• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

NHL may rethink Sochi

Rate this topic

Everybody has been talking about if players would tell the NHL to screw off, but il tell you what if the NHL pulls the plug on sochi, its for good reason, not to piss of the players. I do think players will think of their safety as well, this isnt about fighting the players on going its about safety, and the players will think about that more then a 2 week tourney Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players have already decided, that they don't want their families, girlfriends there that speaks volume to the amount of fear they and a lot of fans are having. Usually once you are selected to proudly represent your fatherland in the Olmypics the first thing an athlete would do, is get tickets for his friends, family and book some nice hotels. You need to have a very good reason not doing something like that and sadly in this case, their reason is very well documented (I would do the same thing).

So I highly doubt, the NHLPA would see this as a slap in the face and more as a don't risk your life for 2 weeks of olympics type of thing. If something - god forbid - happens the IOC members who awarded these games to Sochi need to be held accountable.

Players have already decided, that they don't want their families, girlfriends there that speaks volume to the amount of fear they and a lot of fans are having. Usually once you are selected to proudly represent your fatherland in the Olmypics the first thing an athlete would do, is get tickets for his friends, family and book some nice hotels. You need to have a very good reason not doing something like that and sadly in this case, their reason is very well documented (I would do the same thing).

So I highly doubt, the NHLPA would see this as a slap in the face and more as a don't risk your life for 2 weeks of olympics type of thing. If something - god forbid - happens the IOC members who awarded these games to Sochi need to be held accountable.

Yes, some have decided that. And they based their decision on pretty much the same info as the rest of us get from the media. Simply because there isn't any better info to have.

Some, however, decided to have their families and friends there. Crosby for one.

Players have already decided, that they don't want their families, girlfriends there that speaks volume to the amount of fear they and a lot of fans are having.

I dunno that it shows they're trembling with fear, just, well..."Honey? You and the kids might die. So you should probably stay home." From a you-don't-want-your-family-to-die perspective, it's a no-brainer. And, less nobly, you'd rather not have concerns about your family's safety in the back (or front) of your mind while competing for Olympic Gold. And, honestly, families can be kind of annoying.

Honestly, I think that you have to be in their shoes to make the decision.

How many of you would bungee jump? Work graveyards in a convenience store alone? Go camping in Yellowstone?

No way would I bungee jump (don't like heights) or camp where there may be bears and/or snakes. OTOH, I've worked graves in a c-store for years. Every time one gets robbed, people come in and ask me if I'm afraid. I don't understand what there is to worry about. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen, and the odds are pretty slim.

Of course, you could say the same about bungee jumping, camping with bears, dancing with wolves, flying in an airplane, driving a car, or playing hockey in Russia, but each of us has the place where we draw the line. We have our own risk/reward ratio.

If I was chosen as an Olympian, I'd be on the plane, but that's just me. I can understand and respect the decisions of those who think that the risk is too great, but I'd go. Unless I was on a plane with a bungee jumping bear. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I really think it depends on each individual personally I would not go, heck I wouldn't even want to visit Russia with all the shadyness going on there. Is bungee jumping dangerous ? For sure but I'd rather do something like that, instead of going into such a dangerous unpredictable situation like Sochi.

At the end of the day, hockey is the biggest event of the winter olympics which means the biggest target also :(

I've read the five pages of the thread to find that playing in the Sochi Olympics is pretty much the same as working night shift in a convenience store.

If you play in Sochi you have to drive the car, fly in the airplane and stay in Russia for an extended period, so that's like a triple-threat.

I mean, you've seen those nasty multiple car pileups on the Interstate and you know not everyone can fly Qantas. Airplanes are also typically ripe for picking up flu's like the H1N1, which in some instances can be fatal. Also, don't forget that in Russia if a chicken crows at you three times before noon, the death of a close family member can be expected within a fortnight, a woman with empty water buckets coming towards you is considered a bad omen ... and they love Herring, mayo and pickle sandwiches.

Go at your own risk NHL players, but you'll likely end up dead before you arrive.

Edited by stillwater

You are more likely to die from getting hit by someone texting and driving or some drunk than in some incident at the Olympics. I'd be a lot more worried about flying on those Russian airplanes.

The media like to exaggerate to sell copies and get clicks. Don't forget that. Every Olympics has threats and concerns surrounding it. Funny how you didn't hear North American media outlets going on and on incessantly about possible threats in Vancouver when they hosted, even though there were MANY. But big, bad, evil Russia hosts, and it is nothing but scare stories on the "news". (I expected as much, being that "the west" hates Russia)

Not to mention that the NHL never wanted their product (ie: the players) to go to Sochi in the first place in case they got injured, so it is no surprise that they would jump on any excuse they could to try to get the players to stay home.

You are more likely to die from getting hit by someone texting and driving or some drunk than in some incident at the Olympics. I'd be a lot more worried about flying on those Russian airplanes.

The media like to exaggerate to sell copies and get clicks. Don't forget that. Every Olympics has threats and concerns surrounding it. Funny how you didn't hear North American media outlets going on and on incessantly about possible threats in Vancouver when they hosted, even though there were MANY. But big, bad, evil Russia hosts, and it is nothing but scare stories on the "news". (I expected as much, being that "the west" hates Russia)

Not to mention that the NHL never wanted their product (ie: the players) to go to Sochi in the first place in case they got injured, so it is no surprise that they would jump on any excuse they could to try to get the players to stay home.

Little known fact: Well over 99% of drunk drivers drive without incident everyday (about 99.7%). Not trying to be offensive, just trying to be right.

The real reason Uncle Gary doesn't like shutting down, allowing players to participate in the Olympics: the League makes squadoosh.

Exactly even if it would be very dangerous if the NHL could at least make one buck they'd be forcing the players to go, thanks god the NHLPA would have had something to say about it.

My point hasn't changed, personally if I were a player I would not go.

Hey Numbers, how many people have died in terror attacks at the Olympics versus people who have died in drunk driving incidents worldwide?

I agree that most people that drive drunk don't get into accidents. That also has absolutely zero to do with what I said. Which was that you have a MUCH greater likelihood of getting hit by a drunk driver than you do dying in some attack at the Olympics.

Do you disagree?

Little known fact: Well over 99% of drunk drivers drive without incident everyday (about 99.7%). Not trying to be offensive, just trying to be right.

Do you have a link to that survey? That would be an interesting read.

For some reason I just can't imagine every drunk driver reporting into some research team somewhere. The control groups must have been something else.

Hey Numbers, how many people have died in terror attacks at the Olympics versus people who have died in drunk driving incidents worldwide?

I agree that most people that drive drunk don't get into accidents. That also has absolutely zero to do with what I said. Which was that you have a MUCH greater likelihood of getting hit by a drunk driver than you do dying in some attack at the Olympics.

Do you disagree?

Just saying both are very unlikely

Do you have a link to that survey? That would be an interesting read.

For some reason I just can't imagine every drunk driver reporting into some research team somewhere. The control groups must have been something else.

Ran the numbers MADD puts out a few years ago. Just go to their site. They conveniently don't run the numbers for u.

Sorry for leaving hockey realm mods

Foreign media are sending back photos of some of the rather odd things they've seen at Sochi, regarding the accommodations for the guest athletes. I haven't seen things this funny since the "glory days" of reading National Lampoon.

Some of my faves:

Canada's men's hockey accommodations

tumblr_n0hcbm5iUV1qlfo2so1_500_zpsdebb79

And...

tumblr_n0haa6dwze1qad6qzo1_500_zps8520f3

Nothing like some good quality bonding time on the s***ter...

I read something on bleacher report where you can't flush toilet paper, theres no heat, the waters not suitable for your face and is yellow If its working at all, and they're killing hundreds of wild dogs.

Ha.

It seems like a third world country.

Some of my faves:

Canada's men's hockey accommodations

tumblr_n0hcbm5iUV1qlfo2so1_500_zpsdebb79

You guys do remember that in Lake Placid 1980 Olympics, the Olympic village was in a prison, right?

I read something on bleacher report where you can't flush toilet paper, theres no heat, the waters not suitable for your face and is yellow If its working at all, and they're killing hundreds of wild dogs.

Ha.

It seems like a third world country.

The ioc should be ashamed and held responsible for that disaster.

Instead of talking about the prejoy, we have to read things from Muslims planning attacks, dogs getting killed, people there losing homes and of course bad quality of life.

Worst Olympic decision ever made be proud you ioc f***ers

You guys do remember that in Lake Placid 1980 Olympics, the Olympic village was in a prison, right?

At least prisons are secure, and theres potable water.

Plus that was 34 yrs ago, the standard of living for the average person has risen dramatically since then, not to mention that of a professional/Olympic athlete.

At least prisons are secure, and theres potable water.

Plus that was 34 yrs ago, the standard of living for the average person has risen dramatically since then, not to mention that of a professional/Olympic athlete.

Do look up photos from Lake Placid Olympic village. Or from London and Vancouver for that matter. You will find that the rooms didn't look much different from the picture from Sochi.