are loving it. Nice to see line brawls are slowly coming back.

Tortas is getting easily pissed off, the same thing happened against the Devils.

Edited by frankgrimes, 18 January 2014 - 11:43 PM.

kftx.jpg

#26 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Agreed. It almost seems like all these games tonight we're a parody skit on snl

westgarth against bieksa for the opening draw hahah

#27 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Line brawls used to happen with Probert Kocur and guys who can actually play. Not 4th line AHLers...

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hudler is going to beat down an entire Canucks line to end the game.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#29 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

Tortarella will get suspended, Hartley didn't do anything wrong here this makes the game entertaining, back in the good ol' days stuff like this happened more often and fans are loving it. Nice to see line brawls are slowly coming back.

Tortas is getting easily pissed off, the same thing happened against the Devils.

While Hartley didn't do anything against the rules, he did not do any favors for the image of hockey. Please tell me, why were they fighting right at the starting faceoff? Nothing has happened in the game yet, to react to. Therefore this was deliberate move on Flames part to start the game with a line brawl. This wasn't an MMA meet or a WWF show. This was supposed to be a hockey game. I have nothing against fighting when it is a reaction to something that the opponents did wrong. Or even when it is done to change the momentum of the game. But staged fights like this one disgust me. 

#30 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

For a moment, I honestly thought I was watching a remake of "Slap Shot".

Posted Image

#31 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

While Hartley didn't do anything against the rules, he did not do any favors for the image of hockey. Please tell me, why were they fighting right at the starting faceoff? Nothing has happened in the game yet, to react to. Therefore this was deliberate move on Flames part to start the game with a line brawl. This wasn't an MMA meet or a WWF show. This was supposed to be a hockey game. I have nothing against fighting when it is a reaction to something that the opponents did wrong. Or even when it is done to change the momentum of the game. But staged fights like this one disgust me. 

To me, and I could be wrong, it appeared that the opening faceoff kept getting delayed, something was off and both centers were chirping at each other about it. This is how I saw it, maybe something that was said between the two in the faceoff circle sparked it and it wasn't premeditated at all. Once they got into it then the others decided to jump in. 

This is also a Canada vs Canada team matchup, there always seems to be bad blood when two Canadian teams play. Calling it "staged" though I don't feel like is the situation, this isn't pro wrestling and staged is the same as saying scripted like the coaching staff met with each other before the game and said "Hey let's have a big fight right at puck drop".

More info will come along by tomorrow about the incident i'm sure.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Words can't describe how much I hate that fake tough guy, spotpicker Bieksa.  

Gutless piece of garbage.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Both teams are struggling, 2 Canadian teams that really don't like each other so something was going to happen for sure. Also it's not like McGrattan or Westgarth would jump the Sedins so Torts didn't need to send out his fourth line. Bieksa acted like a *****, he is tough but seriously avoiding Westgarth and then going after a non fighter? Disgusting, same goes for Kassian throwing punches, when two refs are holding the guy. There is no reason to fine Hartley, because Torts had the last change He will get suspended for his locker room actions that's for sure.

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 January 2014 - 12:58 AM.

kftx.jpg

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Maybe the Flames have nothing to play for, and their fanbase wants them to goon it up.  Another reference to Slapshot, I guess.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

:yowza:

BeUG8LMCIAAJY0-.jpg

Is there a way we can photo shop this and put the Laughing Hudler's in there?

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#36 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Why? The Flames did nothing to warrant a fine or suspension.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Why? The Flames did nothing to warrant a fine or suspension.

Hartley absolutely did. He put out that starting lineup and had Westgarth, a winger, take the opening faceoff. Everyone in the hockey world knew exactly what was going on. When you put those players out and an all out brawl ensues, the coach is responsible.

If the league is fine with the outcome, so be it. But if they don't like how that game and want to be seen as a legitimate sport then they absolutely need to punish Hartley for his actions. Everyone knew what was going to happen. This wasn't simply a coach starting his 4th line.

It's fitting that it happens the same night as the Wings goal off the netting. If the NHL wants to be taken seriously they need to address what is actually happening. Everyone knew the Wings goal shouldn't have counted, yet it did because of four incompetent officials and a bad review policy. Everyone knows what was going to happen when Hartley put out that lineup.

The league has all the legitimacy of professional wrestling tonight.

#38 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

Me thinks Hartley wanted to get the Canucks off their rocker (including coach Tortorella) from the start...With Calgary having yet another crap year - why not try something different?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

What's the over/under on how many times Torts calls Hartley "gutless" in the post game presser?  Also, this is all totally stupid, serves no purpose, and makes me want to puke.  If fans want drama, there are all sorts of tv shows and movies to watch.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#40 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

*** Hartley, again his team is involved in this kinda bulls***, Torts is just defending his players