• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Wings need 21 wins out of 32 games to make the playoffs.  It's widely accepted that you need around 95 points, 21 wins is 42 points.  Wings are currently at 54 points.

So 21 games out of 32, that's a 65% win record.  Unless Wings start pulling off consecutive stretches of wins, we're not going to make it.

The east is terrible this year. I'm thinking it will be one of those 88 point 8th seed years. So that's a solid 17-15 record. Or if you'd like 13-11-8. Nice .530 hockey.

#22 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Like I have been saying. When were heathy we have one of the best lineups. This depends if Howard plays like Howard. Or if he plays like crap

Or maybe instead of riding Howard we have a more even split with Gus who isn't necessarily out playing Howard as much as he is coming out with the wins.... same team, completely different records

#23 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Alfie might be back Friday?  I thought he hadn't even started skating yet...as of Monday that's what Mick said, no?

I believe it is Andersson not Alfie who has yet to start skating.

Posted Image

#24 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

I believe it is Andersson not Alfie who has yet to start skating.

Last update I saw was back on Monday.  Alfie was just getting better enough to start working out again but hadn't resumed skating.  Estimated at the time that he might be able to in a few days & would need a couple of practices before getting back in the lineup.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

soooo back to GR riley?

Exactly what I was thinking.  This team always has a glaring weakness in guys like Cleary and Tuzzi.  if we sent them down and kept the likes of Jurco and Sheahan up, this team could compete with anyone in the league.  Imagine this lineup with Dats and Alfie back with Tuzzi and Cleary not on board:

Nyquis-Dats-Z

Alfie-Helm-Franzen

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Eaves-Glendening-Miller

Now that's a turning point for the DRW.  When they ice the BEST lineup that they can.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#26 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.  This team always has a glaring weakness in guys like Cleary and Tuzzi.  if we sent them down and kept the likes of Jurco and Sheahan up, this team could compete with anyone in the league.  Imagine this lineup with Dats and Alfie back with Tuzzi and Cleary not on board:

Nyquis-Dats-Z
Alfie-Helm-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Eaves-Glendening-Miller

Now that's a turning point for the DRW.  When they ice the BEST lineup that they can.

IMO the best line up which won't happen because of restrictions and other management details would look more like this

Zetterberg Datsyuk franzen

Alfie Weiss Nyquist

Jurco helm Tatar

Abby Sheahan/ glendening miller.

Anyways that would be my line up. Pretty much a rockstar top 9. Allowing Abby to switch to a 2nd or 3rd line roll if more grit is needed. Anyways won't happen cause jurco, sheahan and glendenning will be sent down.
Posted Image

#27 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

One game doesn't make up for 40+ others
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#28 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

IMO the best line up which won't happen because of restrictions and other management details would look more like this

Alfie Weiss Nyquist

Jurco helm Tatar

Anyways that would be my line up. Pretty much a rockstar top 9. Allowing Abby to switch to a 2nd or 3rd line roll if more grit is needed. Anyways won't happen cause jurco, sheahan and glendenning will be sent down.

I'd really like to see us roll a Z-D-Mule line for an extended time. But it's hard to do that unless Weiss steps up as 2nd line C when he returns. 

Lots of interesting ways to put this team together though. For example: 

Franzen-Z-Nyquist

Jurco-Dats-Alfie

Abdelkader-Helm-Tatar

Miller-Sheahan-Glendening

That would be a very deep lineup with 3 lines that could really do some damage, and a 4th line that would be defensively responsible as well as potentially good at grinding out some goals. 

What's really promising about our lineup going forward is that we several good 'blocks' to build with. Jurco-Shehan-Tatar? Chemistry. Nyquist-Tatar? Chemistry. Franzen and Nyquist. Dats and Z. Alfie and Helm. Possibly even Miller+Eaves+Glendening if last night is anything to go by. The only odd man out is Weiss. Ideally he and Franzen or Nyquist/Tatar would hit it off. 

#29 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Nyquis-Dats-Z

Alfie-Helm-Franzen

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Eaves-Glendening-Miller

I get the Cleary hate... well kind of anyway, but what is wrong with having Bertuzzi as a big body? Keep  him around for the rest of the year, he's not as detrimental as LGW makes him out to be. When the contract ends late June, let him retire as a Wing. Cleary should not come back and Samuelsson likely wont. In my opinion, our guys need to get stronger on the puck and learn how to finish. Then we'll be back near the top of division where we belong. 

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I get the Cleary hate... well kind of anyway, but what is wrong with having Bertuzzi as a big body? Keep  him around for the rest of the year, he's not as detrimental as LGW makes him out to be. When the contract ends late June, let him retire as a Wing. Cleary should not come back and Samuelsson likely wont. In my opinion, our guys need to get stronger on the puck and learn how to finish. Then we'll be back near the top of division where we belong. 

Bert doesn't back check for s***. He is very weak defensively because he doesn't work hard. When he is out with Z or Dats it doesn't show much but when he plays with Andersson or Sheahan it shows and they get pinned in the zone for long stretches. 

#31 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Only if we ride the Monster till he slumps and not try to 'get Howie going' experiment? We don't have much more time to do that, we've got to fight for a playoff spot. Get into the playoffs and if Gus falters, then go with Howie cuz by then, Howie will be awoken from his slumber.

I'm going to guess that you didn't actually watch the game last night.

Monster fought the puck all night ... it was like he couldn't even see it and had no idea where it was virtually all game long.

#32 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

I think the "turning point" discussion is a little premature. A couple solid games (even if they were losses) and a SO win doesn't somehow change the things that are fundamentally wrong with the team this season. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#33 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

One game doesn't make up for 40+ others

This.

I think the "turning point" discussion is a little premature. A couple solid games (even if they were losses) and a SO win doesn't somehow change the things that are fundamentally wrong with the team this season. 

And this.

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

This.

And this.

You're right, one game doesn't mean it's a turning point.  However, I think the actual turning point was right around the Winter Classic.  We've lost 5 times since that game and won four.  We beat REALLY good teams in Chicago and Los Angeles(twice), and played very well against the Rangers, Ducks, and Maple Leafs (all one goal games).  We had two terrible games against San Jose and St. Louis.  Additionally, since the WC Jimmy Howard seems to have regained (and hopefully not lost to injury again) his dominant form, and Tatar and Zetterberg have carried the team. 

Add some combination of Dats, Franzen, Helm, or Alfie to any of those one goal games and we probably win a couple of them and our record could very easily be 6-3.  Not too shabby when you consider that Chicago, LA, St. Louis, San Jose, and Anaheim are probably 5 of the top 7 or 8 teams in the league while Toronto and the Rangers are playoff teams as well. 

People freak because all they see are the tight standings, but we're actually playing some pretty good hockey in spite of having a farm team.

Edited by kipwinger, 23 January 2014 - 04:38 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

You're right, one game doesn't mean it's a turning point.  However, I think the actual turning point was right around the Winter Classic.  We've lost 5 times since that game and won four.  We beat REALLY good teams in Chicago and Los Angeles(twice), and played very well against the Rangers, Ducks, and Maple Leafs (all one goal games).  We had two terrible games against San Jose and St. Louis.  Additionally, since the WC Jimmy Howard seems to have regained (and hopefully not lost to injury again) his dominant form, and Tatar and Zetterberg have carried the team. 

Add some combination of Dats, Franzen, Helm, or Alfie to any of those one goal games and we probably win a couple of them and our record could very easily be 6-3.  Not too shabby when you consider that Chicago, LA, St. Louis, San Jose, and Anaheim are probably 5 of the top 7 or 8 teams in the league while Toronto and the Rangers are playoff teams as well. 

People freak because all they see are the tight standings, but we're actually playing some pretty good hockey in spite of having a farm team.

Fair points. And I agree that we have played well in January aside from the two games especially when you consider who isn't playing.

But to continue this "trending upwards" track, they need to win these next 2 games in my opinion. You can't be capable of playing like that against Chicago, then lose to Montreal and Florida. Montreal is a decent team, but they need to be beaten at The Joe.

Tomas Kopecky and friends need to stop, inexplicably, having our number. That doesn't make sense and is inexcusable.  

#36 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Only if we ride the Monster till he slumps and not try to 'get Howie going' experiment?  We don't have much more time to do that, we've got to fight for a playoff spot.  Get into the playoffs and if Gus falters, then go with Howie cuz by then, Howie will be awoken from his slumber.   

Uhh what are you smoking? Gus looked pretty bad last night especially compared to Howards play since the turn of the year. In 8 games hes played since New Years Howards GAA is 2.0. He cant be doing much more to help this team win right now. If the Wings were scoring 3+ goals a game in that time you could blame Howard but they average under 2 in that same time period. Remember this isnt 9-0 Gus from the beginning of the year that you put in because "hes getting wins". In his past 8 games hes only 4-4 with a GAA around 3.25 and most of those games were before the Wings offence was completely decimated with injury. Gus is down from his hot streak at the beginning of the year and is back more to how hes played over his career. If the Wings are relying on him to get them to the postseason then they are in bigger trouble than they are now with injuries. Babs has said it publicly that this team only goes as far as Jimmy takes them and hes correct in that. 

As for this being a turning point? It could be. Only if the WIngs can somehow turn this into a good run before the Olympics. Theyve had chances for turning points already this year but have failed to bring them to anything.

#37 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I think we're definitely trending upwards.  Seen some very positive things recently. Not just the Hawks game.

Some people want to focus on the failures from the first 40.  I'm going to focus on the opportunities coming from the next 40.

I believe in these guys.  

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#38 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

I think we're definitely trending upwards.  Seen some very positive things recently. Not just the Hawks game.

Some people want to focus on the failures from the first 40.  I'm going to focus on the opportunities coming from the next 40.

I believe in these guys.  

They have been much more consistent lately, Howard as well. Too bad he had another injury but hopefully it won't affect him when he gets back soon.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Alfie Weiss Nyquist

Jurco helm Tatar

I guess once Weiss is healthy yes. I like that lineup.

Cause as much as I've always been a fan of Tuzzi, he's too slow and not producing worth a damn and his penalties are the s***s. If you can't keep up and all you do is hook guys then you're useless. Keep Sheahan and Jurco....they're big bodies that produce.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#40 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

The kids have a lot of talent, but kids by nature tend to be inconsistent.  Part of that is a lack of experience of what it takes, part of it is that they tend to become frustrated easier, and part is a general lack of maturity.  That's why we're seeing up and down efforts right now.  They'll all get their chance.

Then you have Bertuzzi and Cleary.  Bertuzzi looks like he's playing out the string, Cleary has the heart but not the body.  Give Bertuzzi Cleary's effort and you have a pretty good player, but the way they are now they're just two broken pieces.

Cleary should be send down, or just plain decide to retire, but I doubt either of those happens.  Bertuzzi and Samuelsson should also be sent down, but because of the 35+ rule I don't think it's possible because they wouldn't clear out the cap space to replace them.

The only way to get experience is to get experience.  These prospects deserve more of a chance to show what they can do than the Wings tend to give them.  Holland would rather "overbuild" his roster and try to get rid of a guy or two, than to leave a spot or two open and motivate a younger player to step up and make the NHL, even if for only a while.  This lets the Wings know what they truly have coming up the pipeline and it lets the prospects see firsthand what they have to do to be successful at the top level.  The way it is now, most of the younger guys have little to no NHL experience by the time they run out of waiver options.  They're forced to sink or swim, but nobody told them how strong the current was...

Yes, there are a lot of young players in the lineup right now, most without much experience.  But there are still a lot of veterans playing, too.  The inconsistency is club-wide, not just the youth.  Inconsistent and erratic is what this team is.  It's been this way for the last 2 years.