• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

thing is even though its true that we could move someone for different talent lets face it we KNOW our GM what major moves has he made in the cap era? snagging Hossa could have worked out like a charm but we all know what happened there I think its going to take a miracle for Holland to let go  of anyone his like a little kid who cant decided which one of his favorite toys to put in the donation box its just to hard for him

Edited by sjr2012, 21 January 2014 - 07:31 PM.

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#42 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

yes I do like to plan things out for a few years. In the business world it is called strategic planning, which the RW's need to improve at. The main focus of the draft and the minor leagues is to provide talent for the big club. You can do that 2 ways: drafting, developing, and keeping OR drafting developing and trading. At some point every roster has a hole. Some would say we currently have a lot of holes right now. So how do we fill those holes? What do we have coming? How long before they are ready? Are there positions of strength and depth that can be used to fill positions of weakness?

This thread kinda ties in with my 2014 draft thread. Where are we weak? The answer is: big scoring forwards. We have 2 good G prospects, a bunch of D prospects, a few grinder types and a few small skilled guys. laying the system out like this shows that very clearly. This allows us to make moves if/when Holland decides to move. Assuming he will of course......

#43 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

For JVR It would prob take nyquist, 1st round pick and a top prospect in GR
Posted Image

#44 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Following this line of though, one guy I've been interested in is Mikkel Boedker from Phoenix.  He's defensively responsible, SUPER fast, young, and has pretty good size (6ft. 210 lbs.), and plays for a team that's not likely to push for a playoff spot.  He's having a breakout year this year after moderate success in the past.  This is the kind of under the radar move that could pay off huge in the future if the kid continues to develop upward.  Plus, you certainly wouldn't need to give Nyquist and a 1st for him.

I got to watch Boedker come through the AHL since our team was still affiliated with the Yotes at that time.  Puck was always under his nose and he always seemed to be involved in the play.  Me likey.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#45 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

I think its going to take a miracle for Holland to let go of anyone his like a little kid who cant decided which one of his favorite toys to put in the donation box its just to hard for him

Great analogy.  I think this is a very accurate assessment of how Holland has approached signing in the last few years.  To take is a step further, he won't let go of his new toys, because the last one he gave away (Hossa) ended up being the coolest toy on the block, while he was stuck holding a toy that was constantly breaking (Franzen).  Additionally, he has an extremely restrictive sense of nostalgia. He knows some of the toys are beyond repair (Cleary), but he can't bring himself to give it away because they remind him of better days; even though letting go would ultimately make him happy. Lastly, there are toys that he over payed for and refuses to acknowledge was a bad decision (Quincey).

I think what makes the analogy so apt is that it brings to mind how childish Holland is being.  He needs to make difficult decisions, but is acting like a scared, selfish child. 

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

I got to watch Boedker come through the AHL since our team was still affiliated with the Yotes at that time.  Puck was always under his nose and he always seemed to be involved in the play.  Me likey.

I mean, superficially he seems like the kind of guy that would work for us.  He's developed in a defense first system, he's got real good speed, and is producing well despite less offensively gifted linemates.  Give him some shifts with our skill guys and it seems like he should flourish. 

One thing I really like about him is that he gets very little PP time.  So almost all of his pretty impressive production has come 5-on-5, which would be a big help on our team. 

But I don't want to sit here and pretend that I know what guys the team should specifically target.  I just know that year after year we all sit and speculate about all the big named targets and it never pans out.  Maybe the under the radar moves are the more realistic option.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#47 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Great analogy.  I think this is a very accurate assessment of how Holland has approached signing in the last few years.  To take is a step further, he won't let go of his new toys, because the last one he gave away (Hossa) ended up being the coolest toy on the block, while he was stuck holding a toy that was constantly breaking (Franzen).  Additionally, he has an extremely restrictive sense of nostalgia. He knows some of the toys are beyond repair (Cleary), but he can't bring himself to give it away because they remind him of better days; even though letting go would ultimately make him happy. Lastly, there are toys that he over payed for and refuses to acknowledge was a bad decision (Quincey).

I think what makes the analogy so apt is that it brings to mind how childish Holland is being.  He needs to make difficult decisions, but is acting like a scared, selfish child. 

Spot on..........i think if holland isnt going to try to make the quote unquote tough decisions than he needs to step down and give someone else a shot it is hard to cut ties and part ways with guys who er were a big  part of our cup run but thats over now truth is cleary WAS  a good player his not anymore and sammy WAS a decent player but he can barley crack this lineup we need to move on and give the shots to someone else the kids cant all come up and be Datsuyks and Zettys so we need to have a combination of them, a few of our vets, a nice big forward who can score some goals to add to it and you have the ingredients for a nice run or possibly a cup run if the moves are right the time has come for holland to s*** or get off the pot

Edited by sjr2012, 21 January 2014 - 07:51 PM.

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#48 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's easy to be frustrated at holland but its the injuries that are killing us. Although holland has been very mediocre in his choices lately
Posted Image