• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

1/26 GDT: Panthers 5 @ Red Wings 4 (SO)

Rate this topic

As much as I like Ouellet and hate Quincey as a Red Wings defenseman (not a person. He actually seems like a really good guy), I wouldn't expect much of a difference from that trade off. If anything, I could see it being worse. XO's a stud, a future top-four defenseman in this league - but he's also a first-year AHLer. If he's gonna be in the top four (especially in high-pressure, high-stakes situations like tonight's third period, where the opposition is pressing relentlessly and forcing turnovers in our zone), I'd want him partnered with, well, Shea Weber.

I'd say the real difference tonight was probably Brian Campbell. It wasn't necessarily obvious, but he really beared down in the third, quarterbacked the comeback. I wonder how much his familiarity with the Wings has helped the Panthers against us this season.

XO has something that Quincey doesn't. Poise.

Guest mjtm77

Cleary ~ 51 games ~ 4 goals ~ 4 assists ~ 8 points ~ minus 9 rating

Sheahan ~ 12 games ~ 3 goals ~ 5 assists ~ 8 points ~ plus 3 rating (no penalties in 12 games)

Babcock keeps saying the players dictate who plays, who gets the ice time. If that is true, then I guess the players know who is going down to GR.or do they? Would sending Cleary down not free up enough cap space to keep Sheahan up? If so, then the decision is very simple.

Your right it is verry simple. Cleary stays he has a no movement

Lots of good to take from this game. I don't think the 3rd period collapse was due to the old problems of 'we stopped playing' or similar. We simply have Franzen, Helm and Alfie who all have just come back from injury and look like they haven't quite gotten their legs back. They looked very tired. Gustavsson had a backup-goalie like performance, which is what can be expected from a backup-goalie. And we still should have won it. A wrongfully disallowed goal, inches away from winning in OT despite a missed 4-minute penalty, and a coin-toss shootout loss is not worrying to me.

This is starting to look like a team. We're producing offense from everywhere.

And we're only 3 points back from 3rd in the division, with 2 games in hand. Pav should be close. Z is hopefully not out long. We're going to be fine.

We keep blowing third-period leads and, ultimately, games. That's in no way a good thing. That's what I'm saying.

I agree with everything you're saying. We're looking like a team. We're generating offense. Our youth is shining. We'll make the playoffs. But we can't be ok with continuing to collapse and blow two-goal leads. We can't be ok with not sealing the deal. We can't be ok with not beating teams we should beat. It's been an issue all season, and it looks like it continues to be an issue. That's frustrating, troubling.

Edited by Dabura

Had to watch the game on DVR. Can't believe they dropped that one to the frigging panthers. I gotta say Babcock looks like a moron putting 4 forwards out there on the power play with just a few minutes left and a lead. Guys on the ice have some fault there too. Conservative was the way to go. Of course Florida was going to be jumping all over any shorthanded chance they had that late and behind. All Detroit had to do was not give up a shorty and what do they do? Lose the game because of their own stupidity. What a waste of 4 goals.

I was at the game tonight. Tough loss obviously in what should have been an easy two points if the Wings stay focused down the stretch. Something about a two-goal lead at home in the third that this team can't figure out how to secure a win. I said it at the time that I knew the disallowed goal was going to haunt the Red Wings. Not to make excuses because they still were up two at that point, but I think the game is over if it becomes 4-1 there. That was a terrible call as was ignoring an obvious high stick to Tatar that would have given the Red Wings a 4-on-3 for nearly all of OT.

Despite that, I feel pretty positive about the home stand. Looking at those five games going in and you had to wonder where the Red Wings might get two wins against those opponents. Yet they managed seven of a possible ten points and played very well outside of the Blues game and the third period meltdown against the Panthers.

Riley Sheahan can absolutely not go back to Grand Rapids. Him and Tatar have a ton of chemistry. Sheahan is better than Andersson already, which is unfortunate because Sheahan is likely gone because of Holland's cap management. Jurco could probably afford going back to the minors the most out of the kids. Not that he hasn't been good, but Sheahan and Glendening just bring more to the team right now.

I also thought Brendan Smith had a very good game. Would prefer to see Smith and DeKeyser paired together. It's pretty clear whoever gets stuck with Quincey instantly struggles because it seems like even DeKeyser has made more errors of late.

Watching the Red Wings is actually very exciting right now. Didn't think that would be possible with so many injuries, but I'm very impressed with the impact guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Glendening are having to keep the Red Wings in playoff contention. It's still imperative to get Z, Pavel and Jimmy back very soon though. A lot of these close losses could easily turn into wins with the Wings three best players all out there together.

Edited by GoWings1905

getting sick of these china doll Swedes...its ridiculous.

You really can't possibly be calling Henrik Zetterberg soft? The guy has more heart and willpower than maybe anyone in the league. Without Z carrying this team for months, the Red Wings probably aren't sniffing anywhere near a playoff spot right now. He has been playing hurt and doing so at a very high level recently.

I'm all for being frustrated with injuries, but I don't think Henrik Zetterberg missing games has anything to do with being Swedish.

Edited by GoWings1905

Your right it is verry simple. Cleary stays he has a no movement

nope, just a NTC..if he`s such a good leader and mentor to the kids, I think his leadership might be better used in GR..up with the main team they already have Alfie, Z, Pav, Kronner who can all lead by example, not by being a motivational speaker

#RedWings Babcock: What we’re going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play.

#RedWings Babcock: It’s not going to have anything to do w/age, it’s just going to be what have you done lately. They’re pushing real hard.

#RedWings Babcock: Riley Sheahan, Tats, Jurco, that line was really good. I thought Helm was really good tonight, too. He had some jump.

I also thought Brendan Smith had a very good game. Would prefer to see Smith and DeKeyser paired together. It's pretty clear whoever gets stuck with Quincey instantly struggles because it seems like even DeKeyser has made more errors of late.

Quincey isn't as supportive as other dmen and turns the puck over a lot - many times DD has turned the puck over because Q didn't drop to give him an option

#RedWings Babcock: What we’re going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play.

#RedWings Babcock: It’s not going to have anything to do w/age, it’s just going to be what have you done lately. They’re pushing real hard.

#RedWings Babcock: Riley Sheahan, Tats, Jurco, that line was really good. I thought Helm was really good tonight, too. He had some jump.

i dont know if i can believe that

I really want to believe this, but I just can't fully until it happens when Z, Pavel and Andersson are back. I think Jurco is going to Grand Rapids first out of that group.

I hope that includes Danny boy..

So good they played less than a guy who was going to be scratched. They were the best line and were behind Franzen's line and Helm's line. I've been one of Babcock's supporters but it's ridiculous.

I really want to believe this, but I just can't fully until it happens when Z, Pavel and Andersson are back. I think Jurco is going to Grand Rapids first out of that group.

Andersson should go before Jurco does.

Helm, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Sheahan should be the four centers when everyone is healthy. Unless that will somehow be over the cap. Not sure.

Helm, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Sheahan should be the four centers when everyone is healthy. Unless that will somehow be over the cap. Not sure.

Andersson won't clear waivers and they're not going to lose him for nothing. It would be paste eating level stupid. I'm guess Glendening goes first.

I agree. Honestly, I don't even care if Andersson comes back, but the Red Wings probably won't lose him for nothing when Jurco and Glendening don't have to clear waivers. To me personally, Jurco still needs the most development in Grand Rapids. He can cut it in the NHL obviously, but I think Sheahan and Glendening contribute more with their skill sets right now. I would also prefer Sheahan stays up over Glendening.

Andersson won't clear waivers and they're not going to lose him for nothing. It would be paste eating level stupid. I'm guess Glendening goes first.

I didn't know Andersson would have to clear waivers. Can't they just make him a healthy scratch and wait until the next guy gets hurt (won't be long likely)?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Had to watch the game on DVR. Can't believe they dropped that one to the frigging panthers. I gotta say Babcock looks like a moron putting 4 forwards out there on the power play with just a few minutes left and a lead. Guys on the ice have some fault there too. Conservative was the way to go. Of course Florida was going to be jumping all over any shorthanded chance they had that late and behind. All Detroit had to do was not give up a shorty and what do they do? Lose the game because of their own stupidity. What a waste of 4 goals.

This. I'm not one of those keyboard warriors who think they know better than Babcock, but this is Coaching 101.

Hi notaWingsfanButaFinn here.

Anyone here think GR's Teemu Pulkkinen should be called up?.

i think he looks like Red Wings style player.

Teemu leads Griffins in Goals,Points,+/-,SOG (2nd in PP goals )

Ive always liked how he plays hockey,skates fast,likes to play physical

goes front of the net,doesn't fear blocking shots.

Teemu has tremendous slapshot,and good wrist shot,but

even thou he is label'd as a sniper,past few seasons he's

been more of a playmaker.