• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#61 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

This is all just a ploy to keep US hockey from winning gold!!

esteef

I blame Bettman...and the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#62 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

I'm not sure if Sochi is unsafe. I do know that Russian security is not top tier compared to other international powers. Confidence in their ability might be playing Into the NHL's thinking, too.

At any rate, I think that players don't care as much as we think they do. It might be fun, but I don't think any would stand up to the NHL if they backed out. Better to have a career than a two week tournament.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#63 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

The mere possibility of a mess plays right into the hands of Uncle Gary and his plans for "next big thing" (even though it wasn't his idea in the first place).

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#64 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Am I still the only one that thinks professionals shouldn't be in the Olympics? I know how it started, and all that, but the Olympics is for amateur sport. I always hope that they won't be allowed to go.

Uhh...you might want to duck!

#65 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Or maybe perhaps all of this indicates it is an unsafe war zone. In all honesty why would it even be an issue with the NHL then? I hardly doubt just to ruffle feathers...also go take a picture of your construction in Ohio then take another one of the Olympics being played there a week later.

When you show me pix of unfinished stadiums, unfinished Olympic village, unfinished hotels (that were supposed to house Olympic guests), and unfinished roads between the above, I'll take that seriously. What I saw in the pix you linked, were some random construction sites. They may have nothing whatever to do with the Olympics, as the structures looked neither like sports arenas nor hotels.

One of the pix, with the "no gas" caption, was simply a notice that an apartment building will have it's gas turned off from 10 am to 5 pm one day only for pipeline repairs. This is not new construction, and has no relation to the Olympics. Whoever took the pix made it look something that it wasn't in at least this one instance. Therefore I question their trustworthiness with regard to other pix.

#66 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

All NHL players vote for Olympic participation pretty consistently. That suggests to me that its not just a European thing.

Also, for a pro athlete, it is usually money>country>>> club :)

Although there were some exceptions when NHL players played for their national teams when they didn't have NHL contracts, and so risking a lot financially, if they got hurt playing in Oly or WC games.

When I was a kid (80s), there were no NHL players in the Olympics.  I never watched hockey in the Olympics....I watched the NHL and I watched Canada Cups, that's what I was interested in.

I'm from Canada (but I'm assuming it is the same for hockey players in the US), grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup...Olympics wasn't even a thought at all.  Back then, you were on the Olympic team if you were good, but not good enough for the NHL, so no one wanted that.

Nowadays, they get to have both, so of course they'll vote to play. 

It's different for Europeans, they (most) wouldn't have grown up dreaming of the NHL, they would have dreamed about World Championships and Olympics.  Not sure what it is like today, but I'm pretty sure World Championships are still seen as pretty important by Europeans....not so much for Canadians.

Am I still the only one that thinks professionals shouldn't be in the Olympics? I know how it started, and all that, but the Olympics is for amateur sport. I always hope that they won't be allowed to go.

I understand the thought process, but will tell you that I'd have zero interest if it wasn't NHL players going.  Same reason I have zero interest in the Spangler Cup (sp?).

The way I've looked at it in the past is that I watch the Olympics to see the best athletes in the world.  The difference is that for most of the areas being competed, there really is no professional organization, so technically, they are amateurs I guess (or are they....if they make money at it, aren't they professional? But the money is likely from edorsements vs. actually competing in their sport).

If it isn't the best in the world, I'm not interested.

For hockey - World Juniors is a good example for me as well....they aren't the best in the world overall, but they at that age level and for the most part, these will be the future stars of the game.  So I have interest in that.

#67 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I blame Bettman...and the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

Well, considering Shero and Bylsma put Orpik and Martin on the defense instead of Johnson and Seabrook, we could put some blame on them when they don't win the gold!

#68 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

When I was a kid (80s), there were no NHL players in the Olympics.  I never watched hockey in the Olympics....I watched the NHL and I watched Canada Cups, that's what I was interested in.

I'm from Canada (but I'm assuming it is the same for hockey players in the US), grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup...Olympics wasn't even a thought at all.  Back then, you were on the Olympic team if you were good, but not good enough for the NHL, so no one wanted that.

Nowadays, they get to have both, so of course they'll vote to play. 

And the bulk of the current NHL players grew up with the Olympics having all the top players competing. So my point stands, I doubt there's any significant difference between the current European vs North American NHLers with regards to Olympics.

You and I, my friend, grew up long ago in a different world :)

#69 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Well, considering Shero and Bylsma put Orpik and Martin on the defense instead of Johnson and Seabrook, we could put some blame on them when they don't win the gold!

I don't think it's Bylsma's or Shero's fault that Brent Seabrook is not on Team USA (I'm sure they'd put him on if they could)......but you could blame Yzerman for leaving him off Team Canada. 

#70 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I don't think it's Bylsma's or Shero's fault that Brent Seabrook is not on Team USA (I'm sure they'd put him on if they could)......but you could blame Yzerman for leaving him off Team Canada. 

Wow, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the correction.

#71 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

I think harold's blue warning text is sexy.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#72 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think harold's blue warning text is sexy.

esteef

:lol:

I figured I'd try the blue text so people would be more likely to notice the warning.  I initially used red but then everything I posted seemed really angry.

Now back on topic please.

#73 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

I cannot believe that such a major city would have LITTER of all things. Unbelievable.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#74 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

I dont see them reneging on the Olympics, especially so close to the opening ceremonies.

And honestly, I could slap a Russian constriction sign on 75% of Detroit, Take a picture, and you'd swear I were in an active war zone....
Or pripyat.

#75 ash11

ash11

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Everybody has been talking about if players would tell the NHL to screw off, but il tell you what if the NHL pulls the plug on sochi, its for good reason, not to piss of the players. I do think players will think of their safety as well, this isnt about fighting the players on going its about safety, and the players will think about that more then a 2 week tourney Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#76 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Other countries would still figure out how to make sure their top players can play.  I could see top Euros signing 3 year contracts in the NHL, going back home for Olympic years to play for a "club" team that doesn't pay players, but coincidentally all the players have nice endorsement deals that pay them what they'd be making if they were in a "pro" league, and the players playing in the Olympics.  If the IOC says that if you play in the NHL at all, you can't go to the Olympics, I could see fewer Europeans coming here at all, and they can't say you can't get endorsements without losing all of their top athletes across the board. 

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#77 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Everybody has been talking about if players would tell the NHL to screw off, but il tell you what if the NHL pulls the plug on sochi, its for good reason, not to piss of the players. I do think players will think of their safety as well, this isnt about fighting the players on going its about safety, and the players will think about that more then a 2 week tourney Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players have already decided, that they don't want their families, girlfriends there that speaks volume to the amount of fear they and a lot of fans are having. Usually once you are selected to proudly represent your fatherland in the Olmypics the first thing an athlete would do, is get tickets for his friends, family  and book some nice hotels. You need to have a very good reason not doing something like that and sadly in this case, their reason is very well documented (I would do the same thing).

So I highly doubt, the NHLPA would see this as a slap in the face and more as a don't risk your life for 2 weeks of olympics type of thing. If something - god forbid - happens the IOC members who awarded these games to Sochi need to be held accountable.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#78 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Players have already decided, that they don't want their families, girlfriends there that speaks volume to the amount of fear they and a lot of fans are having. Usually once you are selected to proudly represent your fatherland in the Olmypics the first thing an athlete would do, is get tickets for his friends, family  and book some nice hotels. You need to have a very good reason not doing something like that and sadly in this case, their reason is very well documented (I would do the same thing).

So I highly doubt, the NHLPA would see this as a slap in the face and more as a don't risk your life for 2 weeks of olympics type of thing. If something - god forbid - happens the IOC members who awarded these games to Sochi need to be held accountable.

Yes, some have decided that. And they based their decision on pretty much the same info as the rest of us get from the media. Simply because there isn't any better info to have.

Some, however, decided to have their families and friends there. Crosby for one.

#79 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

If it isn't the best in the world, I'm not interested.

That's what she said.

(I agree.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#80 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Our Swedes are more in danger from having to play 5 games in 3 days than they are from terrorists.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk