• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#121 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Weiss is healthy and he's ready to go first game back from the Olympics. I'm just worried about Franzen. Ansar Khan tweeted that he still hasn't skated.

Then he'll probably go on LTIR, delaying the cap hell the team will be in if they can't get rid of salary.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#122 themcityblues

themcityblues

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Considering Franzen's year as-a-whole, it's probably not terrible news for the team that he isn't skating.  As an individual it's awful he is still sidelined and I would never have wished it on him or anybody else.

#123 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Considering Franzen's year as-a-whole, it's probably not terrible news for the team that he isn't skating.  As an individual it's awful he is still sidelined and I would never have wished it on him or anybody else.

I'm not sure what this means, but he had 23 points in 31 games so far this year, That's on pace for 61 points in a full season, and he was red hot when he was injured, so yes it is a loss.

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#124 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

I'm not sure what this means, but he had 23 points in 31 games so far this year, That's on pace for 61 points in a full season, and he was red hot when he was injured, so yes it is a loss.

Yeah, but those points don't count as much because if he played hard he could score more.  28 goals from Franzen is the same as 12 from Miller because Miller works harder.  Or some other stupid line of thought like that.  And Hossa.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#125 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, but those points don't count as much because if he played hard he could score more.  28 goals from Franzen is the same as 12 from Miller because Miller works harder.  Or some other stupid line of thought like that.  And Hossa.

Haha, yeah. Franzen was not only red hot before he was injured, he was consistent for a longer period of time than be has been in years. Maybe since 09? I was ready to believe he finally shook off the ridiculous degree of streakiness.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#126 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Huh? Franzen was playing pretty excellent before he got hurt.

The only "good" thing about it is that, as someone mentioned above, it helps us very temporarily with the cap situation that Holland put us in with the Clearmuelsstuzzi contracts as we can keep Mule on LTIR when Weiss comes back.

Edited by hooon, 12 February 2014 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#127 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Huh? Franzen was playing pretty excellent before he got hurt.

The only "good" thing about it is that, as someone mentioned above, it helps us very temporarily with the cap situation that Holland put us in with the Clearmuelsstuzzi contracts as we can keep Mule on LTIR when Weiss comes back.

everything just seems to narrowly and perfectly work out with perfect timing for KH doesn't it

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#128 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Zetterberg, herniated disc again.

http://www.tsn.ca/ol...tory/?id=443773

Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#129 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Zetterberg, herniated disc again.

http://www.tsn.ca/ol...tory/?id=443773

I just saw this also on the NHL homepage. Horrible news for the team moving forward. Our two best players are not 100% with only 24 games left in the season. Not good.

#130 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

the kids have to continue to step up. judging by Z's comments re: datsyuks injury, i don't think Z will risk it as much as pav but hopefully both will be fine by the time play resumes.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#131 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

id love for dats to sit out the usa game, with the way we hit

#132 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Did Datsyuk play this morning? Anybody watch? How did he look?

#133 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Did Datsyuk play this morning? Anybody watch? How did he look?

He did.
He looked hobbled.
I seen him fall a few times, and he limped off after being sloofooted and I didnt see his final toi, but it wasnt alot.

#134 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

he played, but it wasnt a 100% Pasha out there thats for sure.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#135 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

No more call ups for the rest of the season per khan, due to weiss coming back, almost dad to see. They looked good.

#136 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yeah i just read that Jurco n Sheahan are back in GR until next season. Laaaaame.

#137 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Yeah i just read that Jurco n Sheahan are back in GR until next season. Laaaaame.

playoffs

#138 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

Unless a trade is made to clear salary or more people get hurt.  Even if it wasn't for the cap though, you can't send down every vet on your roster in favor of prospects.

#139 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

playoffs

Plus: inevitable future injuries. Hell, we've got ten players in Sochi, at least two of which are clearly trying to play through injury. So I'd say the odds are pretty good that at least one of Jurco/Sheahan will be called up again before we even reach the playoffs. And another thing: it's only going to get rougher, chippier, etc. from here until the playoffs, given how tight the races are in both conferences. So, really, we WILL be dealing with more injuries. Bank on it.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that Cleary and Bertuzzi (and Samuelsson?) are, ultimately, safe. So all the talk about the best guys playing and a guy's pay being irrelevant was mostly just talk. Not that I don't get that we're in cap hell. I guess I, like everyone, am frustrated that we have to be in cap hell at all. Re-signing Cleary and Bertuzzi, overpaying Tootoo, bringing back Samuelsson...and I'm not convinced Kenny has learned his lesson.

Edited by Dabura, 13 February 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#140 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Plus: inevitable future injuries. Hell, we've got ten players in Sochi, at least two of which are clearly trying to play through injury. So I'd say the odds are pretty good that at least one of Jurco/Sheahan will be called up again before we even reach the playoffs. And another thing: it's only going to get rougher, chippier, etc. from here until the playoffs, given how tight the races are in both conferences. So, really, we WILL be dealing with more injuries. Bank on it.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that Cleary and Bertuzzi (and Samuelsson?) are, ultimately, safe. So all the talk about the best guys playing and a guy's pay being irrelevant was mostly just talk. Not that I don't get that we're in cap hell. I guess I, like everyone, am frustrated that we have to be in cap hell at all. Re-signing Cleary and Bertuzzi, overpaying Tootoo, bringing back Samuelsson...and I'm not convinced Kenny has learned his lesson.

Cleary is probably going to need to go down for cap reasons, and so will Samuelsson.  Bertuzzi only clears $100k though.  Unless they make a trade, they can afford this forward lineup:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Alfredsson

Miller-Andersson-Bertuzzi

and one of Glendening or Emmerton.  That leaves not very much cap space.  If they choose Emmerton, they may have enough for Samuelsson too, but only just.  I didn't run that scenario through capgeek because Samuelsson is so terrible.