• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#421 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Pissed how they lost. Kid line was great but didn't play nearly enough. Cleary goes from scratched to a ton of ice time. Gustavsson is not that good. Ton of goals against lately. Happy with the last few games overall.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#422 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Cleary ~ 51 games ~ 4 goals ~ 4 assists ~ 8 points ~ minus 9 rating

Sheahan ~ 12 games ~ 3 goals ~ 5 assists ~ 8 points ~ plus 3 rating (no penalties in 12 games)

Babcock keeps saying the players dictate who plays, who gets the ice time.  If that is true, then I guess the players know who is going down to GR….or do they?  Would sending Cleary down not free up enough cap space to keep Sheahan up?  If so, then the decision is very simple.

It will be a cold day in Hell when Mike Babcock and Ken Holland decide to waive Dan Cleary.

#423 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

It will be a cold day in Hell when Mike Babcock and Ken Holland decide to waive Dan Cleary.

I'll grab my jacket and wait.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#424 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Give DeKeyser Ouellet in place of Quincey and our D is much different.

As much as I like Ouellet and hate Quincey as a Red Wings defenseman (not a person. He actually seems like a really good guy), I wouldn't expect much of a difference from that trade off. If anything, I could see it being worse. XO's a stud, a future top-four defenseman in this league - but he's also a first-year AHLer. If he's gonna be in the top four (especially in high-pressure, high-stakes situations like tonight's third period, where the opposition is pressing relentlessly and forcing turnovers in our zone), I'd want him partnered with, well, Shea Weber.

I'd say the real difference tonight was probably Brian Campbell. It wasn't necessarily obvious, but he really beared down in the third, quarterbacked the comeback. I wonder how much his familiarity with the Wings has helped the Panthers against us this season.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#425 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Cleary wearing the A in games this season speaks volumes how they feel about him as a player and locker room presence. He's gonna stick around at least for the remainder of this year, it's a reality that needs to be accepted. We as fans may not agree but the coaches and managers that run the team have their reasoning. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#426 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

As much as I like Ouellet and hate Quincey as a Red Wings defenseman (not a person. He actually seems like a really good guy), I wouldn't expect much of a difference from that trade off. If anything, I could see it being worse. XO's a stud, a future top-four defenseman in this league - but he's also a first-year AHLer. If he's gonna be in the top four (especially in high-pressure, high-stakes situations like tonight's third period, where the opposition is pressing relentlessly and forcing turnovers in our zone), I'd want him partnered with, well, Shea Weber.

I'd say the real difference tonight was probably Brian Campbell. It wasn't necessarily obvious, but he really beared down in the third, quarterbacked the comeback. I wonder how much his familiarity with the Wings has helped the Panthers against us this season.

XO has something that Quincey doesn't.  Poise.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#427 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Cleary ~ 51 games ~ 4 goals ~ 4 assists ~ 8 points ~ minus 9 rating
Sheahan ~ 12 games ~ 3 goals ~ 5 assists ~ 8 points ~ plus 3 rating (no penalties in 12 games)

Babcock keeps saying the players dictate who plays, who gets the ice time.  If that is true, then I guess the players know who is going down to GR.or do they?  Would sending Cleary down not free up enough cap space to keep Sheahan up?  If so, then the decision is very simple.

Your right it is verry simple. Cleary stays he has a no movement
Posted Image

#428 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

He can be sent down to GR.  Even with a NMC can he not also be claimed off waivers?

#429 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Lots of good to take from this game. I don't think the 3rd period collapse was due to the old problems of 'we stopped playing' or similar. We simply have Franzen, Helm and Alfie who all have just come back from injury and look like they haven't quite gotten their legs back. They looked very tired. Gustavsson had a backup-goalie like performance, which is what can be expected from a backup-goalie. And we still should have won it. A wrongfully disallowed goal, inches away from winning in OT despite a missed 4-minute penalty, and a coin-toss shootout loss is not worrying to me. 

This is starting to look like a team. We're producing offense from everywhere. 

And we're only 3 points back from 3rd in the division, with 2 games in hand. Pav should be close. Z is hopefully not out long. We're going to be fine. 

We keep blowing third-period leads and, ultimately, games. That's in no way a good thing. That's what I'm saying.

I agree with everything you're saying. We're looking like a team. We're generating offense. Our youth is shining. We'll make the playoffs. But we can't be ok with continuing to collapse and blow two-goal leads. We can't be ok with not sealing the deal. We can't be ok with not beating teams we should beat. It's been an issue all season, and it looks like it continues to be an issue. That's frustrating, troubling.

Edited by Dabura, 26 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#430 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

if Cleary is in another game, fire Babcock... They lose because once they get momentum and excitement they send Cleary out to slow it all down. Come on groin pull!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#431 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

Capgeek says Cleary has a NTC...nothing about a NMC

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 26 January 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#432 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Had to watch the game on DVR.  Can't believe they dropped that one to the frigging panthers.  I gotta say Babcock looks like a moron putting 4 forwards out there on the power play with just a few minutes left and a lead.  Guys on the ice have some fault there too.  Conservative was the way to go.  Of course Florida was going to be jumping all over any shorthanded chance they had that late and behind.  All Detroit had to do was not give up a shorty and what do they do?  Lose the game because of their own stupidity.  What a waste of 4 goals.

• Nev likes this

#433 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

I was at the game tonight. Tough loss obviously in what should have been an easy two points if the Wings stay focused down the stretch. Something about a two-goal lead at home in the third that this team can't figure out how to secure a win. I said it at the time that I knew the disallowed goal was going to haunt the Red Wings. Not to make excuses because they still were up two at that point, but I think the game is over if it becomes 4-1 there. That was a terrible call as was ignoring an obvious high stick to Tatar that would have given the Red Wings a 4-on-3 for nearly all of OT.

Despite that, I feel pretty positive about the home stand. Looking at those five games going in and you had to wonder where the Red Wings might get two wins against those opponents. Yet they managed seven of a possible ten points and played very well outside of the Blues game and the third period meltdown against the Panthers. 

Riley Sheahan can absolutely not go back to Grand Rapids. Him and Tatar have a ton of chemistry. Sheahan is better than Andersson already, which is unfortunate because Sheahan is likely gone because of Holland's cap management. Jurco could probably afford going back to the minors the most out of the kids. Not that he hasn't been good, but Sheahan and Glendening just bring more to the team right now. 

I also thought Brendan Smith had a very good game. Would prefer to see Smith and DeKeyser paired together. It's pretty clear whoever gets stuck with Quincey instantly struggles because it seems like even DeKeyser has made more errors of late. 

Watching the Red Wings is actually very exciting right now. Didn't think that would be possible with so many injuries, but I'm very impressed with the impact guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Glendening are having to keep the Red Wings in playoff contention. It's still imperative to get Z, Pavel and Jimmy back very soon though. A lot of these close losses could easily turn into wins with the Wings three best players all out there together. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 26 January 2014 - 10:14 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#434 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Our youngsters are so fun to watch that I don't care if we win or lose.

#435 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

getting sick of these china doll Swedes...its ridiculous.

You really can't possibly be calling Henrik Zetterberg soft? The guy has more heart and willpower than maybe anyone in the league. Without Z carrying this team for months, the Red Wings probably aren't sniffing anywhere near a playoff spot right now. He has been playing hurt and doing so at a very high level recently.

I'm all for being frustrated with injuries, but I don't think Henrik Zetterberg missing games has anything to do with being Swedish. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 26 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#436 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

nope, just a NTC..if he`s such a good leader and mentor to the kids, I think his leadership might be better used in GR..up with the main team they already have Alfie, Z, Pav, Kronner who can all lead by example, not by being a motivational speaker

#437 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

#RedWings Babcock: What we’re going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play.

#RedWings Babcock: It’s not going to have anything to do w/age, it’s just going to be what have you done lately. They’re pushing real hard.

#RedWings Babcock: Riley Sheahan, Tats, Jurco, that line was really good. I thought Helm was really good tonight, too. He had some jump.

#438 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

I also thought Brendan Smith had a very good game. Would prefer to see Smith and DeKeyser paired together. It's pretty clear whoever gets stuck with Quincey instantly struggles because it seems like even DeKeyser has made more errors of late. 

Quincey isn't as supportive as other dmen and turns the puck over a lot - many times DD has turned the puck over because Q didn't drop to give him an option

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#439 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

#RedWings Babcock: What we’re going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play.

#RedWings Babcock: It’s not going to have anything to do w/age, it’s just going to be what have you done lately. They’re pushing real hard.

#RedWings Babcock: Riley Sheahan, Tats, Jurco, that line was really good. I thought Helm was really good tonight, too. He had some jump.

i dont know if i can believe that

#440 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

I really want to believe this, but I just can't fully until it happens when Z, Pavel and Andersson are back. I think Jurco is going to Grand Rapids first out of that group.