• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FifeHockeyNut

Sammy Waived

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if Sammy was waived so late so that another team could take on the rest of his salary which would be around 1.2M for the rest of the season? Of course this waiver was to create a roster spot above all.

I think Sammy was the scapegoat a lot. He IMO isn't even the worst player on the team but it would take some kind of miracle for him to get out of Babcocks doghouse.

Are you kidding me?? He has been given the opportunity again and again without anything to show for it. He has absolutely beenthe worst player on the roster imo.

And so draws to an end the Mikael Samuelsson era, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

To all those thinking he'll not report to GR and will retire - dream on. All the guy has to do is ride buses for 3 months and he picks up another $1.5M

What an absolutely brutal contract.

2 years?? Why Kenny, why?

$3M per year? ?? Why Kenny, why?

NTC?? Why Kenny why?

Why could you not give a 35 year old with no leverage, a 1 year contract for $1.5M and no NTC????? Its not like you were in a bidding war for the guys services!!!

I realize that players cannot remain the same throughout their careers. Injuries and age catches up to them. But this was the right decision and a bit overdue. I thank Sammy for all he has done, but this team has passed him by and there is no spot for him here. Good luck.

And so draws to an end the Mikael Samuelsson era, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

You kidding me? This is the happiest the fanbase has been in years!

I read somewhere that the Bruins had an interest in Quincey, maybe we can get them to take Sam with him?

You heard somewhere that the Boston Bruins are interested in Kyle Quincey?

@DarrenDreger: O'Brien and Samuelsson cleared Waivers.

Am I right in thinking his options now would be to report to GR or retire?

He should go straight to the ECHL to not impede the development of a future Red Wing. Or retire, that would be nice. Though if he retires, does anyone know the cap implications?

Hopefully he doesn't report, Im not sure he brings any value to the Griffs, instead he makes a more deserving veteran to sit. Hopefully he is perpetually scratched!

Edited by cnot19

He should go straight to the ECHL to not impede the development of a future Red Wing. Or retire, that would be nice. Though if he retires, does anyone know the cap implications?

As he was over 35 when he signed the contract we would be on the hook for at least some of his salary. I think the full amount? So it's better for us (£100k better) if he reports to GR or as you suggested Toledo. If this is wrong then please correct me, I just got the hang of the old CBA lol.

He won't even play that many games for Grand Rapids due to the veteran rule in the AHL. The Griffins already have to rotate their vets so it wouldn't surprise me if he barely played. As Grand Rapids are one of the best AHL teams, it's not like they need him.

When a few of the young guns return to GR from the Wings there is not a single forward I would take out of the line up for Sammy.

Sad to see things end like this, because IMO his last stint with the Wings was good. But yea, bad decision by Holland. At least he's done something about it now.

I'm hoping that KH actually tries to shift someone at the deadline to clear some space out. Maybe Tootoo? I don't want to see him get traded, he would be in my lineup, but as he doesn't seem to be in favour with Babcock we could do with the space. Most of the ppl here would like to see Kindl moved but I would keep him around. Call me crazy if you will, but he's made strides with his game the last two years. Much more pro-active with offensive transition, more confidence carrying the puck up the ice and leading the rush at times. And every Wings defensemen has made bone headed plays this year, so it'd be unfair to call him out for that. Just saying', I wouldn't move him. Andersson? Probably.