Photo
- - - - -

So when would you make a move and what type?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#121 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

They do need scoring, but, at the same time, that's part of their identity. The only truly big name goal-scorer I can remember ever playing for the Preds is Paul Kariya. They brought in that Swedish guy from the Blackhawks this past summer with the expectation that he'd be one of their better forwards. I want to believe they'd jump at the chance to have a couple of our non-Nugent-Hopkins roster players (plus a great prospect or two, and a first, and the Ark of the Covenant), especially considering how well they know us. Probably not, but maybe.

His contract and durability are legitimate concerns, but I just feel like...come on. It's Shea Weber. On our team. For the rest of his career. There are worse things that could happen to us. Sure, I'd prefer two seven-million dollar defensemen, but that's even more unlikely than landing Weber.

Mind you, I'm not saying I disagree with anything you said. I don't. We're very much of the same mind on this.

I think if there is anyone worth the risk who's legitimately available, it's Weber.  The Wings are in a position now where they have to take risks.  Like the previous poster mentioned, the Wings never really had to make big trades before, because we always had a competitive team, and it just need tweeking. I'm still not holding my breath that it'll happen, but I think it'd be well worth a few prospects.  I think a top 2 defenseman would make a world of difference.  

While it would seem like it would take a King's ransom to get him, I'm always surprised when a "star" player is traded.  My first thought is always "that's it?  That's all they got for him?"   So it may not take as much as we think.  I guess it all depends on how much the Preds want to shed the salary.  Last I checked, they weren't in the playoffs, so they might be thinking we can miss the playoffs without having to pay this big salary.  I also am not as schooled on our prospects that many here are.  I don't know how they are valued around the league.  What would everyone talk about if we got a big tough Canadian defenseman in his prime?  I don't think we'll ever find out, but an interesting thought  ;)

#122 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Just some of the rumors I have read at one point or another this past week.

ED looking for D.

Col looking for D

Boston looking for D, let one rumor had them willing to move McQuaid.

Wash looking for D, maybe looking to move Green-money dump

Pho looking for O

STL looking for a G-Miller?

Ott looking for scoring-Moulson?

Feb 28 and Col moving O'Reilly? Doubt it, but if.........I know water under the bridge......

O'Reilly would be awesome here. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#123 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I am going to be one of the first to have it written down.  This summer, Ken Holland will pursue and most likely attain the services of Shea Weber.  Nashville didn't like that contract to begin with and they are really riding the bottom of the NHL and will look for a new direction.  Babcock will spend the Olympics schmoozing Weber and talking up the direction of the Red Wings, and when the Wings make the playoffs for the 23rd straight season this will solidify Weber's decision to want to come to Detroit.  The price will be hefty, but it will involve our 1st round pick this season to give Nashville TWO picks in the top 17.  It may include some guys that we do not want to lose, but for Weber, the price is worth it...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#124 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

I am going to be one of the first to have it written down.  This summer, Ken Holland will pursue and most likely attain the services of Shea Weber.  Nashville didn't like that contract to begin with and they are really riding the bottom of the NHL and will look for a new direction.  Babcock will spend the Olympics schmoozing Weber and talking up the direction of the Red Wings, and when the Wings make the playoffs for the 23rd straight season this will solidify Weber's decision to want to come to Detroit.  The price will be hefty, but it will involve our 1st round pick this season to give Nashville TWO picks in the top 17.  It may include some guys that we do not want to lose, but for Weber, the price is worth it...

You're off your rocker man, but I do appreciate your enthusiasm. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#125 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

just wanted to get it written down...Nashville trading Weber is already being tossed around the media, why not Detroit?

http://www.thehockey...rprise-you.html

Edited by LeftWinger, 27 January 2014 - 02:08 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#126 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

The article above is from November.

#127 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

How do you guys feel about Ekman-Larsson? I don't know how we'd do it but I'd love to get him here.

#128 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

:lol: now that I look at it, it's actually from October.  But hey, if they were mentioning it at the start of the season, just think how much they may entertain the idea now!!!  Preds are bottom dwelling the NHL and with the return Weber could bring, they could have a nice group of players/picks to start that climb back up.  They could re-build their D around Jones...

I am just saying, if Nashville is selling, I hope Holland is the buyer!

www.thinkdunes.com

#129 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

On one hand., Weber is really the only star they have.

On the other, he could bring a lot back, and if they get the right prospects it could work out pretty well for them

Kindl, a D prospect, and a young forward.  I'd do it.

How do you guys feel about Ekman-Larsson? I don't know how we'd do it but I'd love to get him here.

Great player, not getting traded.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#130 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

if that is all it took, I would be super happy! But since Philly was willing to give up 4 first round picks for him when the signed the RFA contract, it just may take more...

Kindl, Almqvist, Andersson, Nyquist our 1st in 2014.  If that was the price, I would still do it.

...although I am liking Nyquist, but it would take a HIGH prospect for sure and if I am keeping two of Jurco, Tatar or Nyquist...sorry Nyq.

:lol: although this type of deal may pee off the remaining Swede's.  Waive Sammy, trade Almqvist, Nyquist AND Andersson? wow, Henrik wouldn't be too happy with Kenny...

www.thinkdunes.com

#131 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not gonna happen...This move would take balls on Holland's behalf...We'll see Holland re-sign some useless plug rather than make some drastic move like this.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#132 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

it's my belief that this off season Holland NEEDS to show he has a set or his fine standing reputation in this organization will start its downward spiral...

www.thinkdunes.com

#133 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

if that is all it took, I would be super happy! But since Philly was willing to give up 4 first round picks for him when the signed the RFA contract, it just may take more...

Kindl, Almqvist, Andersson, Nyquist our 1st in 2014.  If that was the price, I would still do it.

...although I am liking Nyquist, but it would take a HIGH prospect for sure and if I am keeping two of Jurco, Tatar or Nyquist...sorry Nyq.

:lol: although this type of deal may pee off the remaining Swede's.  Waive Sammy, trade Almqvist, Nyquist AND Andersson? wow, Henrik wouldn't be too happy with Kenny...

I don't think that would be enough.  4/5 D, 2nd line winger, border line NHL prospect who is small, a 4th line center, and a 1st.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#134 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I don't think a budget team like Nashville is going to cough up 28 million for 2 years of the new contract and then deal Weber.  It just doesn't make sense.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#135 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

While I like Weber, I don't think we need to go that big. yes we need a RHed Dman that is good on both ends of the ice. There are others that would fit the bill and provide what we need for far less of a cost. In my perfect world John carlsson of wash would be picked up to pair with Dekeyser. they would form our top pair for the next 10 years, allowing Kronwall and Ericsson to be the second pair, which they are better suited for. Now carlsson isn't going to be much cheaper than Weber. So is there anyone else that could be had during this season that can help and fit the same/similar mold? yes. Petry with the Oilers would be my target. he is 6-3/195 26 years old, from Michigan, RHed and has produced in the past. Kindl + a forward prospect might get it done. yes it is a little riskier and his ceiling isn't as high as Weber and carlsson. But him paired with Dekeyser could be very very good.

#136 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

I don't think a budget team like Nashville is going to cough up 28 million for 2 years of the new contract and then deal Weber.  It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too.  The amount of money they've invested in him keeps him there for a while, and the amount of money we'd have to pay him (including his bonuses) means we don't go get him.  There is no way we trade for a guy that makes more than Dats or Z.  Just not happening.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#137 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Think the only way Weber gets traded is if he asks for one

#138 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

While I like Weber, I don't think we need to go that big. yes we need a RHed Dman that is good on both ends of the ice. There are others that would fit the bill and provide what we need for far less of a cost. In my perfect world John carlsson of wash would be picked up to pair with Dekeyser. they would form our top pair for the next 10 years, allowing Kronwall and Ericsson to be the second pair, which they are better suited for. Now carlsson isn't going to be much cheaper than Weber. So is there anyone else that could be had during this season that can help and fit the same/similar mold? yes. Petry with the Oilers would be my target. he is 6-3/195 26 years old, from Michigan, RHed and has produced in the past. Kindl + a forward prospect might get it done. yes it is a little riskier and his ceiling isn't as high as Weber and carlsson. But him paired with Dekeyser could be very very good.

If we go after any Dman from the Oilers, it should be Ference to play on the 3rd pairing with Lashoff as a shot blocking tandem.  Like I mentioned in the line thread, trading Kindl to the Jets for Stuart, Ference would be along the same lines as Stuart as a pure shutdown guy, but Stuart is tougher and blocks even more shots.  I would go for one of them as a rental on D and then try to re-sign if we don't bring up one of Ouellet, Marchenko or Sproul next year.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#139 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Watching the Canucks Oilers game right now and in the intermission they said Ladd might be available from Winnipeg.  He'd be a guy who i think would be a good fit here.

#140 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

I feel like we don't have a lot of leverage to get any type of super star, top pairing D.  We don't have enough for Weber, maybe we stretch to get Carlson, and I want Bogosian, but he just re-signed.

I wish we could give a team a draft pick and retain some salary if they would take part of Sammy's contract off our books so we could actually make a move.

I don't see us trading for any forwards with number of contracts we already have and how the Griffins have acquitted themselves in the NHL.  At the same time, guys like Tatar and Nyquist haven't really played that much, so while we might love their potential and appreciate what they have and can do, we definitely inflate their value as Wings fans - remember they aren't big guys.  I bet other teams would value Mantha higher than both of them.

Sooooo... Do you trade Mantha, Kindl, Andersson, etc... stop... We keep Mantha

I would trade Kindl, Andersson (Sheahan and Glendening are both better), Eaves, and Quincey, but they aren't really assets.  What are they really worth unless another team is really trying to drop salary in a major way. And If it was between Jurco, Nyquist, and Tatar I would also trade Nyquist, but I don't see us doing that either.