• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

So how exactly will the NHL stop players going to Sochi?  Are they going to take Datsyuk's passport off him?

As was mentioned, they're under contract in the NHL.  Essentially they can only go because the NHL is allowing them to play hockey elsewhere during the season.

#22 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

As was mentioned, they're under contract in the NHL.  Essentially they can only go because the NHL is allowing them to play hockey elsewhere during the season.

I think he said referring to nearly all the Russian players stating that they would go, regardless of what the NHL did or didn't say. I can't recall if Dats said that, because if he did, he didn't make a big deal out of it.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Under contract.....and no NHL games scheduled.  And an international agreement between the NHL and the IIHF.

And a commissioner who ​loathes the winter olympics, and has consistently, throughout his entire rein, tried to stop NHL players going.  He's already started on 2018 FWIW.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

If players want to go they will do so, period. Especially the Russian players, if the midget says "you don't go" they are going to tell hiim f*** you if you don't take us back after the olympics we are going to play in the KHL and making more money there...which then would piss off the owner = hotwater for the commissioner.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games?  I just going to watch.  In Russia.  See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break.  And then played for Russia. 

What would be the punishment?  If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

#26 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Just for the sake of discussion, what would happen if they did ban the players and someone (say Pavel, for instance) said, "No games?  I just going to watch.  In Russia.  See you in two weeks." and pretended to go home for the already-scheduled break.  And then played for Russia. 

What would be the punishment?  If you were in his shoes (home country, Captain of the team), how bad would those sanctions have to be to be "not worth it"?

That would be one hell of a dilemma to be in, hey? I can't even fathom what Pavel would do/where his "loyalties" would lie.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#27 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

If the there were more direct threats, or an attack before the games, and they didn't cancel them entirely, the NHL would be well within their rights to tell the players that they can't go.  There are clauses in contracts that can prohibit the players from engaging in activities that they know to be dangerous.  If the players went anyway they could be suspended without pay and probably fined for behavior detrimental to the team.

Hopefully the threats are just bluster and that Russian security is good enough to stop anything if something is attempted.

Edited by DickieDunn, 28 January 2014 - 06:15 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#28 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

aaaaaand of course someone deleted my post when i specifically asked that it not be deleted due to having a different opinion than the moderator....

Edit: aaaaand more of my post are being edited. Seriously Mods you don't have to run this place like a communist dictatorship.

Edited by roboturner, 28 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

#29 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

aaaaaand of course someone deleted my post when i specifically asked that it not be deleted due to having a different opinion than the moderator....

They've stated the rules for this thread and if you ignore it, your post will be deleted. So I don't understand your problem.

kftx.jpg

#30 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

It feels like Kiev in here lol

#31 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

They've stated the rules for this thread and if you ignore it, your post will be deleted. So I don't understand your problem.

and I didn't talk about politics I talked about how they generally could be relevant to the conversation in these situations and listed other HOCKEY situations in which they were

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

and I didn't talk about politics I talked about how they generally could be relevant to the conversation in these situations and listed other HOCKEY situations in which they were

Yeah but the topic is that the NHL NHLPA might be rethinking about the sigh participations, not what happened in 1980

I know it's not easy but certainly possible

kftx.jpg

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Which is not the topic of the the thread.

I wasn't the mod who deleted the posts, but would have had I seen them.  And it has nothing to do with differing opinions.

If you want to discuss your thoughts on whether or not you should be able to discuss politics here, feel free to PM me or any of the mods and we can explain the long history of political discussion here and decision to eliminate it from the forums.  Or you could even start a thread in the appropriate forum like the water cooler.

But making an off topic post in response to a warning to stay on topic will virtually guarantee its deletion.

And to be clear, do not respond to this post in the thread.  Now let's get back to the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

#34 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

This is all about the insurance premiums that were paid to cover the NHL players' contracts.  Do a google search on the subject and you will see that this was an extraordinary amount of money that needed to be paid to cover the salaries.

Now imagine what the terms of the insurance coverage are, i.e. what exactly does it cover and what does it not cover.

This is about money, not politics.

#35 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,004 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

I sort of feel like this is already an "unreasonably dangerous situation."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#36 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Holding the Olympics in a country like Russia is like having a box of chocolates...Ya never know what ya gonna get.

Like there's a country where there is no threat of terrorism? Chill out dude.

Anyway, if some NHL players want to stay home, let them. As an old Russian song says, "Only real men play hockey, cowards don't play hockey". Sans other NHLers, it's going to be a cakewalk for OV, datsyuk and Co.

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Like there's a country where there is no threat of terrorism? Chill out dude.

Anyway, if some NHL players want to stay home, let them. As an old Russian song says, "Only real men play hockey, cowards don't play hockey". Sans other NHLers, it's going to be a cakewalk for OV, datsyuk and Co.

Pretty much.  They just had the Olympics in London.  They've had their share of terrorist attacks and threats. 

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Anyways, whatever it is best for the safety of the players, is what I want.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 28 January 2014 - 09:48 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#39 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

IF the NHL players were removed - which team do you think benefits/loses least? Russia? 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

IF the NHL players were removed - which team do you think benefits/loses least? Russia? 

I think it will be the smaller countries and some underdogs like Swiss or Finland, who are very good just not as elite as Can and so on

but winning gold would not be the same because every hockeyfan would know, that the best players did not participate

kftx.jpg