• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

What Do You Make of the Habs?

Rate this topic

The struggles of the Montreal Canadiens aren't going away without change [Eyes On The Prize]

Came across this piece last night/this morning. It surprised me a bit, as I had thought everyone in Habs Land is happy with their team. At the same time, I've had this feeling that the Habs are not as good as their record and place in the standings would suggest, that they, like the Leafs, are the beneficiaries of wicked goaltending and a lot of cosmic luck, neither of which is really sustainable over a full 82+.

What do you think? Are this season's Montreal Canadiens the real deal, or should we exect them to take a tumble in the standings? Do they make the playoffs? If so, do they do some damage? Or do they get exposed, not unlike last season?

I haven't really watched them much this season. But in years past it always seemed like they weren't built for the tight checking of the playoffs. They had neither the toughness nor the high end skill to be successful in the playoffs. But again, I haven't seen them much this season.

Remember when the Habs finished 2nd in the East and got knocked off by the Sens? Look no further for examples of how they aren't built for the playoffs. The Sens grinded it out and beat a small wimpy Habs team. Add the worst fans in the league from Montreal and you have a recipe for failure.

Guest mjtm77

I've said it for 2 weeks. The Hab's will finish 3rd behind the Wings and we will have a first round series with them. Price is not a big game goalie been proven time and time again.

Tampa bay is playing amazing. No way they fall out of it.

IMO they re the biggest threat for the wings. I would rather play Boston or Pittsburg

Looking at them on paper, their top 6 isn't really all that great. You have two skilled forwards in Plekanec and Pacioretty followed by Gionta, Eller on the 2nd line with Pacioretty. Desharnias and Gallagher on the top line with Plekanec. Neither line appears too threatening to me. Top D pairing is Subban and Gorges with aging Markov on the 2nd pair.

Price has put up great numbers, otherwise they don't quite have the roster to be in the position they sit now in my opinion, I can't see them sustaining long term.

Montreal doesn't have the build as they sit to be a contending cup team.

The recent "controversy" regarding Subban's celebration v. Ottawa was amusing (come to think of it, Subban "controversies" are always amusing. If the "cap jump" rumour turns out to be true, they'd better be prepared to hand over a whole lotta money if they want to keep him.

Montreal always seem to be an "under the radar" team that manages to find a way to self distruct.

Upon watching teams that are real contenders, BOS,CHI,ANA,SJ to name a few, you can see the Habs, not unlike the wings are not a real complete team capable of making it to the finals.

But i mean anything can happen once the playoffs start.

From what I gather their fans are desperate for a coaching change.

They have talent but I don't see them as a very strong team over 7 games.

Haha, given that they're only willing to hire french canadian coaches they'd better slow it down a little on the coaching changes. Alain Vigneault already has a job and Guy Boucher sucks, so there's nobody else but Therrien left.

Guest mjtm77

From watching allot of games The Habs are a poor St. Louis blues. A depth team where different lines step up at different times. They are not a playoff team

The recent "controversy" regarding Subban's celebration v. Ottawa was amusing (come to think of it, Subban "controversies" are always amusing. If the "cap jump" rumour turns out to be true, they'd better be prepared to hand over a whole lotta money if they want to keep him.

Montreal always seem to be an "under the radar" team that manages to find a way to self distruct.

If i can find the article ill link it, but his agent has said he's seeking 8+.

They gambled with the bridge contract and he won the Norris.

The only elite thing on this team, is Price (if he is hot if not nothing on this team is elite):

- defense: they lack an oldschool stay home defenseman

- offense: although Cammaleri wasn't great at least he was a dangerous goalscorer now their top 6 just doesn't have that kind of scoring threat

- coaching: Therrien was on the edge of having a team with Letang, Malkin and Crosby missing the playoffs, he called his players out during a presser - terrible coach. Since the only hire french Canadian coaches, there aren't many left like someone said Guy Boucher and now Claude Noel are the only available options

- not built for the playoffs, this a run and gun team not willing/able to sacrifice some egos in order for the team-

Bergevin has his work cut out for him and it's not going to be easy and I think, he is a good GM. Solved the easiest to fix weakness of the team this season and should fix the defense next.