• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Secret

Canadian Olympians trust, believe in Babcock

Rate this topic

Not the same at all. Babs is a great, world-class coach. That isn't the issue with the Wings at all. The issue is if he is the right coach for the team Holland keeps putting together.

The issue is Holland giving him dusty players to put on the ice with NTC's so the team is handcuffed to them.

Maybe the question should be if Holland is the right GM for Babcock? I'm hoping Holland will take his head out of Sweden's ass for a while.

Or... should Holland be thinking of going Jim Irsay's route and trading some still valued but aging bits for some more youthful (and hopefully Canadian) one's? I was not a fan of Irsay's move but has worked out like a charm for him, his organizations future and Peyton's as well (Manning leads Bronco's to the SuperBowl and shows his new ring to Irsay via twitter... you heard it here first)

Edited by The Secret

I think Babs is more or less pissed about the lineup and injuries and could care less if we make the playoffs or not. Holland probably said to him I know this roster sucks so if you make the playoffs great, if not I understand. Now with the injuries I think he doesn't expect to win any games until after the olympic break.

Good thing is we have seen some good development from our young guys. Maybe his coaching is directed towards developing these guys more so than winning with the vets playing just so the team doesn't completely fly off the rails like Edmonton.

I just don't understand Smith not on PP and Kindl still playing in NHL

The issue is Holland giving him dusty players to put on the ice with NTC's so the team is handcuffed to them.

That's certainly PART of the issue, and admittedly it's not insignificant. But injuries have given everyone on this forum the youth movement that they wanted, and you see how Babs uses them. That shouldn't be ignored or downplayed any more than Holland's dumb a** personnel moves of the last couple years. Based on his use of them so far, it's pretty obvious that according to Babs the depth chart is something like this:

Top End Guys:

Dats, Z, Kronwall, Franzen, Alfie, Ericsson

"Reliable Vets":

Cleary, Bert, Quincey, Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm

Responsible Youth:

Nyquist, Glendening, Andersson,

"Irresponsible" Youth:

Tatar, Kindl, Smith

New Wave Youth:

Jurco, Sheahan

Lastly:

Sammy

What makes anybody think that Babs is just pining for a youth movement. Cut the dead wood and guys like Glendening, Andersson, and Nyquist get more ice time. Not the guys who are actually creating momentum for us.

Edited by kipwinger

Yeah, but do you think they'll ask Babs or Kenny to move on first?

Babcock sounds a lot like he has already quit on the season. That being said, he still doesn't trust the youth enough and that's hard to understand. The veterans just are over the hill, yes the kids will make mistakes but so what at least they are learning from it.

If Babcock and Holland aren't on the same boat anymore, then it's time for someone to go and I don't think Holland will make that decision alone, Mike Ilitch will for sure have something to say about it too. I still think Babcock is by far the best coach but every coach has a shelf life. Maybe he isn't happy with the way this team is built at all and that's why he doesn't trust the young guns who knows.

Edited by frankgrimes

I think Babs is set in the old Detroit ways, where the vets dominate the playing time because of their longveity. Like frankgrimes said the youth will make mistakes, but they will learn from it. Whereas the vets who make the same mistakes aren't learning from them because they aren't mistakes, it's the way they have been doing it for years. The classic "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." The vets need to move aside and let the youth get some ice time and Babs and Holland need to realize this. If not then it is time for a change.

I think Babs is set in the old Detroit ways, where the vets dominate the playing time because of their longveity. Like frankgrimes said the youth will make mistakes, but they will learn from it. Whereas the vets who make the same mistakes aren't learning from them because they aren't mistakes, it's the way they have been doing it for years. The classic "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." The vets need to move aside and let the youth get some ice time and Babs and Holland need to realize this. If not then it is time for a change.

Think so too, Babcock and Holland are used to seeing great players dominate and supportplayers being just that support players. Just because someonei s a veteran doesn't mean you they are going to play over their heads magically, ride the young generation and see where it leads.

I know tough love is part of the business, but cutting someones icetime because he made a mistake is not going to help let them play through it.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of too many men penalties this year? Babs has got to clean that up

I think Holland and Babs r perfect for each other. They both wanna play a softer skill game.

What? If that was true, then why all the injuries? Holland put together a softer team than Babs seems to realize.

I haven't seen qualities of a well coached team on the wings in the last 3 years

FA coming here and drastically under performing and then leaving and having career years

Lost us games in the playoffs by having the wrong lines on the ice in key situations. Never vice versa

I'm done with Babs. He has a key role in deciding players we sign as well

I haven't seen qualities of a well coached team on the wings in the last 3 years

FA coming here and drastically under performing and then leaving and having career years

Lost us games in the playoffs by having the wrong lines on the ice in key situations. Never vice versa

LOL... What team are you watching then? Didn't last years team - Lidstrom -Stuart +New assistant coach +a pile of rookies (this include Smith who, last year, was better off playing for the opponents) and + a million injuries manage to make the playoffs ,get to the second round and take the eventual Cup Champs to game 7? ...that could have very well been our Cup! I'd even go as far to say that in the end that we there the toughest challenge for the Blackhawks on their way to the Cup! Thanks Coach.... couldn't have gotten there without you!!

Edited by The Secret

We are still talking about the Olympics, right?

I, for the life of me, cannot think of one individual who could supplant him. Besides, as I recall, he did all right four years ago.

I started the thread to talk about Babock in general and to show that this guy is the best there is right now. I don't think people understand the weight of the drastic changes this team has gone through the past few years which includes losing staples, adding noobs and a million injuries to front line regulars. Its hard to get consistency on a team with a revolving door of players and had there been any other coach in the world behind the bench this team would have missed the play offs long ago and would not be even on the bubble of making it again this year... If Babcock says "I wouldn't bet against us" then I wouldn't bet against him!

In all honesty, I scratch my head at times with some of his decisions... its normal and my right as a fan but I don't any Stanley Cup rings nor Gold medals as a professional coach either. I'm sure their job has a good measure of luck required to be successful as it also requires the vision and knowledge. I'd say his vision and knowledge are CARRYING us right now with all the horrible luck we have been experiencing. We just scrapped out a victory against one of the best, if not the best, team in the league... with a backup goalie, a s*** load of key injuries and Babcock driving the boat!

....wasn't talking about the team. Pretty sure I said something about Holland and Babs.

You said Holland and Babs are perfect for each other in the fact that they want a softer skills game. True. However, my point is if they want the soft skills game then the team they have on the ice isn't it. If they want the skills game they need to find players that fit those roles.

You said Holland and Babs are perfect for each other in the fact that they want a softer skills game. True. However, my point is if they want the soft skills game then the team they have on the ice isn't it. If they want the skills game they need to find players that fit those roles.

Besides the fact that I wan't commenting on what type of players we actually have, I'm pretty sure Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Alfredsson, Weiss, Nyquist, Jurco, and Tatar all fit the skills game. Doesn't help though when 3 of the highest paid of those 8 are injured.

? Who are you taking about?

Besides the fact that I wan't commenting on what type of players we actually have, I'm pretty sure Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Alfredsson, Weiss, Nyquist, Jurco, and Tatar all fit the skills game. Doesn't help though when 3 of the highest paid of those 8 are injured.

? Who are you taking about?

I didn't mean FA coming and going I guess my phrasing was off

Referring to how bad Quincey, Weisse and Samuelsson have been and how Hudler and Flippula leave and flourish