• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Who Sits Next? Speculation Thread

Rate this topic

Guys, don't kid (pun) yourselves - the call-ups are on borrowed time. Andersson comes back and already that's one of Sheahan/Glendening gone.

No word yet I think. Sounded precautionary, day-to-day etc, but I guess we'll know more later today.

Thanks. I'm assuming he'll be back (pun) right away, but I could see him playing it safe, even if it's not that severe. Like you said, he's cleary been playing through something, hasn't been close to 100%. I can't imagine that's how he wants to go into the Olympics, especially as the captain of his squad.

Edited by Dabura

They should sit Gustavsson Tuesday and play mrazek , when's the last time he's had a start??? What's the point of having mrazek here if he's never playing , at that point call up McCollum or Coreau.

Mrazek is only 21 ... He needs to play

Mrazek has been reassigned to gr.

when it comes to priority, representing your country is way above the NHL when it comes to players, ESPECIALLY Europeans. I have NO doubt that Pav and Hank are "resting" for the Olympics or if you want, making sure they do get re-injured before they represent their countries. This is not a knock of them, it's just fact. Is it wrong? From a fan's POV yes, a fan of the NHL that is. Espcially in Russia and Sweden, hockey there is as important as living, and with the Olympics in Russia this year, Pavel Datsyuk would become an even bigger National Hero if they won the Gold. He is already regarded as the top Olympian in that country...there is no way they would risk re-injuring any part of their body, upper or lower, and miss out on the Olympics.

I don't know what you're basing that on. There's been a lot of debate in Sweden over how little the players seem to care about the national team. Tobias Enstrom for example declined to be a part of the Olympics to focus on his club team. And like I said, Z has obviously been hurting lately and playing through it. I'm pretty sure both him and Pav see the success of the Wings as more important than a 2 week tournament. I don't know why anyone would want our 2 most important players taking risks with their health, regardless of Olympic year or not.

Bet they don't sit out ANY Olympic games due to not wanting to risk their health so they can return to the Wings as soon as the Olympics are over. Fact is, in the NHL they still get paid when injured, if they're injured for the Olympics they cannot play...

If Z and Pav were injured enough to sit out NHL games so to not get even more injured, they too would opt out of the Olympics to not get injured further. Especially if what you said is true of them seeing the success of the Wings as more important than the Olympics...yet, they are sitting out now and playing in the Olympics...what if they get injured in the Olympics? No biggie, they'll just sit out more NHL games and collect their paycheck...

...lets not derail this thread though. I understand your point, but you have to see the skeptical person's point as well. IF the Wings are more important, sit out the Olympics and get healthy. But, they aren't.

Edited by LeftWinger

They're not playing because they're hurt, not to avoid injury. Zetterberg has a history of back problems, and I can't see Datsyuk not playing if he could.

They have a lot of people to choose from as to who sits. Hopefully Cleary

Edited by DickieDunn

exactly my point, they're hurt, so they are out. Makes sense, but they WON'T be out of the Olympics. If their #1 priority is the Wings, they should also sit out the Olympics to make sure they get healthier in order to help their #1 priority. But, as I mentioned, for most Europeans, the National Team IS their #1 priority everyday of the week and twice on Sunday...

Olympic athletes don't care much about the Olympics. Not the pro, team sport ones anyway. It's an honor but not much more than that. Kronwall gave an Interesting Interview where he basically said winning the gold would be nice and all, but his enthusiasm was obviously toward NHL play. It Is their bread and butter after all.

Forgive the random caps, my phone is autocorrecting them and it won't even let me override the caps changes for some reason.

exactly my point, they're hurt, so they are out. Makes sense, but they WON'T be out of the Olympics. If their #1 priority is the Wings, they should also sit out the Olympics to make sure they get healthier in order to help their #1 priority. But, as I mentioned, for most Europeans, the National Team IS their #1 priority everyday of the week and twice on Sunday...

If they're still hurt, they won't play in the Olympics. If they're not hurt, they might as well play. They know who signs their checks.

Guest mjtm77

Datsyuk is hurt, but was suppose to be back two weeks ago. He is resting/ making sure is 100 percent for the tourney that the WILL play in. On the Brightside our guys should have more energy when they return from Russia.

Before Weiss comes off LTIR the Wings are going to have to clear a bunch of cap space somehow. The only way they can get cap compliant otherwise is to send Eaves, Cleary, Jurco, and Sheahan down and run with a 22 man active roster, with Bertuzzi and Glendening or Emmerton as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Weiss isn't going anywhere. If the Wings told him they wanted to move him, he'd probably waive the NTC as long as he wasn't being sent to a train wreck like Columbus or Calgary, but they'd get next to nothing back for him. As good as Sheahan has played, he's not a #2 center, and I'm not convinced that Helm is either, or that he can stay healthy.

I wouldn't call Columbus a train wreck... they have been one of the hottest teams in the NHL

Datsyuk is hurt, but was suppose to be back two weeks ago. He is resting/ making sure is 100 percent for the tourney that the WILL play in. On the Brightside our guys should have more energy when they return from Russia.

The only point I agree with you is that he is waiting to be 100%, whether its for the Olympics or for us doesn't matter. I would rather him wait to get 100% then play a week and get hurt again.

Yes, because injuries never linger longer than they were thought to. We don't even know what's wrong with him.

If anyone except Cleary is the healthy scratch its a near travesty!

Honestly...WHO is playing worse hockey that he is right now? Its not about heart or want...he has all of that but ffs, he cant skate, he cant score, he cant hold on to the puck....honestly, I have no idea why we have him. The guy is a heart and soul guy but c'me on...he is DONE! His signing was absurd and playing him now would be even more absurd.

Its gotta be Clears....no one else makes sense.

you can give up on tootoo, emmerton, cleary bertuzzi, hell...even kindl...but dont give up on weiss yet.

that guy went through the wringer in the last year and a half.

lockout.....wrist injury....missed rest of season.

signed on to new team with new style from being focal point to second fiddle. (different linemates every other game)

groin injury slowed him down, always feared making mistakes (and slowed groin) kept him from being who he was.

then injury took him out...again.

he was never an "alfredsson type" so that comparison isnt fair. (not a "carry the team-leader" kinda guy)

chemistry and team style are huge in this league for player performance. he may never work out here....but he needs a good stretch of (healthy) time with the team before we all give up.

the red wings have a lot of players that "could" out perform somewhere else...or completely flop. (see...leino) flop-success-flop

back in the 80's players played their strengths...scorers...scored. not much back checking. but as skills elevated across the board, players are now forced to play all-around 2-way games. limiting the gifted ones to lower numbers and the game suffers.

ask yzerman.

yes, he became one of the greatest leaders of all time...but his numbers went south when he played the 2-way game.

weiss has been asked to play the "wings way" and that may not be the style that elevates him in our graces.

we may be forcing stamkos to play like maltby.

just my 2 cents.

so...go on...hit me with yours.

Play: Datsyuk, Z, Alfie, tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Abby, helm, Glendenning, Andersson, and Miller. Everyone else can sit or leave. yes some are hurt and need to get healthy, but that may be a while yet. Once everyone is 100%, if ever, play those 12. the only one in question is Weiss. if/when he gets healthy, sit Miller and play him. That is our best lineup for this year. maybe franzen plays instead of either Glendenning or Andersson. But that is about it. That is also 14 forwards, which fits the roster.

Maybe Franzen plays? Give me a break. I get it, he doesn't play hard every game. He still scores around 25 goals a year. You don't just bench that.

That's ignoring that because of cap and roster reason, they can't keep Jurco, Glendening, and Sheahn up if everyone is healthy.

Maybe Franzen plays? Give me a break. I get it, he doesn't play hard every game. He still scores around 25 goals a year. You don't just bench that.

That's ignoring that because of cap and roster reason, they can't keep Jurco, Glendening, and Sheahn up if everyone is healthy.

right i mean look these kids will be great for us in a few years but even without them we are pretty stacked when healthy i if weiss doesnt produce than fine we can always scratch him for a sheahan and same with jurco for franzen come playoff time but otherwise the kids will have to be sent back down and be patent besides i wont be surprised if holland tries to move andy anyways to bring shehan up to play 3rd or 4th line center

Hopefully Holland and Babcock do the right thing and play the right people. Its too bad that these kids have exemptions left in them because that is the only reason they will be returned to GR. When all healthy, this is what your roster SHOULD look like (without trading anyone)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Abdelkader - Weiss - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Helm - Tatar

Miller - Sheahan - Eaves

Andersson

unfortunately it will be:

Z -D - Franz

Cleary - Weiss - Alfie

Nyquist - Helm - Bertuzzi

Miller - Andersson - Abdelkader

Tatar/Eaves

...which would put them $1.1M OVER the cap, so they would have to send Eaves back down and his $1.2M. So they would have this crappy lineup and only $100,000 in cap space.

Edited by LeftWinger

Hopefully Holland and Babcock do the right thing and play the right people. Its too bad that these kids have exemptions left in them because that is the only reason they will be returned to GR. When all healthy, this is what your roster SHOULD look like (without trading anyone)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Abdelkader - Weiss - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Helm - Tatar

Miller - Sheahan - Eaves

Andersson/Bertuzzi

unfortunately it will be:

Z -D - Franz

Cleary - Weiss - Alfie

Nyquist - Helm - Bertuzzi

Miller - Andersson - Abdelkader

Tatar/Eaves

Lefty my man, you're just being melodramatic if you think Tatar's ever going to be a healthy scratch again.