• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Whom to blame for this goal? A referee or the goalie?

Rate this topic

I'm sure we'll get some debate over this one. Was this the netminder's fault or the officials who didn't check to see if he was ready to play before dropping the puck?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meZfDTD_3KQ

The Denver University Pioneers' club hockey team beat ACHA rivals Utah State University on Friday, January 17, thanks to a a shorthanded, 200-foot overtime goal from defenseman Robert Biedron. Utah State goalie Keegan McHenry was chatting with fans in the corner when the linesman dropped the puck, so Biedron fired it the length of the ice and scored to win the game.

As the guy who's about to take the faceoff, I always check if my goalie is ready before I step in. However, that only works up to a point since the ref CAN drop the puck without you in there if he thinks you're sandbagging!

Couldn't find the video, but I've seen a clip where the ref drops the puck and only 1 team has their centermen ready to take the draw. It was basically the easiest FO win ever and I'm pretty sure it was in the NHL.

Point is, It's not the centermens fault, or the refs fault. It's 100% on the goalie. It's not the refs job to get your centermen to the faceoff dot, or to make sure your goalie is paying attention. He's dropping it when he's dropping it and everyone has to be ready to go. Smart play by the winning team.