• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ash11

Injury Updates

Rate this topic

Canada is deep enough to make 2 teams that would win gold. We don't need Z or D.

Sooo....it's fine if all those players come from other NHL teams, just not the one you like?

If Jonathan Toews had played injured for Canada, then came back and missed a game for the Hawks, would you care? Or would you only care if you were a hawks fan? Or if Toews played for the wings?

Thanks. I made it myself. If you want one, shoot me a PM with the details.

Canada is deep enough to make 2 teams that would win gold. We don't need Z or D.

You completely mis-understood my point, what I meant is exactly what roboturner wrote.

A needs to get well and see if he can play at the same level, Pavs took time to play for his country and visit his family, give the guys come slack. Pavel has been nothing but professional.

I agree. Plus we don't even know that he can't play tomorrow. Most of this is conjecture; yeah he said that he's not sure but game time decisions are very common in hockey. He also said that the knee feels about the same as it did before the Olympics and he ended playing games before the break. So let's just wait and see whether he plays and how he looks on the ice.

I thought he looked awesome in the Russia vs USA game, my guess is that he'll be back playing tomorrow. But if he needs two extra days he should take them. And while I won't be thrilled about it, I would rather have him miss a few extra days than the rest of the season.

Buppy, now whop is cherry picking? have you ever read anything about Weiss's career? he is always hurt. basically every season he is hurt. Just in case you haven't followed, here are the highlights:

2002/02-His first full season. Plays 77 games-has a broken toe

2003/04-plauys 50 games-broken leg and sprained knee

2004/05-lockout

2005/06-plays 41 games-major wrist injury

2006/07-plays in 74 games-knee and shoulder injuries

2007/08-plays in 74 games-shoulder injuries again

2008/09-plays 78 games-groin injury-best season to date

2009/10-plays 80 games and is largely healthy all year

2010/11-plays 76 games-only minor injuries but numbers drop-49 points

2011/12-playus 80 games-no major injuries

2012/13-plays 17 games-major wrist injury

2013/14-played 26 games-hernia surgey, missed 32 games so far

Now I ask you, who is Weiss? is it more likely he is the guy that gets hurt in 6 of his 11 seasons or the guy that remains healthy for 5 of the 11 seasons? He is also 31 soon-in April. We signed a guy to a long term deal for good money that 1. can't stay healthy overall and 2. His best days are already behind him. That means 1 thing: Bad deal.

Only 4 of those seasons he should be considered 'not healthy'. 70+ games is pretty good for a sport as violent as hockey. He had 6 straight years of being healthy.

Buppy, now whop is cherry picking? have you ever read anything about Weiss's career? he is always hurt. basically every season he is hurt. Just in case you haven't followed, here are the highlights:

2002/02-His first full season. Plays 77 games-has a broken toe

2003/04-plauys 50 games-broken leg and sprained knee

2004/05-lockout

2005/06-plays 41 games-major wrist injury

2006/07-plays in 74 games-knee and shoulder injuries

2007/08-plays in 74 games-shoulder injuries again

2008/09-plays 78 games-groin injury-best season to date

2009/10-plays 80 games and is largely healthy all year

2010/11-plays 76 games-only minor injuries but numbers drop-49 points

2011/12-playus 80 games-no major injuries

2012/13-plays 17 games-major wrist injury

2013/14-played 26 games-hernia surgey, missed 32 games so far

Now I ask you, who is Weiss? is it more likely he is the guy that gets hurt in 6 of his 11 seasons or the guy that remains healthy for 5 of the 11 seasons? He is also 31 soon-in April. We signed a guy to a long term deal for good money that 1. can't stay healthy overall and 2. His best days are already behind him. That means 1 thing: Bad deal.

74 or more games in 7 out of 10 years prior to signing here. He also played in the AHL during the lockout. 80 games. 8 out of 11. 62 and 64 (out of 68) games his first two years in the OHL. 53 total games 01-02, not sure how many he might have missed from injury, since he was on the Florida roster for part of the year then went back to junior, but I'll still say he could have played 68. He's played 72 out of 73 playoff games his teams have played. All told that's 988 out of 1140 possible games. ~87%, 10 of 13 years being better than that, and one more year being unsure but maybe lower.

Typically, around half the league misses 8 or more games every year. In 11-12, there were around 8300 man-games lost to injury (out of 44280). Almost 19%. Average of about 13 games lost for each of the 620 regular roster players. Injuries happen, and happen to most players at some point. Minor injuries happen to most players every year.

But even if you do assume he will miss time, you should still assume he would put up decent numbers...since he has done exactly that over his career. The least we should expect is 14-15 goals, 40-ish points. Maybe not great for almost $5M, but his recent history does suggest he should be better than that, at least in the short term.

If you don't like Weiss, fine, just say that. Stop acting like there's some statistical evidence that proves he was going to suffer a major injury this season, or will in the future, or that his production would decline dramatically.

Edited by Buppy

Difference with Datsyuk's situation is that the Olympics were a short term thing. He could play through the pain for two weeks. But the NHL season is long and we are okay for the moment.

I see the logic in him resting now that he's back, and I don't blame him.

Sure, I agree.

So, do you not think Samuelsson should have been treated the same way last season? He wasn’t. Hardly anyone came to his defense when he was trashed incessantly even though he missed practically all of the season due to injuries that were similarly ‘not his fault.’

the weiss acquisition seemed good at the time of the signing though (and i think still will be considered good when all is said and done), samuelsson's did not.

Edited by amato

Marchenko out 6-8 weeks per Khan. Will need ankle surgery.

Ouch. So that's it for his season. Really unfortunate, I was hoping to see more of him. Hope the Wings give him a real chance to make the team next season. Righ-handed shot, qualities in both offense and defensive game and he has more experience than most of our GR d-men. There's also the russian connection with him and Pav, could be good for both of them.

the weiss acquisition seemed good at the time of the signing though (and i think still will be considered good when all is said and done), samuelsson's did not.

Sure, but that's not Samuelsson's fault. It is Holland's

Weiss was supposed to be good to go after the Olympics they said, Pavs knee injury wasn't bad enough to keep him out of a game they said. Joakim Andersson, who shouldn't even be in the line-up, is centering the top line. That's ******* insanity. This season is a disaster.