• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

NHL may rethink Sochi

Rate this topic

I looked at all the pictures you posted before I wrote anything.

At this point, you're coming of at the very least as an apologist. The Press is swirling with reports that things aren't very good in Sochi (they're killing dogs .... you going to put a nice spin on that?).

How about some more pictures:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/olympics/media-reports-sochiproblems-olympic-village-article-1.1602530

The last thing the guy in your link says "got accosted by a 3 legged dog"

That is why they are trying to get rid of the stray dogs. Not a nice thing to do, but what's the alternative? Russia is not a rich country that can afford to house thousands of stray dogs in a humane shelter somewhere. I seriously doubt they exist anywhere outside Moscow and Sankt Peterburg. What else would you do in their place?

You are saying that you looked at the pix of rooms in my links? Can you tell me how they are different from the room in the Lysenkov video?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/sochi-on-a-shoestring-canada-s-hockey-teams-to-bunk-in-basic-dorm-style-rooms-1.1670363

Are those guys apologists too?

Seriously, I know there are many unfinished things in Sochi. What I object to is that the media over here seems to portray Sochi's shortcomings like they are something special, that wasn't present to a lesser or greater degree at all the Olympics in recent memory.

I can't help wondering, what those same people would have wrote if the same exact things were going on in an American Olympic host city.

When you show me pix of unfinished stadiums, unfinished Olympic village, unfinished hotels (that were supposed to house Olympic guests), and unfinished roads between the above, I'll take that seriously. What I saw in the pix you linked, were some random construction sites. They may have nothing whatever to do with the Olympics, as the structures looked neither like sports arenas nor hotels.

One of the pix, with the "no gas" caption, was simply a notice that an apartment building will have it's gas turned off from 10 am to 5 pm one day only for pipeline repairs. This is not new construction, and has no relation to the Olympics. Whoever took the pix made it look something that it wasn't in at least this one instance. Therefore I question their trustworthiness with regard to other pix.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/430734034113536000/photo/1

http://www.canada.com/olympics/sochi-guide/sochi-facilities-still-a-work-in-progress

I can't help wondering, what those same people would have wrote if the same exact things were going on in an American Olympic host city.

But they're not, are they. They're in a Russian city, so I'm not able to speculate.

I'm not an American, so I don't have the USA bias here ... I'm just going by what media reports I'm getting in my little part of the World, and so far cowboy, reports ain't great. It is what it is.

I'm like everyone else and hope thing go off without a hitch, but I'm not going to ignore media reports or just take the word of an internet poster.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/sochi-on-a-shoestring-canada-s-hockey-teams-to-bunk-in-basic-dorm-style-rooms-1.1670363

Are those guys apologists too?

Seriously, I know there are many unfinished things in Sochi. What I object to is that the media over here seems to portray Sochi's shortcomings like they are something special, that wasn't present to a lesser or greater degree at all the Olympics in recent memory.

I don't know if you work for russias Olympic p.r. department but you're not convincing anyone differently,

There's hundreds of reports about how bad it is, and you're comparing apple's to oranges.

No offense, I'm just saying.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the majority takes the side of it being a disgrace.

Not sure what the first link refers to.

The second is more relevant.

My question is, how much different are Sochi problems from what has gone before? IOC says 97% complete, even when corrected for their pro-Games bias, that means that fairly high proportion of work is done. I shall wait and see if those problems are indeed really bad and unusual, or are they just small details that will be fixed promptly. So we'll see what athletes and fans say when the Games begin.

I don't know if you work for russias Olympic p.r. department but you're not convincing anyone differently,

There's hundreds of reports about how bad it is, and you're comparing apple's to oranges.

No offense, I'm just saying.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the majority takes the side of it being a disgrace.

How am I comparing apples to oranges? Example please.

Here's a paragraph from the "more relevant one"

(They are reportedly now killing the numerous stray dogs here, which makes every adorable mutt you see the hero of a Disney movie, directed by Quentin Tarantino. At a press conference Tuesday, Sochi 2014 spokeswoman Alexandra Kosterina said “There is a special service that catches the stray dogs and this, as far as I know, they have a special shelter for the stray dogs, and make a medical examination of them. Like pest control.” It was not comforting.)

But the hotels are where the Russian Games are visibly straining at the seams. In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated’s Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of Sun Media was without electricity for the first day.

My Postmedia colleague Cam Cole’s bathtub came loose from the wall, and therefore rocks like a ship. He has a shower curtain, though. In the Rosa Khutor section of the mountains, Stacy St. Clair of the Chicago Tribune was told by the front desk that if the water worked, “do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous.” When it did come out of the tap, it looked like a lot like cloudy urine."

Not sure what the first link refers to.

My question is, how much different are Sochi problems from what has gone before? IOC says 97% complete, even when corrected for their pro-Games bias, that means that fairly high proportion of work is done. I shall wait and see if those problems are indeed really bad and unusual, or are they just small details that will be fixed promptly. So we'll see what athletes and fans say when the Games begin.

How am I comparing apples to oranges? Example please.

You're comparing something with bare necessities and a small amount of creature comfort to places that don't even have clean water.

Like i said, agree to disagree.

Maybe there is a tad more concern around terrorist activity since, you know, they are not only threatening...they are blowing stuff up recently.

Remember this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2013_Volgograd_bombings

and this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2013_Volgograd_bus_bombing

And then they supposedly caught/killed people involved....TODAY. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/05/volgograd-bombings-suspect-killed_n_4729910.html

People have every right to be more concerned with terrorist activity in Russia right now, because it is a very real threat.

The conditions of the hotel are just bad. Sure *it could be worse* but not having potable water or heat is a legitimate concern. The toilet situation is not exactly ideal either.

Edited by rrasco

We are talking about basic things here and if they can't even get that right than oh my. I'm starting to think this might be a tactic in order to give the russian athletes an edge. What are the other people supposed to do buy Smirnoff 24/7 instead of water and not using the shower ? Yeah the most expensive olympics ever can't even get basic things right and no, this is not an overreaction people around the world are worried about the health and safety of their national representors = athletes!

In all seriousness though, water = NO brainer same should go for electricity, elevators. If I were a journalist I'd tell my boss this isn't acceptable screw you guys I'm going home!

Edited by frankgrimes

We are talking about basic things here and if they can't even get that right than oh my. I'm starting to think this might be a tactic in order to give the russian athletes an edge. What are the other people supposed to do buy Smirnoff 24/7 instead of water and not using the shower ? Yeah the most expensive olympics ever can't even get basic things right and no, this is not an overreaction people around the world are worried about the health and safety of their national representors = athletes!

In all seriousness though, water = NO brainer same should go for electricity, elevators. If I were a journalist I'd tell my boss this isn't acceptable screw you guys I'm going home!

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/

at about 3:14 mark NPR correspondent in Sochi provides a nice perspective on all the media reports of problems.

Unless y'all think that NPR are also apologists for Russian Gov't :)

Vancouver Oly village athletes room

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/7E/3F5818FA3829B9A39A7216B1A769.jpg

London Oly village athletes room

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/120702-olympicvillage-bed.photoblog600.jpg

Beijing Oly village athletes room

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/08/05/us-olympics-village-idUSPEK27865720080805

I couldn't find contemporary photos of the Lake Placid Oly village rooms, but here's a contemporary description:

"

The Village has 937 "sleeping rooms"—later to be known as cells—which will be occupied by either two or four Olympians. The rooms have bunk beds, wardrobe and equipment lockers and a writing table and chair for each occupant. There is also a towel bar, a sink and a mirror. The majority of the rooms have one window, a tall, narrow aperture that isn't barred, but has a steel rod running down the middle of the glass to discourage escape—or, in the case of Olympic terrorists, entry. The windows are 8'10" high and 15" wide, and there is some question as to whether or not they can be opened. There also are a number of rooms that have no windows at all. The doors are made of heavy steel with small peep-windows that will be used by prison guards in the Village's next life.

The rooms are arranged in two tiers around a large, brightly decorated and carpeted "leisure area." There are sofas and banquettes, and by next winter each of these 20 or so areas will be equipped with vending machines, television sets, games and other entertainment devices. Although the rooms are tiny to the point of incipient claustrophobia—about 10' by 10'—there is an aura of pleasing spaciousness in the lounges. Toilets and community showers are down the hall."

Source: http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094796/index.htm

If the rooms were to be "stripped of a lot of their amenities", I can't imagine what they were.

Things like a disco (it was 1980 after all).

Even if the rooms are similar, it means that the 2014 Olympic village is comparable to rooms from 34 years ago in buildings predestined to be a prison in the only city who wanted to host the Winter Olympics. That's hardly an endorsement.

I wonder what the average Olympic hockey player size was in 1980 compared to now, let alone all the other sports.

To the best of my knowledge the Olympic village has always been sort of a dorm style rooms but from what I've heard these rooms are pretty spartan even by that standard.

No phones? No lights? No motorcars? Not a single luxury?

Let's hope there's plenty of bamboo.

Honestly, unless one country is singled out for better or worse treatment than the rest, they're all on the same playing field. Maybe ones from less advanced countries will benefit because they're used to a rougher existence, but the others are in the same boat... luge... whatever.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/

at about 3:14 mark NPR correspondent in Sochi provides a nice perspective on all the media reports of problems.

Unless y'all think that NPR are also apologists for Russian Gov't :)

I think you meant to link to this: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/section/radio/2014/02/05

Now that we are on the same page (no pun intended), that guy is an idiot. He even said he thought his room was appalling until he saw everyone else's and now he's going to have to guard his. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like it's not 'good' but he's not complaining because there is 'worse'. Realistically putting amenities aside (e.g. Internet, TV) not everyone has potable water. That's a realistic concern.

On a slightly different but kind of related note, he mentions how amazing everything is including the slopes. Have you seen the comments about the slopestyle? Shaun White withdrew because he said it was too dangerous to risk getting injured and missing the halfpipe.

On a completely unrelated note, it's awesome to see a Russian (you are Russian, right?) use the term "y'all".

I think you meant to link to this: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/section/radio/2014/02/05

Now that we are on the same page (no pun intended), that guy is an idiot. He even said he thought his room was appalling until he saw everyone else's and now he's going to have to guard his. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like it's not 'good' but he's not complaining because there is 'worse'. Realistically putting amenities aside (e.g. Internet, TV) not everyone has potable water. That's a realistic concern.

On a slightly different but kind of related note, he mentions how amazing everything is including the slopes. Have you seen the comments about the slopestyle? Shaun White withdrew because he said it was too dangerous to risk getting injured and missing the halfpipe.

On a completely unrelated note, it's awesome to see a Russian (you are Russian, right?) use the term "y'all".

I was born in the USSR but I lived in Memphis for a few years. Hence, y'all.

And White is a "little kitten". Plus that course is apparently going to be redone to make it softer. :)

And I don't think the NPR correspondent is an idiot. His main point was, that the construction was prioritized:

Sports venues first, athlete accomodations second (and he does say that all the athletes are happy with those)

and the hotels for the press - last. Which is very much the mindset of the Russian government. They have never been what you'd call PR savvy. It was my thought even before I heard this story, that the press got there early, and had nothing better to do than file horror stories which, in the big picture, don't matter very much.