• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Who Sits Next? Speculation Thread

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_babcock_the_best_guys_are.html

So right now Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Andersson, and Weiss are out but most likely all will be back after the Olympics.

Bert sat last night for Alfredsson and Sammy was waived for Franzen's return.

After the Olympics, there will be 3 players currently on the roster who will not be there. Here are some candidates to be sent down/waived:

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Tatar

Jurco

Glendening

Sheahan

As the article mentions, Bert and Cleary are struggling offensively and could be waived. Knowing Babs' man-crush for Cleary I am assuming that Danny Boy stays on the team (he has an 'A' on for God's sake!). Bert has struggled but I think he has a net-front presence that can't be easily replaced, even by Franzen.

So, at this point there is a hard decision to see who the "best guys" are. My picks to be sent down are Glendening (hate to see his grit go but they want goals), Jurco (similar to Tatar, not as productive as of late), and Sheahan (although he has played very good and the Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist combo was great against FLA). But barring an injury-free Wings team (HA!) these guys will get plenty more games this season.

Weiss has so little wiggle-room to fit into the offensive scheme it almost isn't fair. The young guys are playing like they have something to prove and are proving it. I think he could be the top trade-bait player (does he have an NTC/NMC?) if he doesn't produce immediately.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_babcock_the_best_guys_are.html

So right now Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Andersson, and Weiss are out but most likely all will be back after the Olympics.

Bert sat last night for Alfredsson and Sammy was waived for Franzen's return.

After the Olympics, there will be 3 players currently on the roster who will not be there. Here are some candidates to be sent down/waived:

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Tatar

Jurco

Glendening

Sheahan

As the article mentions, Bert and Cleary are struggling offensively and could be waived. Knowing Babs' man-crush for Cleary I am assuming that Danny Boy stays on the team (he has an 'A' on for God's sake!). Bert has struggled but I think he has a net-front presence that can't be easily replaced, even by Franzen.

So, at this point there is a hard decision to see who the "best guys" are. My picks to be sent down are Glendening (hate to see his grit go but they want goals), Jurco (similar to Tatar, not as productive as of late), and Sheahan (although he has played very good and the Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist combo was great against FLA). But barring an injury-free Wings team (HA!) these guys will get plenty more games this season.

Weiss has so little wiggle-room to fit into the offensive scheme it almost isn't fair. The young guys are playing like they have something to prove and are proving it. I think he could be the top trade-bait player (does he have an NTC/NMC?) if he doesn't produce immediately.

Weiss does have an NTC if I recall correctly.

Before Weiss comes off LTIR the Wings are going to have to clear a bunch of cap space somehow. The only way they can get cap compliant otherwise is to send Eaves, Cleary, Jurco, and Sheahan down and run with a 22 man active roster, with Bertuzzi and Glendening or Emmerton as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Weiss isn't going anywhere. If the Wings told him they wanted to move him, he'd probably waive the NTC as long as he wasn't being sent to a train wreck like Columbus or Calgary, but they'd get next to nothing back for him. As good as Sheahan has played, he's not a #2 center, and I'm not convinced that Helm is either, or that he can stay healthy.

Edited by DickieDunn

Weiss had a modified NTC and a NMC. Not quite sure what a modified NTC is, but my guess is he'd have to provide a list of teams. I donno if they're gonna get much value for the guy considering what his past year and a half has looked like, especially for how much he's making right now.

Weve scored 13 goals in 3 games with the kids steadily contributing. We havent scored that consistently in 2 years. I think babs realizes that and will sit those who arent producing regardless of age or status.

Bertuzzi's next..... Those who aren't producing should be sitting (That includes Howard)

Totally. Something no one has mentioned: he's on pace for a zero-point season. Zero goals, zero assists. And we're paying him how much money? smh. Amnesty buyout, without a doubt.

I remember several years ago the Yankees players were all going down with oblique injuries and eventually the team fired the trainer. And while I never advocate firing people, with all the injuries the past several years the training staff should be held partly responsible right? I mean not all the injuries have been bad luck injuries.

Getting back to the thread I think Jurco should be the next to sit, and if we get healthier then I would have no problem sending him to the AHL since I believe he could still benefit from more time down there.

Jurco will be sent down. He can get more ice time in GR anyway so it is not a big deal. Sheahan however should be a regular even with a healthy team. He has outplayed all the others including Andersson. Tatar should also have a spot.

The same can be said for Sheahan. IF everyone gets healthy he'd be the 4th C on the depth chart after Datsyuk, Weiss, and Helm. If he's only going to get 4th line minutes with Drew Miller and Eaves as wingers, he'd be better off in Grand Rapids.

Totally. Something no one has mentioned: he's on pace for a zero-point season. Zero goals, zero assists. And we're paying him how much money? smh. Amnesty buyout, without a doubt.

For a while, I realistically thought you were talking about Bertuzzi. Shows you how bad he's been.

:lol:

Weiss isn't going anywhere. If the Wings told him they wanted to move him, he'd probably waive the NTC as long as he wasn't being sent to a train wreck like Columbus or Calgary, but they'd get next to nothing back for him. As good as Sheahan has played, he's not a #2 center, and I'm not convinced that Helm is either, or that he can stay healthy.

Off topic - but Columbus is 1 point behind us - we have one game in hand, but they're in the playoff race, won 8 straight recently, and will get Gaborik back some time down the stretch. I think "train wreck" is misused. For Calgary it is fitting, though.

On topic - of Seahan, Jurco, and Glendening I think Jurco is the first to be sent down. Hopefully Sheahan and Tatar can keep the chemistry without Jurco. Maybe Abdelkader or even Franzen on the wing?

Also, Why is Tatar on that list of candidates to be waived/sent down? please take it off it disturbs me

Is Zetterberg more or less done until (after) the Olympics?

I hope not. I'm starting to suspect he and Datsyuk are too committed to the Olympic cause (being captains of their country) and are trying to rest a little before the grueling competition.

Off topic - but Columbus is 1 point behind us - we have one game in hand, but they're in the playoff race, won 8 straight recently, and will get Gaborik back some time down the stretch. I think "train wreck" is misused. For Calgary it is fitting, though.

On topic - of Seahan, Jurco, and Glendening I think Jurco is the first to be sent down. Hopefully Sheahan and Tatar can keep the chemistry without Jurco. Maybe Abdelkader or even Franzen on the wing?

Also, Why is Tatar on that list of candidates to be waived/sent down? please take it off it disturbs me

Tatar isn't going anywhere. I have no idea why anyone would think he would be.

Columbus is where they are because that's how good they are. The Wings are where they are because every forward who's worth a damn other than Nyquist and Tatar has been hurt a decent chunk of the season.

I hope not. I'm starting to suspect he and Datsyuk are too committed to the Olympic cause (being captains of their country) and are trying to rest a little before the grueling competition.

Serious question: have you been watching Zetterberg the past few weeks?

He's clearly been playing through injury. He has had a dozen 'maintance days' as well.

It's honestly shameful that people question Hank and Pav.

We all know who SHOULD be sent packing, but in realty the three that will most likely be sent to GR are Sheahan, Jurco and Glendening. Tatar is not exempt from waivers and would absolutely get snatched up...

Although, Holland surprised to bajeevies out of me by waiving Sammy, so waiving Bert and Cleary is not out of the question. I do think, since Philly wanted Cleary for $3M over the summer, they would most certainly give us a conditional pick for him at his current salary. Although Cleary does have a NTC, he showed some interest in playing in Philly, so he may waive it to go there. If he just got sent through waivers, he probably would rather play for a playoff chance than get claimed by Buffalo or Edmonton...

Speaking of waivers and stuff, notice that all the UFA's that Holland signed two summers ago are gone, so to speak. Tootoo waived, Sammy waived, Cola bought out. He atoned for those mistakes (although I do think Tootoo should be here, its just Babcock dumb ass that won't play him) so maybe he will atone for the mistake of re-signing Cleary and Bertuzzi. A (Red Wings) Nation holds its breath!

They should sit Gustavsson Tuesday and play mrazek , when's the last time he's had a start??? What's the point of having mrazek here if he's never playing , at that point call up McCollum or Coreau.

Mrazek is only 21 ... He needs to play

Mrazek is up because Howard and Gustavsson are never healthy at the same time. That means there's a pretty decent chance that the third-stringer will need to see some action. With points at an absolute premium, I want that third-stringer to be the kid who's arguably ready to be a pretty good starter in this league. Coreau is fresh out of college. McCollum is McCollum.

when it comes to priority, representing your country is way above the NHL when it comes to players, ESPECIALLY Europeans. I have NO doubt that Pav and Hank are "resting" for the Olympics or if you want, making sure they do get re-injured before they represent their countries. This is not a knock of them, it's just fact. Is it wrong? From a fan's POV yes, a fan of the NHL that is. Espcially in Russia and Sweden, hockey there is as important as living, and with the Olympics in Russia this year, Pavel Datsyuk would become an even bigger National Hero if they won the Gold. He is already regarded as the top Olympian in that country...there is no way they would risk re-injuring any part of their body, upper or lower, and miss out on the Olympics.

Edited by LeftWinger