• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#121 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Temps in Sochi are in the 80's? They should have submitted a bid on the Summer Olympics. 

That's what I said when I first heard about their bid. :)

The stated purpose of the Russian Government at the time was that after the Games were over, Sochi would be left with first class tourism infrastructure, that would enable it to reclaim its former Soviet prominence as a major resort for the Russian people.

You can take this with as much salt as you wish.

#122 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Dude is beginning to sound a lot like Baghdad Bob.

I don't see any difference. Small room, two beds, two nightstands, nothing else. If you didn't know which was which, you wouldn't guess which was Sochi.

It's three to a room in Sochi.

People have legitimate concerns based on reports from people in Sochi.

#123 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Dude is beginning to sound a lot like Baghdad Bob.

It's three to a room in Sochi.

People have legitimate concerns based on reports from people in Sochi.

Please look at the pix at the links in my post, and tell me if there's any difference between rooms in London, Vancouver, Beijing, and Sochi? The 3 bed room is not a typical room. See the video by Lysenkov that someone posted in this thread. That's what the rooms look like. Spartan, but not much different from earlier Olympics.

Edited by sibiriak, 05 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#124 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I looked at all the pictures you posted before I wrote anything.

At this point, you're coming of at the very least as an apologist. The Press is swirling with reports that things aren't very good in Sochi (they're killing dogs .... you going to put a nice spin on that?).

How about some more pictures:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1602530

Edited by stillwater, 05 February 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#125 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

You are looking at 

A) Athlete's urine samples

B) Drinking water.

A favourite:

BfnfPHAIMAAIRdk.jpg

Went to buy water, realised at last minute was big plastic bottle of gin. Then got accosted by 3-legged dog. #Sochi

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#126 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

http://www.torontosu...munity-in-sochi

Here's Toronto Sun take. Are they Baghdad Bobs too?

#127 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

http://www.torontosu...munity-in-sochi

Here's Toronto Sun take. Are they Baghdad Bobs too?

Steve Podborski is chef de mission for Sochi 2014 ... it's his job to sell Sochi to Canadian athletes.

If Canada has a Baghdad Bob, it's Stevie boy.

#128 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I looked at all the pictures you posted before I wrote anything.

At this point, you're coming of at the very least as an apologist. The Press is swirling with reports that things aren't very good in Sochi (they're killing dogs .... you going to put a nice spin on that?).

How about some more pictures:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1602530

The last thing the guy in your link says "got accosted by a 3 legged dog"

That is why they are trying to get rid of the stray dogs. Not a nice thing to do, but what's the alternative? Russia is not a rich country that can afford to house thousands of stray dogs in a humane shelter somewhere. I seriously doubt they exist anywhere outside Moscow and Sankt Peterburg. What else would you do in their place?

You are saying that you looked at the pix of rooms in my links? Can you tell me how they are different from the room in the Lysenkov video?

#129 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

http://www.ctvnews.c...rooms-1.1670363

Are those guys apologists too?

Seriously, I know there are many unfinished things in Sochi. What I object to is that the media over here seems to portray Sochi's shortcomings like they are something special, that wasn't present to a lesser or greater degree at all the Olympics in recent memory.

I can't help wondering, what those same people would have wrote if the same exact things were going on in an American Olympic host city.

#130 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

When you show me pix of unfinished stadiums, unfinished Olympic village, unfinished hotels (that were supposed to house Olympic guests), and unfinished roads between the above, I'll take that seriously. What I saw in the pix you linked, were some random construction sites. They may have nothing whatever to do with the Olympics, as the structures looked neither like sports arenas nor hotels.

One of the pix, with the "no gas" caption, was simply a notice that an apartment building will have it's gas turned off from 10 am to 5 pm one day only for pipeline repairs. This is not new construction, and has no relation to the Olympics. Whoever took the pix made it look something that it wasn't in at least this one instance. Therefore I question their trustworthiness with regard to other pix.

https://twitter.com/...3536000/photo/1

http://www.canada.co...ork-in-progress

#131 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

I can't help wondering, what those same people would have wrote if the same exact things were going on in an American Olympic host city.

But they're not, are they. They're in a Russian city, so I'm not able to speculate.

I'm not an American, so I don't have the USA bias here ... I'm just going by what media reports I'm getting in my little part of the World, and so far cowboy, reports ain't great. It is what it is.

I'm like everyone else and hope thing go off without a hitch, but I'm not going to ignore media reports or just take the word of an internet poster.

#132 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

http://www.ctvnews.c...rooms-1.1670363
Are those guys apologists too?

Seriously, I know there are many unfinished things in Sochi. What I object to is that the media over here seems to portray Sochi's shortcomings like they are something special, that wasn't present to a lesser or greater degree at all the Olympics in recent memory.

I don't know if you work for russias Olympic p.r. department but you're not convincing anyone differently,
There's hundreds of reports about how bad it is, and you're comparing apple's to oranges.
No offense, I'm just saying.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the majority takes the side of it being a disgrace.

#133 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Not sure what the first link refers to.

The second is more relevant.

My question is, how much different are Sochi problems from what has gone before? IOC says 97% complete, even when corrected for their pro-Games bias, that means that fairly high proportion of work is done. I shall wait and see if those problems are indeed really bad and unusual, or are they just small details that will be fixed promptly. So we'll see what athletes and fans say when the Games begin.

I don't know if you work for russias Olympic p.r. department but you're not convincing anyone differently,
There's hundreds of reports about how bad it is, and you're comparing apple's to oranges.
No offense, I'm just saying.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and the majority takes the side of it being a disgrace.

How am I comparing apples to oranges? Example please.

#134 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Here's a paragraph from the "more relevant one"

(They are reportedly now killing the numerous stray dogs here, which makes every adorable mutt you see the hero of a Disney movie, directed by Quentin Tarantino. At a press conference Tuesday, Sochi 2014 spokeswoman Alexandra Kosterina said “There is a special service that catches the stray dogs and this, as far as I know, they have a special shelter for the stray dogs, and make a medical examination of them. Like pest control.” It was not comforting.)

But the hotels are where the Russian Games are visibly straining at the seams. In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated’s Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of Sun Media was without electricity for the first day.

My Postmedia colleague Cam Cole’s bathtub came loose from the wall, and therefore rocks like a ship. He has a shower curtain, though. In the Rosa Khutor section of the mountains, Stacy St. Clair of the Chicago Tribune was told by the front desk that if the water worked, “do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous.” When it did come out of the tap, it looked like a lot like cloudy urine."

#135 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Not sure what the first link refers to.
My question is, how much different are Sochi problems from what has gone before? IOC says 97% complete, even when corrected for their pro-Games bias, that means that fairly high proportion of work is done. I shall wait and see if those problems are indeed really bad and unusual, or are they just small details that will be fixed promptly. So we'll see what athletes and fans say when the Games begin.

How am I comparing apples to oranges? Example please.

You're comparing something with bare necessities and a small amount of creature comfort to places that don't even have clean water.
Like i said, agree to disagree.

#136 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

If only they had some time to plan for this Olympics. I can't believe they told them last week that this is where the games were going to be.

#137 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

No hot water, no electricity, no heat? 

ym50318712.jpg

Edited by evilmrt, 05 February 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#138 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Maybe there is a tad more concern around terrorist activity since, you know, they are not only threatening...they are blowing stuff up recently.

Remember this?  http://en.wikipedia....gograd_bombings

and this?  http://en.wikipedia....rad_bus_bombing

And then they supposedly caught/killed people involved....TODAY.  http://www.huffingto..._n_4729910.html

People have every right to be more concerned with terrorist activity in Russia right now, because it is a very real threat.

The conditions of the hotel are just bad.  Sure *it could be worse* but not having potable water or heat is a legitimate concern.  The toilet situation is not exactly ideal either.

Edited by rrasco, 05 February 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#139 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

We are talking about basic things here and if they can't even get that right than oh my. I'm starting to think this might be a tactic in order to give the russian athletes an edge. What are the other people supposed to do buy Smirnoff 24/7 instead of water and not using the shower ? Yeah the most expensive olympics ever can't even get basic things right and no, this is not an overreaction people around the world are worried about the health and safety of their national representors = athletes!

In all seriousness though, water = NO brainer same should go for electricity, elevators. If I were a journalist I'd tell my boss this isn't acceptable screw you guys I'm going home!

Edited by frankgrimes, 05 February 2014 - 02:40 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#140 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

I'm already convinced that these will be, at least, the most entertaining Games of my lifetime. Even if no events are held.