• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

1/20 GDT: Blues 4 @ Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

This team is not the team they planned on having. It's not even close. The guys who are #2 and #3 forwards lately, and their best wingers, are at a 0.5 PPG pace and are still learning what it takes to be consistently good at the NHL level. 5 of their 6 best forwards are out except for Helm, who missed a big chunk of games and just came back last night. Couple that with the vets who were counted on in support roles doing absolutely nothing, and you're not going to play at a high level on a game to game basis.

This i agree with :)

This team is not the team they planned on having. It's not even close. The guys who are #2 and #3 forwards lately, and their best wingers, are at a 0.5 PPG pace and are still learning what it takes to be consistently good at the NHL level. 5 of their 6 best forwards are out except for Helm, who missed a big chunk of games and just came back last night. Couple that with the vets who were counted on in support roles doing absolutely nothing, and you're not going to play at a high level on a game to game basis.

All of this reeks of being perfect excuse fodder for Kenny when he does nothing this summer.

I'm sof****** sick of this. I lived through the 80s please don't make me do it again

I was lucky enough to miss that decade from what I heard about the team, this is rough. I can't imagine it being much worse..

Im gonna withold my judgement on Kenny until he does/doesnt make something happen at the deadline.

Ahhh. But you see, Holland can't make something happen at the deadline because he's got basically zero cap space.

Plus, our deadline "aquisitions" will be getting our injured players back.

Then, this summer, nothing will be done to improve the team because Holland is going to claim that injuries were the reason we missed the playoffs. While he may be partly right, injuries do not absolve him of bad signings over the last two years.

Then, he'll re-sign Cleary and Bertuzzi, stating that they are servicable veterans that were asked to do more than they should have, again, because of injuries.

/negative rant

Edited by rick zombo

I was lucky enough to miss that decade from what I heard about the team, this is rough. I can't imagine it being much worse..

Granted, I was young at the time, but I have such a vivid memory of throwing a toy dinner plate at my dad's head after a loss :lol:

He won't let me live it down, and always hides any throwable items whenever we watch games together even now.

My point being the 80s were very tantrum inducing, and I fear for our fan base if we see the likes of those times again...

Ahhh. But you see, Holland can't make something happen at the deadline because he's got basically zero cap space.

Plus, our deadline "aquisitions" will be getting our injured players back.

Then, this summer, nothing will be done to improve the team because Holland is going to claim that injuries were the reason we missed the playoffs. While he may be partly right, injuries do not absolve him of bad signings over the last two years.

Then, he'll re-sign Cleary and Bertuzzi, stating that they are servicable veterans that were asked to do more than they should have, again, because of injuries.

/negative rant

If this happens i'll be at the front of the pack, torch and pitchfork in hand. Heating up the tar and stockpiling feathers.

All of this reeks of being perfect excuse fodder for Kenny when he does nothing this summer.

If doing nothing means there are spots left open for 3 of Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro, and Callahan, plus a rookie d-man, I'll be ok with that. I'd much rather have that than a #4 d-man signed for $18 mil over 4 years or Grabovski at $25 mil for 5 years.

I've never seen a team give up so much after they're down by more than one goal. Babs got these guys motivated. Maybe it's with him saying in every interviews were never going to win a game unless it's 1-0 or 2-1

Amidst all the bitching and moaning and weeping and wailing and beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth, this is actually a fair point. How many come from behind wins have we had this season? Any? Bueller?

But its not down to lack of motivation or coaching, its lack of firepower, pure and simple. For 20 years we've been used to RedWings comebacks. Coast for 40 minutes, then pour it on in the 3rd. Wave after wave of attacks. relentless pressure, opposition D panicking because they know its only a matter of time. You might fend off Datsyuk, you might fend off Zetterberg, Hossa, Holmstrom, Franzen and Lidstrom, you can get your 3rd pairing out there for a shift......but Detroit has Sammy or Cleary or Bertuzzi (back when they were good) or Hudler or Filpulla out there, and you just know someone is going to score the tying goal.

Now? Its Zetterberg, and a couple of 40 point kids.

For those comparing this to the Wings of the 80s, some perspective from an old timer.

The Wings missed the playoffs 5 consecutive years from 79-83. Keep in mind this was the era when only 5 teams didn't make the playoffs. You heard me, 5.

In 83 they called up Stevie Yzerman from Peterboro. They made the playoffs with a losing record of 31-42-7 and lost in the first round. The next year they made the playoffs with an even worse record, 27-41-12 (for you youngins that last number is ties, not ROW) losing in the first round again. The year after that, 1986, they only won 17 games all season, losing 57 times and missing the playoffs.

This current Wings roster is an average team that is struggling with a ton of injuries. They might not even make the playoffs but are still middle of the pack in their conference. On any given night they at least have chance of being in a game and winning.

They may be frustrating as hell to watch, but they are still nowhere near the Dead Wings.

For those comparing this to the Wings of the 80s, some perspective from an old timer.

The Wings missed the playoffs 5 consecutive years from 79-83. Keep in mind this was the era when only 5 teams didn't make the playoffs. You heard me, 5.

In 83 they called up Stevie Yzerman from Peterboro. They made the playoffs with a losing record of 31-42-7 and lost in the first round. The next year they made the playoffs with an even worse record, 27-41-12 (for you youngins that last number is ties, not ROW) losing in the first round again. The year after that, 1986, they only won 17 games all season, losing 57 times and missing the playoffs.

This current Wings roster is an average team that is struggling with a ton of injuries. They might not even make the playoffs but are still middle of the pack in their conference. On any given night they at least have chance of being in a game and winning.

They may be frustrating as hell to watch, but they are still nowhere near the Dead Wings.

That 1986 team also had 10 guys who hit 100+ PIM's. Kocur led that group with 377 PIM.

Has to be one of the most entertaining bad teams in history.

I remember watching the Grand Rapids Griffins during the 2009-2012 era when they completely sucked ass. They would regularly finish near the bottom of the standings but did I ever stop watching their games? Hell ******* no because they played entertaining hockey, they always visably gave 110% every game despite their shortcomings and even in defeat you could appreciate a good game of hockey and look forward to the next one.

Do I feel that way about the Wings now? No. Do I stay up till 3am watching every Wings game like I used to until the beginning of this season? No. Do I choose watching the Wings over the Griffins now? f*** no. Watching the Wings now is frustrating, dull and predictable. There's little heart, energy or clear display of effort and determination to at least leave you feeling they gave it their best shot. Hell the ones who do actually give their all every shift of every game will be back in Grand Rapids once the injuries subside so it's win-win for me to just keep watching the Griffins.

I fell asleep watching the game last night about midway through the second period.

That 1986 team also had 10 guys who hit 100+ PIM's. Kocur led that group with 377 PIM.

Has to be one of the most entertaining bad teams in history.

And Probert had 186 PIM in 44 games. It was pretty awesome having two of the toughest enforcers in the league, along with plenty of other guys not afraid to mix it up. As a kid it was fun to sneak down to better seats and hang out by the bench during warm ups. I think the players were happy just not to get booed. But losing still gets old even with the brawling.

The next season with the Wings coming back in the playoffs to Toronto after being down 3 games to 1 felt like winning the Stanley Cup at the time. Then Probie's season in '88. Man oh man...

Then came Jacques Demers and all became right with the world again. Even a trip to the conference finals against Edmonton in 87...

Guest mjtm77

Jeez guys. We're not a bad team. We need Heath

You must be new here

Ha.

If you came here to be cerebral, go somewhere else.

This is panic country.

Theres bats everywhere, and all I've got is a suitcase full of Pavel datsyuk.

With no way to get him back into the system.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

somebody else already pointed it out but how do the Devils demolish the Blues 7-1?

Then i notice that Brunner has a three point night in his first game after his injury

then i look at the stats of Flip in Tampa Bay

then I look at the stats of Hudler in Calgary

then i get nauseated at our stats....

WTF happenend. These three guys would be in our top 5 scoring if they were still here (yes i know....the money they wanted, the top line minutes they wanted....)

Argh

somebody else already pointed it out but how do the Devils demolish the Blues 7-1?

Then i notice that Brunner has a three point night in his first game after his injury

WTF happenend. These three guys would be in our top 5 scoring if they were still here (yes i know....the money they wanted, the top line minutes they wanted....)

Argh

Also note the lack of production when they were here Edited by Euro_Twins

Argh

Brunner isn't doing any better than last year

Right now Cammalleri is Calgary's Datsyuk, and Hudler is their Zetterberg. Happy Hudler is literally one of their go to guys. We know he can score, and in that role, with those minutes, he's doing it. Doesn't mean he's any better at D and the Flames still suck, with or without him.

Filppula looks like his 2011-12 self. I believe we really got screwed by the lockout. Fil had a production setback in a weird year that also happened to be a contract year. Praying Weiss gets 100% and finds his game soon.