• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Babcock's comments on playing time

Rate this topic

Excerpt: "What we're going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play," Babcock said after Sunday's 5-4 shootout loss to the Florida Panthers at Joe Louis Arena.

"It's not going to have anything to do with age, it's just going to be what have you done here lately. They're pushing real hard. Riley Sheahan, (Tomas Tatar), Jurco, that line was really good" against Florida.

So here's my question: Do we believe him? Will he actually sit Cleary and Bert, in favor of younger players?

A part of me wants to believe him, but the other part doesn't trust the comments, especially looking at his track record of late?

Full Article:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_babcock_the_best_guys_are.html

Excerpt: "What we're going to do is talk about it and the best guys are going to play," Babcock said after Sunday's 5-4 shootout loss to the Florida Panthers at Joe Louis Arena.

"It's not going to have anything to do with age, it's just going to be what have you done here lately. They're pushing real hard. Riley Sheahan, (Tomas Tatar), Jurco, that line was really good" against Florida.

So here's my question: Do we believe him? Will he actually sit Cleary and Bert, in favor of younger players?

A part of me wants to believe him, but the other part doesn't trust the comments, especially looking at his track record of late?

Full Article:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_babcock_the_best_guys_are.html

Bert is already sitting and Cleary was going to sit last night. So I don't see a reason to not believe him. The only question is what moves are Holland willing to make? But in the short term I definitely see Sheahan and Jurco continuing to play while Bert/Cleary sit.

No, I don't believe him. It's not just age or size, because Nyquist is playing a ton. I seriously wonder if he has something personal against Czechs. Tatar should absolutely be playing more than he is, certainly more than Cleary. Hudler was always the first one into the doghouse too. The kid line was the best line against Florida, but the other 2 scoring lines played more. If you want to limit the line as a whole, fine, run Tatar out in Cleary's space a few shifts.

Guest Playmaker

If you base it on a few months or a few weeks ago, I think you'd have to be a bit skeptical , understandably so. But Sammy is on waivers, Bert sat out and Cleary was scratched. Not sure what else you can ask for. The kids played quite a bit yesterday and with good reason. All these guys have been bringin' it night after night. At the beginning of the season, we really didn't know what we had with these guys. Now we know. Mike Babcock wants to win above all else.

If you base it on a few months or a few weeks ago, I think you'd have to be a bit skeptical , understandably so. But Sammy is on waivers, Bert sat out and Cleary was scratched. Not sure what else you can ask for. The kids played quite a bit yesterday and with good reason. All these guys have been bringin' it night after night. At the beginning of the season, we really didn't know what we had with these guys. Now we know. Mike Babcock wants to win above all else.

Check the box score. The kids didn't play all that much.

the kids (not including defense or regulars like helm) tallied a total of 70.5 minutes of ice time combined. the vets (again not including the d or our younger guys like abby and helm) combined for 52.35 minutes of ice time... i think the kids got more ice time

Guest Playmaker

I guess you'd have to define not all that much. Did they play less than others? Yeah, but not all that much and that is likely to being on the 2nd PP unit and not on the PK. Its not like they played 5 minutes and were benched in the 3rd period. They were also out there quite a bit in OT and two of the kids were in on the shootout. That's a major change for Babcock.

I'm so glad Tatar turned out to be awesome as a big f*** you to babcock.

esteef

Huh? If anything Babcock is partially responsible for the player he has become because he has made him earn his ice-time.

As it should be with all young players.

the kids (not including defense or regulars like helm) tallied a total of 70.5 minutes of ice time combined. the vets (again not including the d or our younger guys like abby and helm) combined for 52.35 minutes of ice time... i think the kids got more ice time

TOI:Totat/PP/PK

Alfredsson 19:44/4:07/0

Franzen 16:45/4:07/0:14

Helm 20:10/0/3:47

Cleary 15:48/0/2:34

Abdelkader 16:53/4:23/0

Nyquist 16:23/3:44/0

Tatar 14:08/3:14/0

Sheahan 13:48/3:14/0

Jurco 12:17/3:21/0

Glendening 14:29 /0/3:49

Miller 15:16/04:04

Eaves 12:01/2:00/0:44

Cleary played almost 2 1/2 minutes more at even strength. Miller played more at ES. Abdelkader has no business playing that much on the PP.

If the best players play, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco should have had at least a couple more minutes

Right because what coach would make a young player fight through some adversity and actually earn his spot.

It's as if our coach knows a bit about psychology....weird...

Like how Jurco went straight to the top lines over a proven Tatar? Like that? Babcock hates Tatar.

esteef

Like how Jurco went straight to the top lines over a proven Tatar? Like that? Babcock hates Tatar.

esteef

Abby plays top line all the time. Does that mean he's held in higher regard than Alfie?? No. It's about roles and spreading out the scoring between three lines.

TOI:Totat/PP/PK

Alfredsson 19:44/4:07/0

Franzen 16:45/4:07/0:14

Helm 20:10/0/3:47

Cleary 15:48/0/2:34

Abdelkader 16:53/4:23/0

Nyquist 16:23/3:44/0

Tatar 14:08/3:14/0

Sheahan 13:48/3:14/0

Jurco 12:17/3:21/0

Glendening 14:29 /0/3:49

Miller 15:16/04:04

Eaves 12:01/2:00/0:44

Cleary played almost 2 1/2 minutes more at even strength. Miller played more at ES. Abdelkader has no business playing that much on the PP.

If the best players play, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco should have had at least a couple more minutes

I didn't include anyone under 30 in the vet column. Plus they aren't rookies and have earned ice time, Cleary aside

I didn't include anyone under 30 in the vet column. Plus they aren't rookies and have earned ice time, Cleary aside

Vets are guys who have been in the league for awhile, not guys who are over 30. Abdelkader ahsn't earned that much ice time. Glendening, Miller, and Eaves shouldn't have played as much at he expense of the kid line. Cleary sure as hell shouldn't have been on the ice that much. Not only that, but the "well they're not rookies and earned their ice time" flies in the face of what Babcock said. That line was the best. I didn't expect them to play 18 minutes, but they sure as hell should have been second in terms of TOI.