• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

NHL may rethink Sochi

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-might-reevaluate-sending-players-232412744--nhl.html

Due to the security threats, they might not allow the NHL players to go after all. As of now everything is going ahead as planned, but if a major incident happens or there's an "unreasonably dangerous situation" they may pull the players out.

Smart decision, if I were a player I'd decline my families friends to got here and probably wouldn't go either. Sure the games are a highlight but not worth risking your life.

I f***ingly hate the IOC for giving the games to such a dangerous area. If the players don't go would the NHL season continue without a break ?

Someone has to go...I am not for NHL players in the Olympics, but what are we going to send 17 and 18 kids over there to get blown up? That would be like throwing your kid in front of a bullet to save your own life...

If we don't send players, the dickheads win. And I don't mean the Candians! :lol: I mean the terrorists. ( I am part Canadian BTW, so I can mess with my own heritage.)

If the countries don't go to Sochi, then the bad guys win, they successfully strongarm us into their plots of fear. The ONLY way to stamp out this garbage and garbage people in the world is to react with vengeance. I don't mean a ground war against them either. Not to turn this political, but they way the world and the United Nations pussyfoot around these assholes isn't getting the job done. If you attack us, you will be destroyed. PERIOD.

I am not saying FORCE these players and citizens to go, but let them choose, that is, in fact, the wonder of our nation, the right to choose. If you as an individual feel afraid or not then choose if you want to go or not. You cannot let these pigs win. That's right I called them pigs because that is what they are PIGS.

How stupid would they be to bomb Sochi, when all they would get in return is the likes of not only the USA on their bad side, but now the rest of the world! Last time I checked, Russia and China weren't too involved in the war on Terror, but bomb Sochi? IN Russia? Now you Al-Qaida dildos have the entire world against you, and there will be nobody to oppose the USA when they start bombing your ass. It's time to stamp out these cockroaches with nuclear weapons. If something happens and China and Russia get pissed off, guarantee it's over. The middle east will look like a parking lot, and I for one, encourage it! Bye Bye Al-Qaida...

Someone has to go...I am not for NHL players in the Olympics, but what are we going to send 17 and 18 kids over there to get blown up? That would be like throwing your kid in front of a bullet to save your own life...

If we don't send players, the dickheads win. And I don't mean the Candians! :lol: I mean the terrorists. ( I am part Canadian BTW, so I can mess with my own heritage.)

If the countries don't go to Sochi, then the bad guys win, they successfully strongarm us into their plots of fear. The ONLY way to stamp out this garbage and garbage people in the world is to react with vengeance. I don't mean a ground war against them either. Not to turn this political, but they way the world and the United Nations pussyfoot around these assholes isn't getting the job done. If you attack us, you will be destroyed. PERIOD.

I am not saying FORCE these players and citizens to go, but let them choose, that is, in fact, the wonder of our nation, the right to choose. If you as an individual feel afraid or not then choose if you want to go or not. You cannot let these pigs win. That's right I called them pigs because that is what they are PIGS.

How stupid would they be to bomb Sochi, when all they would get in return is the likes of not only the USA on their bad side, but now the rest of the world! Last time I checked, Russia and China weren't too involved in the war on Terror, but bomb Sochi? IN Russia? Now you Al-Qaida dildos have the entire world against you, and there will be nobody to oppose the USA when they start bombing your ass. It's time to stamp out these cockroaches with nuclear weapons. If something happens and China and Russia get pissed off, guarantee it's over. The middle east will look like a parking lot, and I for one, encourage it! Bye Bye Al-Qaida...

I dont wanna be that guy to turn down your Toby Keith music, but not every terrorist attack is al quaida man.

I agree with you on multiple points.

I'm Just saying man.

Bravo sir, I fully agree I'm not gonna turn this into a political thing either but that's exactly how to handle these scumbags. Erase them from planet earth at all costs.

That being said, I still think going to Sochi is to dangerous and yes, if they are stupid enough to something they are done but I don't want to see athletes, who are doing nothing but competing with pride for the country having to deal with that sort of danger. Also keep in mind if more and more countries aren't going, Russia will be pissed off and starting to go nuclear against them.

Also the IOC has to share some blame here you can't give the games to such a dangerous place it's disgusting that players and fans have to talk about the security instead of the games itself shame on you IOC

Please keep the conversation relevant to hockey and away from political discussion.

I realize there's overlap here so it's tricky, but this is the hockey discussion forum. The topic involves political matters but try to keep the discussion about the implications to NHL players going. Not about terrorists, Russian politics, etc.

It doesn't matter where games are held. If someone wants to be a terrorist, they're going to find a way to disrupt a public thing like this.

I understand why the NHL would do this, but the players are going as private citizens, not as employees of the NHL and should be allowed to make their decision as private citizens. If an individual country decides not to participate, that's a different story since they are sending the athletes to represent them.

I hope they go and that if any group is going to try anything that they are caught before anyone gets hurt and that they are seriously punished (death sounds good to me).

It doesn't matter where games are held. If someone wants to be a terrorist, they're going to find a way to disrupt a public thing like this.

I understand why the NHL would do this, but the players are going as private citizens, not as employees of the NHL and should be allowed to make their decision as private citizens. If an individual country decides not to participate, that's a different story since they are sending the athletes to represent them.

I hope they go and that if any group is going to try anything that they are caught before anyone gets hurt and that they are seriously punished (death sounds good to me).

They are still employees of the NHL under contract. Just like how some contracts don't allow players to ride motorcycles or participate in other dangerous activities that could jeopardize their athletic career, they could prevent them from going to Sochi.

exactly...freedom of choice! Let them choose if they want to go or not, but as a nation, DO NOT pull out of these Olympics because terrorists are trying to destroy your way of life. The NHL should say, we are no longer supporting these Olympics (or any more for that matter) but our players are free to choose with their God given rights if they want to participate. Terrorists will NEVER a person's right to choose. I say good for the NHL for not wanting to put their players and families in danger, but you cannot bow down to these fools.

They are still employees of the NHL under contract. Just like how some contracts don't allow players to ride motorcycles or participate in other dangerous activities that could jeopardize their athletic career, they could prevent them from going to Sochi.

That is a very good point. I still feel that if other athletes are going as individuals representing their countries, the NHL guys shouldn't be treated differently, but your point is quite valid.

The question (for the NHL) is whether or not the security issues are that pressing that it merits pulling their players when countries and individuals are not backing down. If nations were pulling out, I could see it.

This could be a boon for countries with non-NHL players on their teams if it happens.

:lol: I don't even like Toby Keith, but it was Al-Qaida that threatened Sochi...that is why I centered my rant on them...

Good.

ha.

I thought it was funny, but. Yeah.

I read that it was an Islam extremist group and a Russian terrorist group with no affiliations to al quaida, and that they were "more determined" than them

http://freebeacon.com/u-s-identifies-terror-group-threatening-attacks-on-the-olympics/

As was mentioned, they're under contract in the NHL. Essentially they can only go because the NHL is allowing them to play hockey elsewhere during the season.

I think he said referring to nearly all the Russian players stating that they would go, regardless of what the NHL did or didn't say. I can't recall if Dats said that, because if he did, he didn't make a big deal out of it.

As was mentioned, they're under contract in the NHL. Essentially they can only go because the NHL is allowing them to play hockey elsewhere during the season.

Under contract.....and no NHL games scheduled. And an international agreement between the NHL and the IIHF.

And a commissioner who ​loathes the winter olympics, and has consistently, throughout his entire rein, tried to stop NHL players going. He's already started on 2018 FWIW.

If players want to go they will do so, period. Especially the Russian players, if the midget says "you don't go" they are going to tell hiim f*** you if you don't take us back after the olympics we are going to play in the KHL and making more money there...which then would piss off the owner = hotwater for the commissioner.

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games? I just going to watch. In Russia. See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break. And then played for Russia.

What would be the punishment? If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games? I just going to watch. In Russia. See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break. And then played for Russia.

What would be the punishment? If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

That would be one hell of a dilemma to be in, hey? I can't even fathom what Pavel would do/where his "loyalties" would lie.