• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

NHL may rethink Sochi

Rate this topic

I think both of these are debatable. Mostly the latter. How many NHL games have been threatened by terrorists, let alone actually hit? I mean, moot point, I guess. But I just wanted to say.

The country > club mostly comes from the European players. In the major European sports you see a lot more of the Country A vs Country B on a heck of a lot more consistent basis than you see in North America. You see players say growing up there goal as kids was not to play in the NHL. It was to play for there national team. To most the NHL wasnt even a goal as few knew much about it. Now some of that has changed with the rise of internet and the NHL pushing to enter new European tv markets.

Im not saying there have been games threatened, although Im sure every team at some point has had some type of threat, but just that in terms of the security that will be present at the Olympics vs a standard NHL game security the NHL game would be easier to hit. An NHL game might not be the first choice for a terrorist but then again some nutjob thought a small strip of the Boston marathon was a tasty enough target so 20k in an enclosed arena might look good to them. In terms of lax security use the Joe for example. How many octopusses are smuggled in every year? All someone with ill intentions has to do is mix something nasty up and wrap it in octopus. Easy entry.

Basically to wrap up my general viewpoint its that if you let the minute threat of danger prevent you from doing things your going to miss a lot in life. Im probably more in danger of death driving to work in the morning than athletes at the Olympics are yet I dont give a second thought to going to work.

I was referring to something happening prior to the beginning of the games. I really don't see the NHL pulling participation over the possibility of maybe could be what if there's a threat. If something starts to look legitimate and probable, not just possible, then I could see them making that decision.

I can't picture a "legitimate and probable" terrorist threat. It is always AFTER the fact, that we say "it was probable". Before the fact, it is always "possible". If enough were known about the plot for it to be "legitimate and probable" wouldn't the security forces use that information to stop the plot?

The country > club mostly comes from the European players. In the major European sports you see a lot more of the Country A vs Country B on a heck of a lot more consistent basis than you see in North America. You see players say growing up there goal as kids was not to play in the NHL. It was to play for there national team. To most the NHL wasnt even a goal as few knew much about it. Now some of that has changed with the rise of internet and the NHL pushing to enter new European tv markets.

All NHL players vote for Olympic participation pretty consistently. That suggests to me that its not just a European thing.

Also, for a pro athlete, it is usually money>country>>> club :)

Although there were some exceptions when NHL players played for their national teams when they didn't have NHL contracts, and so risking a lot financially, if they got hurt playing in Oly or WC games.

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games? I just going to watch. In Russia. See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break. And then played for Russia.

What would be the punishment? If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

Well, if I was in Datsyuk's shoes, I'd say there is no punishment not worth it. Yeah it might suck, but hey, there's a league at home that will pay me a lot more to play there and I'll be much closer to my family. NHL really has no leverage in a situation like that.

Yeah this is getting pretty risky. Ive read some crazy things about what is going on around the events in Sochi and it's kind of scary. I also saw this the other day and thought I'd share it here.

http://m.imgur.com/a/0muGY

Oh no, they are building stuff in Sochi, and it looks like a construction site. Pahlease!

I can take photos like that 100 ft from my house and I live in the center of Ohio capital that has no Olympic construction going on.

Seriously, all I saw was a construction site for some high rise apartment buildings, what does that have to do with the Olympics?

Oh no, they are building stuff in Sochi, and it looks like a construction site. Pahlease!

I can take photos like that 100 ft from my house and I live in the center of Ohio capital that has no Olympic construction going on.

Seriously, all I saw was a construction site for some high rise apartment buildings, what does that have to do with the Olympics?

I saw these pictures a few days ago. I feel like they're trying to portray it as an unsafe war zone call of duty map type place when this is just a typical construction site. Oh no steel beams in a lay down area near a main road (probably how they got there in the first place) how dare they! Granted working in construction I notice some obvious safety issues there but I'm sure their rules are different. These pictures could easily have been taken in the U.S. and look no different. The fact that their is construction of that scale going on is suppose to be a good thing.

Or maybe perhaps all of this indicates it is an unsafe war zone. In all honesty why would it even be an issue with the NHL then? I hardly doubt just to ruffle feathers...also go take a picture of your construction in Ohio then take another one of the Olympics being played there a week later.

I think he problem is all of that stuff was supposed to be done and is way past deadline and won't be completed in time for the Olympics. I know I heard a lot about a lot of the hotels not being finished in time and so forth

I'm not sure if Sochi is unsafe. I do know that Russian security is not top tier compared to other international powers. Confidence in their ability might be playing Into the NHL's thinking, too.

At any rate, I think that players don't care as much as we think they do. It might be fun, but I don't think any would stand up to the NHL if they backed out. Better to have a career than a two week tournament.

Or maybe perhaps all of this indicates it is an unsafe war zone. In all honesty why would it even be an issue with the NHL then? I hardly doubt just to ruffle feathers...also go take a picture of your construction in Ohio then take another one of the Olympics being played there a week later.

When you show me pix of unfinished stadiums, unfinished Olympic village, unfinished hotels (that were supposed to house Olympic guests), and unfinished roads between the above, I'll take that seriously. What I saw in the pix you linked, were some random construction sites. They may have nothing whatever to do with the Olympics, as the structures looked neither like sports arenas nor hotels.

One of the pix, with the "no gas" caption, was simply a notice that an apartment building will have it's gas turned off from 10 am to 5 pm one day only for pipeline repairs. This is not new construction, and has no relation to the Olympics. Whoever took the pix made it look something that it wasn't in at least this one instance. Therefore I question their trustworthiness with regard to other pix.

All NHL players vote for Olympic participation pretty consistently. That suggests to me that its not just a European thing.

Also, for a pro athlete, it is usually money>country>>> club :)

Although there were some exceptions when NHL players played for their national teams when they didn't have NHL contracts, and so risking a lot financially, if they got hurt playing in Oly or WC games.

When I was a kid (80s), there were no NHL players in the Olympics. I never watched hockey in the Olympics....I watched the NHL and I watched Canada Cups, that's what I was interested in.

I'm from Canada (but I'm assuming it is the same for hockey players in the US), grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup...Olympics wasn't even a thought at all. Back then, you were on the Olympic team if you were good, but not good enough for the NHL, so no one wanted that.

Nowadays, they get to have both, so of course they'll vote to play.

It's different for Europeans, they (most) wouldn't have grown up dreaming of the NHL, they would have dreamed about World Championships and Olympics. Not sure what it is like today, but I'm pretty sure World Championships are still seen as pretty important by Europeans....not so much for Canadians.

Am I still the only one that thinks professionals shouldn't be in the Olympics? I know how it started, and all that, but the Olympics is for amateur sport. I always hope that they won't be allowed to go.

I understand the thought process, but will tell you that I'd have zero interest if it wasn't NHL players going. Same reason I have zero interest in the Spangler Cup (sp?).

The way I've looked at it in the past is that I watch the Olympics to see the best athletes in the world. The difference is that for most of the areas being competed, there really is no professional organization, so technically, they are amateurs I guess (or are they....if they make money at it, aren't they professional? But the money is likely from edorsements vs. actually competing in their sport).

If it isn't the best in the world, I'm not interested.

For hockey - World Juniors is a good example for me as well....they aren't the best in the world overall, but they at that age level and for the most part, these will be the future stars of the game. So I have interest in that.

I blame Bettman...and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Well, considering Shero and Bylsma put Orpik and Martin on the defense instead of Johnson and Seabrook, we could put some blame on them when they don't win the gold!

When I was a kid (80s), there were no NHL players in the Olympics. I never watched hockey in the Olympics....I watched the NHL and I watched Canada Cups, that's what I was interested in.

I'm from Canada (but I'm assuming it is the same for hockey players in the US), grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup...Olympics wasn't even a thought at all. Back then, you were on the Olympic team if you were good, but not good enough for the NHL, so no one wanted that.

Nowadays, they get to have both, so of course they'll vote to play.

And the bulk of the current NHL players grew up with the Olympics having all the top players competing. So my point stands, I doubt there's any significant difference between the current European vs North American NHLers with regards to Olympics.

You and I, my friend, grew up long ago in a different world :)

Well, considering Shero and Bylsma put Orpik and Martin on the defense instead of Johnson and Seabrook, we could put some blame on them when they don't win the gold!

I don't think it's Bylsma's or Shero's fault that Brent Seabrook is not on Team USA (I'm sure they'd put him on if they could)......but you could blame Yzerman for leaving him off Team Canada.

I don't think it's Bylsma's or Shero's fault that Brent Seabrook is not on Team USA (I'm sure they'd put him on if they could)......but you could blame Yzerman for leaving him off Team Canada.

Wow, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the correction.

Everybody has been talking about if players would tell the NHL to screw off, but il tell you what if the NHL pulls the plug on sochi, its for good reason, not to piss of the players. I do think players will think of their safety as well, this isnt about fighting the players on going its about safety, and the players will think about that more then a 2 week tourney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I still the only one that thinks professionals shouldn't be in the Olympics? I know how it started, and all that, but the Olympics is for amateur sport. I always hope that they won't be allowed to go.

Other countries would still figure out how to make sure their top players can play. I could see top Euros signing 3 year contracts in the NHL, going back home for Olympic years to play for a "club" team that doesn't pay players, but coincidentally all the players have nice endorsement deals that pay them what they'd be making if they were in a "pro" league, and the players playing in the Olympics. If the IOC says that if you play in the NHL at all, you can't go to the Olympics, I could see fewer Europeans coming here at all, and they can't say you can't get endorsements without losing all of their top athletes across the board.