• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

If you base it on a few months or a few weeks ago, I think you'd have to be a bit skeptical , understandably so.  But Sammy is on waivers, Bert sat out and Cleary was scratched.  Not sure what else you can ask for.  The kids played quite a bit yesterday and with good reason.  All these guys have been bringin' it night after night.  At the beginning of the season, we really didn't know what we had with these guys.  Now we know.  Mike Babcock wants to win above all else.

I'm sure that Babs wants to win, but what does Holland want? While I definitely believe Kenny wants to win I'm just not sure he'll do what it takes. Which will include trading or waiving some of his veterans. And if he's not willing to move the veterans I would even go as far as to say Kenny should be willing to move some kids and picks for a top pairing D and or a top six forward.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#42 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'm sure that Babs wants to win, but what does Holland want? While I definitely believe Kenny wants to win I'm just not sure he'll do what it takes. Which will include trading or waiving some of his veterans. And if he's not willing to move the veterans I would even go as far as to say Kenny should be willing to move some kids and picks for a top pairing D and or a top six forward.

Coaches are more focused on today.  GMs tend to take a longer view* and put more consideration into the future that coaches.  Both want to win.

*Unless you're Paul Holmgren, then you make whatever move pops into your head at that exact second.

Edited by DickieDunn, 28 January 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Vets are guys who have been in the league for awhile, not guys who are over 30.  Abdelkader ahsn't earned that much ice time.  Glendening, Miller, and Eaves shouldn't have played as much at he expense of the kid line.  Cleary sure as hell shouldn't have been on the ice that much.  Not only that, but the "well they're not rookies and earned their ice time" flies in the face of what Babcock said.  That line was the best.  I didn't expect them to play 18 minutes, but they sure as hell should have been second in terms of TOI.

Abdelkader has been awesome this year.  Sure he could bury some more of his chances, but he's got some goals, a decent number of assists, but the thing he does that's most valuable is he forechecks like a pitbull.  Numerous goals have been scored because of his forecheck and puck retrieval.  That's why Dats and Z love playing with him.  He does the grunt work and makes his linemates lives easier.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag