• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Almqvist or Backman

Rate this topic

just a quick look at our Swedish blueline prospects comparison's to our current Swedish Dmen.

Looking at their SHL careers and what they accomplished afterwards, does it give us a accurate guide on

what to expect from Almqvist or Backman.

SHL figures:

If we take Kronwall, 6' and 190lb lefty, had stats of played 166 games with 12+33 = 45 pts and a +3 rating.

Ericsson on the other hand, at 6'5" 225lb lefty played 81 games with 1+0= 1 and a -16 rating.

Almqvist 5' 11" and 174lb lefty, played 122 games with 5+30= 35 pts and +47 rating.

Backman 6'2" and 170lb lefty has played 146 games to date with 7+43= 50pts and +33 rating.

Judging by the Swedish Hockey League figures Backman looks to have the edge on all of them?

Almqvist, Nik and Eric have also all played over 100+ games in the AHL. How do they add up;

Kronwall 102 g 15+51= 66pts and a +11 rating.

Ericsson 176 g 17+61= 78pts and a +21 rating.

Almqvist 109 g 10+44= 54pts and a +12 rating.

Kronwall now lives up to be the highest pick amongst them as having the best overall AHL stats.

Our prospect pool on the D is very deep, Backman is due to come over next year and start his pro

career in Grand Rapids. It will be interesting to see how he copes with the smaller ice and bigger

opposition. Has he already overtaken Almqvist in the Wings pecking order without playing in the A?

Almqvist, I believe, is out of options after this year and would need to clear waivers to return to Grand Rapids, so if he's re-signed, I would think he gets first crack at a Detroit roster spot over all the other D prospects. Backman will start in Grand Rapids unless he completely blows everyone's doors off and beats out every D prospect. Also, Backman is 3" taller than Almqvist, but is 4 lbs. lighter. He'll have to put on some muscle before he gets a legit shot.

By all accounts Bachman has the better all around game. Almquist has a nice shot, but he's pretty limited in every other regard. On a team with a stud defense, Almquist could probably play the roll of offensive d-man and PP point a la Torey Krug. But our team is already weak defensively, so I can't see him playing well for us.

Almquist just doesn't have the physical skills necessary to be a consistent NHL player in my mind. Realistically he likely won't be a Krug or Boyle type guy but I'll admit it is possible of course. Backman has more of a natural body type for the NHL where he can compete physically with bigger players. He also produces pretty well so far in the SHL. These factors make Backman the safer bet.

Regardless of his size, because I hate when people bring it up, Almquist is going to be a solid defenseman for the Wings if he gets the chance. I watch him constantly when I watch the Griffins, and he's outstanding offensively. I don't regret saying this next statement, but he reminds me so much of Lidstrom offensively. He's always got his head up, makes great passes, and he always keeps his shot low to the ice. Sure, he isn't going to knock anybody over, but he positions himself well, and is incredibly intelligent. None of us have seen Backman play, but I assume he will be good. But I can truly say I have watched Adam and I am truly impressed by him.

Easily backman .... I wish almquist was here now though ... I think he would greatly help the 2nd ppl unit

Is he a right handed shot with a thick body? No, so Babcock wouldn't have him on the PP. I understand that having a right shot on the point is nice, but talent is more important. Kronwall, Kindl, and Smith for sure shoould be on the points of the 2 units, and Alfredsson should be playing lower along the half boards or the slot instead of the point.

I went to the Griffin's game this last Saturday, and all I can say is that Almquist didn't stand out in any way. He's small, not very good defensively and didn't even register a shot I don't think. Obviously, without seeing Backman play, I can't say if I think he'd be better, but Almquist just didn't impress.

Haven't watched the guy play myself but from eliteprospects:

Bäckman is an offensive defenseman with good on-ice vision and mobility. Contributes offensively by delivering clever passes and a good shot.

He is however very bad in the defensive zone. His physical game is extremely weak and he sometimes makes foolish decisions in 2-on-1 situations.

I'd also like to mention that Kronwall's stats are way more impressive than both AA's and Backman's. The SHL was a much better league back then. That said hopefully one of these guys turn out good. Got more hope in AA at the moment as I've seen him more and think his brief NHL stint showed that he's got talent that stands out even there, Backman meanwhile has to come over and adjust to small ice and we'll see how that goes.

Almquist just surpassed his point totals from last season with about 30 or so games to go(31 points last year, 32 so far this year). 2 goals and 9 assists in his last 7 games. Also scored the shootout winner tonight(only player to score). Regardless of size, it's hard to not be a little bit excited about the offensive potential.

Almquist just surpassed his point totals from last season with about 30 or so games to go(31 points last year, 32 so far this year). 2 goals and 9 assists in his last 7 games. Also scored the shootout winner tonight(only player to score). Regardless of size, it's hard to not be a little bit excited about the offensive potential.

If we want to be a good puck possession team again he should be part of our plans. We may not have a Lidstrom to pair him with, but with Dekeyser or Ericsson I think he'd be fine next year.

I'd like to weigh in and say that defensively Almqvist has had an absolute nightmare this season in GR. Just last night he did a Lilja and gave them the puck about 2 feet from the net for their second goal. The amount of giveaways and boneheaded plays he makes at AHL level is very worrying. At the end of December he was the ONLY defender with a minus rating (-1) with the next lowest Dman +10!

Not to mention the fact he doesn't seem to be getting any bigger weight and strength wise. I think Sproul, Oullett and Marchenko are already way ahead of him in the depth chart. I can him being waived next season.

I'd like to weigh in and say that defensively Almqvist has had an absolute nightmare this season in GR. Just last night he did a Lilja and gave them the puck about 2 feet from the net for their second goal. The amount of giveaways and boneheaded plays he makes at AHL level is very worrying. At the end of December he was the ONLY defender with a minus rating (-1) with the next lowest Dman +10!

Not to mention the fact he doesn't seem to be getting any bigger weight and strength wise. I think Sproul, Oullett and Marchenko are already way ahead of him in the depth chart. I can him being waived next season.

Thanks for the input personally I think with all the tools pro athletes are having these days, bulking up strength and weight wise can be done more effectively than ever. Or do it the Stamkos way and attend the Gary Roberts school in the summer.

But waiving the guy and losing him for nothing, without looking at him wouldn't be smart maybe he surprises or at least plays ok and another team would give up something for Almquist.