Photo
- - - - -

So when would you make a move and what type?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

I disagree with the notion that we're not a cup contender when healthy. Maybe your idea of a contender is only the teams in the top tier (Chi, Pit, Bos, Stl, SJ, Ana), but I see us as being one of few teams that can actually pull an upset against any of the top teams. We have a core of experienced guys that can still go head-to-head with the league's best and match or outmatch them, and we have a support crew of good playoff guys like Franzen and Alfie and young and hungry guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Dekeyser, Smith. 

Don't give up on the season before we see what this team can actually do when healthy or close to it. Tonight, we're going to have a healthy defensive lineup for what, the 5th time this season? It's a good test against the Hawks, even if our depleted forwards and lack of #1 goalie will make it more difficult. 

As for moves, if we do so badly up until the trade deadline that we're basically out of it then I'd be 100% for moving Quincey/Kindl/Bert/Sammy/Cleary/Andersson/Eaves/Tootoo, basically any of the guys that are expendable. A 7th round pick, a conditional 6th, maybe a 2nd or 3rd, I'd take any return we could get. Though I doubt many would be interested. Alfie would have the most value, and sure, if he's not going to have the chance for a playoff run here I hope he gets traded so he gets a shot. Maybe he can still return for next season if he wants 1 more year and doesn't want to move his family anymore. 

Btw, as I understand it Franzen's contract is basically unmovable under the new CBA. If he retires we'd get a cap penalty for the remaining years. He would easily have a ton of value though contrary to what this board thinks. Big goalscorer with a reputation of being huge in the playoffs? Nah, who wants that...

If he was a big tough guy who could score goals regularly and was a consistent beast in the playoffs, why would the Wings want to get rid of him?  Isn't that exactly what they need?

These threads are always amusing.  Fans always seem to think our trash is everyone else's treasure.  

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

BTW, did anyone else think this thread would be about dating advice?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

The Fourth Period is rumoring the Wings are interested in Hemsky (every single year this rumor surfaces) and Brad Boyes.  I'll f*cking puke if either of these things happen.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

The Fourth Period is rumoring the Wings are interested in Hemsky (every single year this rumor surfaces) and Brad Boyes.  I'll f*cking puke if either of these things happen.

Same especially brad boyes both way too soft for my taste
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#25 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Kip, you ever notice there are very few rumors about the RW's and good players......... other than Ryan-who we foolishly passed on.......

#26 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

I don't think Kenny will do anything, unless we go on a 12 game tear , he'll just sit and let the season peeter out.

He will then try and sign Legwand on the cheap as a home town boy gesture finishing his career with his team.

Unless we are in contention I don't see any free agents coming here.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#27 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I just don't see any realistic trade right now that would drastically improve the Wings.  Any decent asset we have needs to be kept because there are so few.  The dead weight we'd like to get rid of won't get us anything in return.  We couldn't even get anyone to take them for free on waivers.  I hate to see Datsyuk and Zetterberg saddled with such a horrible team around them, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.  I think the Wings best bet is to let all the UFA's go at the end of the season, give all the young players regular ice time and roll the dice with them for next year.  Most of the UFA's that are out there from other teams are usually way overpriced and rarely worth the contracts they command and are past their prime.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Kip, you ever notice there are very few rumors about the RW's and good players......... other than Ryan-who we foolishly passed on.......

I definitely have noticed that.  On the one hand we never make any of the s***ty trades we're rumored to be making, on the other hand we never make any good ones either.  The closest we ever get is "the Red Wings are taking to GM whomever but nothing is imminent".  At least this level of ambiguity allows me to dream of something better than lame-ass Ales Hemsky.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

I just don't see any realistic trade right now that would drastically improve the Wings.  Any decent asset we have needs to be kept because there are so few.  The dead weight we'd like to get rid of won't get us anything in return.  We couldn't even get anyone to take them for free on waivers.  I hate to see Datsyuk and Zetterberg saddled with such a horrible team around them, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.  I think the Wings best bet is to let all the UFA's go at the end of the season, give all the young players regular ice time and roll the dice with them for next year.  Most of the UFA's that are out there from other teams are usually way overpriced and rarely worth the contracts they command and are past their prime.

I disagree.  The fact that we would rather not move certain assets doesn't necessarily mean that we wouldn't be better off if we did.  It's KH's reluctance to move any homegrown assets with potential that makes meaningful trades impossible.  You'll obviously never make an impact trade if you immediately take all your prospects, high picks, and young talent off the table from the get go. 

Look at this Del Zotto trade.  Holland would never EVER have made that trade.  Del Zotto was a young, homegrown talent with upside.  He's very much like Smith in that regard.  If you're completely unwilling to make a move because a guy has potential then you're never going to get a return worth a damn.  It's their potential that makes them valuable in the first place. 

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

I made my move last June...from Detroit to Hart... :lol:

anyway, I still maintain that the ONLY team that would have ANY interest in Franzen would be Vancouver.  The contract albatross would have to be partly footed by Detroit though.  If he cannot get healthy enough to play, then he needs to retire or get bought out.

Quincey, Kindl and Almqvist are defensemen that all could and possibly will be moved if the right deal came along.  Other prospects that I would entertain moving would be Ferraro, Pulkkinen, Aubry, Coetzee, Parkes, Fournier and Nestrasil.  The two of those guys I would be reluctant to move is Ferraro and Pulkkinen, but in order to get something you need to give up something.  I could only imagine what a package of Franzen, Almqvist and our 1st round pick would garner us in return from Vancouver.  I know Holland has always been interested in Edler, but he has a pretty expensive contract considering and if the Wings had to retain some of Franzen's salary it would pretty tough to make the deal this season.

Some players I would be interested in:

VAN: Burrows, Booth, Edler. 

FLA: Boyes, Kulikov, Jovo.

CGY: Stepniak, Cammalleri.

EDM: Smyth, Hall, Yakupov

BUF: Moulson, Ott, Erhoff, Myers, Ryan Miller

WPG: Wheeler, Ladd, Bogo, Byfuglien, Seto

CAR: Malhotra, Lyles

NYI: Vanek, Visnovsky (speaking of NYI, :lol: they are still paying Alexi Yashin a salary...sheesh)

...those are just from some of the teams that are further out of the playoffs than us(minus VAN.)  OF course there would be players I would take from other teams (Weber, B. Richards, Girardi, Stastny, Yandle) but I don't think those guys will actually get moved before summer, or I should say, I would be surprised if they are, because ANYTHING is possible...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#31 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

BTW, did anyone else think this thread would be about dating advice?

Meh - after nearly 10 years of marriage, and 3 kids I'm officially in the lobotomized category.

I definitely have noticed that.  On the one hand we never make any of the s***ty trades we're rumored to be making, on the other hand we never make any good ones either.  The closest we ever get is "the Red Wings are taking to GM whomever but nothing is imminent".  At least this level of ambiguity allows me to dream of something better than lame-ass Ales Hemsky.

In Hemsky's defense - he's on 'lame-ass' Edmonton.

Now - with all that said...He could possibly flourish in Detroit, but then again I thought the same about Weiss, and Alfredsson.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#32 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

I think there would be a lot of interest to a contending team for abdelkader

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Meh - after nearly 10 years of marriage, and 3 kids I'm officially in the lobotomized category.

In Hemsky's defense - he's on 'lame-ass' Edmonton.

Now - with all that said...He could possibly flourish in Detroit, but then again I thought the same about Weiss, and Alfredsson.

Hemsky's not a bad player.  He's just a more experienced version of Nyquist...they play EXACTLY the same game. 

I personally don't think we need another guy like that.  Actually, I don't think we need all the ones we've already got...let alone anymore of them.  I want a shooter...with size...and speed.  Not a playmaking Euro who wants to pass all the time. 

#34 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

They didn't pass on Ryan, the Sens had more to offer

Hemsky's not a bad player.  He's just a more experienced version of Nyquist...they play EXACTLY the same game. 

I personally don't think we need another guy like that.  Actually, I don't think we need all the ones we've already got...let alone anymore of them.  I want a shooter...with size...and speed.  Not a playmaking Euro who wants to pass all the time. 

Hemsky is an injury prone version of Nyquist, and in another year or two I think Nyquist will be better.  I do not want Hemsky.

I'm not in favor of moving Abdelkader either.  They need more size up front, trading him isn't going to fix that.

Edited by DickieDunn, 23 January 2014 - 12:14 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#35 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

I would first see if the Flyers want Cleary.  I would then offer them Cleary for a 6th round pick.

I would get the Oilers on the phone and offer them Quincey for a 3rd round pick and a Swingline stapeler.

I would call Florida and ask them if they want Kindl, and when they say yes, I would trade him.

Andersson would be on the trading block.  Tuzzi would be as well just for s***s and giggles.

After that is done and guys have new homes, I would keep Sheahan and Jurco on the team and we'd stay in games and compete right to the end just like against the Hawks.  Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar is the future.  Tuzzi and Cleary making Helm a minus player in a game is the past.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#36 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

I see that Boston are after a LH D and Quincey's name has been linked to the Bruins.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#37 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I see that Boston are after a LH D and Quincey's name has been linked to the Bruins.

Quincey for Rielly Smith? Quincey for Torey Krug? Nvm I'm drunk.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

They didn't pass on Ryan, the Sens had more to offer

Hemsky is an injury prone version of Nyquist, and in another year or two I think Nyquist will be better.  I do not want Hemsky.

I'm not in favor of moving Abdelkader either.  They need more size up front, trading him isn't going to fix that.

I don't want to move Abby either, and I don't think that they will.  But I wouldn't say he's untouchable either.  He's a guy with value that another team might want.  And it's not like he's so good that he's irreplaceable.  It's sort of a truism to say that "for the right price I'd move him" because that's true of almost anyone, but if Abby was the deciding factor between us getting a power foward or not, I'd move him.

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Quincey for Iginla...

Kindl, Almqvist, Ferraro, 2nd for Brad Boyes and Kulikov, Jovo

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#40 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Seriously?

No reason to consider salary implications ... or the other teams for that matter.