• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'd like to weigh in and say that defensively Almqvist has had an absolute nightmare this season in GR. Just last night he did a Lilja and gave them the puck about 2 feet from the net for their second goal. The amount of giveaways and boneheaded plays he makes at AHL level is very worrying. At the end of December he was the ONLY defender with a minus rating (-1) with the next lowest Dman +10!

Not to mention the fact he doesn't seem to be getting any bigger weight and strength wise. I think Sproul, Oullett and Marchenko are already way ahead of him in the depth chart. I can him being waived next season.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'd like to weigh in and say that defensively Almqvist has had an absolute nightmare this season in GR. Just last night he did a Lilja and gave them the puck about 2 feet from the net for their second goal. The amount of giveaways and boneheaded plays he makes at AHL level is very worrying. At the end of December he was the ONLY defender with a minus rating (-1) with the next lowest Dman +10!

Not to mention the fact he doesn't seem to be getting any bigger weight and strength wise. I think Sproul, Oullett and Marchenko are already way ahead of him in the depth chart. I can him being waived next season.

Thanks for the input personally I think with all the tools pro athletes are having these days, bulking up strength and weight wise can be done more effectively than ever. Or do it the Stamkos way and attend the Gary Roberts school in the summer.

But waiving the guy and losing him for nothing, without looking at him wouldn't be smart maybe he surprises or at least plays ok and another team would give up something for Almquist.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#23 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Almquist is a RFA this summer.  I could see him heading home.  His offense isn't nearly good enough to make up for his defensive short comings.  People want Kindl, Quincey, and Smith gone for their mistakes, Almquist is a good step worse than any of them.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!