• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#141 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

We are talking about basic things here and if they can't even get that right than oh my. I'm starting to think this might be a tactic in order to give the russian athletes an edge. What are the other people supposed to do buy Smirnoff 24/7 instead of water and not using the shower ? Yeah the most expensive olympics ever can't even get basic things right and no, this is not an overreaction people around the world are worried about the health and safety of their national representors = athletes!

In all seriousness though, water = NO brainer same should go for electricity, elevators. If I were a journalist I'd tell my boss this isn't acceptable screw you guys I'm going home!

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/

at about 3:14 mark NPR correspondent in Sochi provides a nice perspective on all the media reports of problems.

Unless y'all think that NPR are also apologists for Russian Gov't :)

#142 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Vancouver Oly village athletes room

http://blu.stb.s-msn...A7216B1A769.jpg

London Oly village athletes room

http://msnbcmedia.ms...hotoblog600.jpg

Beijing Oly village athletes room

http://www.reuters.c...K27865720080805

I couldn't find contemporary photos of the Lake Placid Oly village rooms, but here's a contemporary description:

"

The Village has 937 "sleeping rooms"—later to be known as cells—which will be occupied by either two or four Olympians. The rooms have bunk beds, wardrobe and equipment lockers and a writing table and chair for each occupant. There is also a towel bar, a sink and a mirror. The majority of the rooms have one window, a tall, narrow aperture that isn't barred, but has a steel rod running down the middle of the glass to discourage escape—or, in the case of Olympic terrorists, entry. The windows are 8'10" high and 15" wide, and there is some question as to whether or not they can be opened. There also are a number of rooms that have no windows at all. The doors are made of heavy steel with small peep-windows that will be used by prison guards in the Village's next life.

The rooms are arranged in two tiers around a large, brightly decorated and carpeted "leisure area." There are sofas and banquettes, and by next winter each of these 20 or so areas will be equipped with vending machines, television sets, games and other entertainment devices. Although the rooms are tiny to the point of incipient claustrophobia—about 10' by 10'—there is an aura of pleasing spaciousness in the lounges. Toilets and community showers are down the hall."

Source: http://si.com/vault/...94796/index.htm

If the rooms were to be "stripped of a lot of their amenities", I can't imagine what they were.

Things like a disco  (it was 1980 after all).

Even if the rooms are similar, it means that the 2014 Olympic village is comparable to rooms from 34 years ago in buildings predestined to be a prison in the only city who wanted to host the Winter Olympics.  That's hardly an endorsement.

I wonder what the average Olympic hockey player size was in 1980 compared to now, let alone all the other sports.

To the best of my knowledge the Olympic village has always been sort of a dorm style rooms but from what I've heard these rooms are pretty spartan even by that standard.

#143 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Are there IKEAs in Russia?

From the looks of those rooms, they won't stand a chance against Team USA.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#144 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

No phones? No lights? No motorcars? Not a single luxury?

Let's hope there's plenty of bamboo.

Honestly, unless one country is singled out for better or worse treatment than the rest, they're all on the same playing field.  Maybe ones from less advanced countries will benefit because they're used to a rougher existence, but the others are in the same boat... luge... whatever.

#145 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

they can make tea with that kettle thing the curlers chase down the ice with brooms.  ^_^

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#146 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/

at about 3:14 mark NPR correspondent in Sochi provides a nice perspective on all the media reports of problems.

Unless y'all think that NPR are also apologists for Russian Gov't :)

I think you meant to link to this: http://hereandnow.wb...adio/2014/02/05

Now that we are on the same page (no pun intended), that guy is an idiot.  He even said he thought his room was appalling until he saw everyone else's and now he's going to have to guard his.  I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like it's not 'good' but he's not complaining because there is 'worse'.  Realistically putting amenities aside (e.g. Internet, TV) not everyone has potable water.  That's a realistic concern.

On a slightly different but kind of related note, he mentions how amazing everything is including the slopes.  Have you seen the comments about the slopestyle?  Shaun White withdrew because he said it was too dangerous to risk getting injured and missing the halfpipe.

On a completely unrelated note, it's awesome to see a Russian (you are Russian, right?) use the term "y'all".

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#147 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

I think you meant to link to this: http://hereandnow.wb...adio/2014/02/05

Now that we are on the same page (no pun intended), that guy is an idiot.  He even said he thought his room was appalling until he saw everyone else's and now he's going to have to guard his.  I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like it's not 'good' but he's not complaining because there is 'worse'.  Realistically putting amenities aside (e.g. Internet, TV) not everyone has potable water.  That's a realistic concern.

On a slightly different but kind of related note, he mentions how amazing everything is including the slopes.  Have you seen the comments about the slopestyle?  Shaun White withdrew because he said it was too dangerous to risk getting injured and missing the halfpipe.

On a completely unrelated note, it's awesome to see a Russian (you are Russian, right?) use the term "y'all".

I was born in the USSR but I lived in Memphis for a few years. Hence, y'all.

And White is a "little kitten". Plus that course is apparently going to be redone to make it softer. :)

And I don't think the NPR correspondent is an idiot. His main point was, that the construction was prioritized:

Sports venues first, athlete accomodations second (and he does say that all the athletes are happy with those)

and the hotels for the press - last. Which is very much the mindset of the Russian government. They have never been what you'd call PR savvy. It was my thought even before I heard this story, that the press got there early, and had nothing better to do than file horror stories which, in the big picture, don't matter very much.

#148 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Saw this on Twitter. 

BfqBSryIEAEKHVU.jpg

They're better off buying tents and sleeping outside. I feel bad for Weber having to sleep in one of these beds.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#149 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

looks comfy enough

#150 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

http://happyplace.so...eady-a-disaster

doesnt look much better around sochi...

#151 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

I wonder if they stack so Toews and Keith can have their bunk beds like they do in Chicago. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#152 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:32 AM

As an American I say I hope they wake up after a terrible nights sleep with sore backs....USA USA USA USA!

#153 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:44 AM

I wonder what the Russian women's curling team beds look like, since that's where they'll probably be spending most of their time.

Posted Image

#154 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

I wonder what the Russian women's curling team beds look like, since that's where they'll probably be spending most of their time.

They should be so lucky. That's the Russian curling team captain.

20120401185622.jpg

#155 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

I guess the problem is, it's not just press sending pictures.  It's athletes too.

Putting all of the other things aside.  What's your take on the water situation?  Do you find that acceptable?

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#156 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

I guess the problem is, it's not just press sending pictures.  It's athletes too.

Putting all of the other things aside.  What's your take on the water situation?  Do you find that acceptable?

I only have 1 data point about the water situation.

The same pic with yellow water in two glasses.

I have no idea how widespread it is.

When I lived in Russia (nowhere near Sochi), sometimes we would get rusty colored water from the pipes, after the pipes were shutdown for maintenance/repair. After we let it run for 5 min, the water would be fine. I would think the same thing could happen in a brand new hotel building.

However I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

As an aside, in Kirtland, eastern suburb of Cleveland, the water is yelowish and full of iron, but safe to drink. Could be something like that in Sochi too. But again, I would need more data. 

#157 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

One of the benefits of the Olympics is, ostensibly, to act as positive PR for the host nation in general, and as a sort of two-week tourism promo for the host city in particular. So far, by all accounts, Russia and Sochi do not deserve those benefits. I think bad publicity regarding the awful accommodations is a good thing in that it ensures that future host countries won't try and pull the same nonsense next time.

#158 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I only have 1 data point about the water situation.

The same pic with yellow water in two glasses.

I have no idea how widespread it is.

When I lived in Russia (nowhere near Sochi), sometimes we would get rusty colored water from the pipes, after the pipes were shutdown for maintenance/repair. After we let it run for 5 min, the water would be fine. I would think the same thing could happen in a brand new hotel building.

However I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

As an aside, in Kirtland, eastern suburb of Cleveland, the water is yelowish and full of iron, but safe to drink. Could be something like that in Sochi too. But again, I would need more data. 

This is true.  If the statement from the hotel front desk was true about dangerous stuff being in there, then that's bad.  I don't know how widespread it is either.  Let's just say if that came out of my hotel faucet at any point, I wouldn't be in contact with water there for the duration of my stay.  I'd rather bathe with bottled Gin.

However, it's not like nobody else has occasional water problems (look at West Virginia right now).

#159 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

This is true.  If the statement from the hotel front desk was true about dangerous stuff being in there, then that's bad.  I don't know how widespread it is either.  Let's just say if that came out of my hotel faucet at any point, I wouldn't be in contact with water there for the duration of my stay.  I'd rather bathe with bottled Gin.

However, it's not like nobody else has occasional water problems (look at West Virginia right now).

No, that's gonna sting. What you do is dilute gin with tap water 1 to 4, then it is safe to bathe or drink. :)

One of the benefits of the Olympics is, ostensibly, to act as positive PR for the host nation in general, and as a sort of two-week tourism promo for the host city in particular. So far, by all accounts, Russia and Sochi do not deserve those benefits. I think bad publicity regarding the awful accommodations is a good thing in that it ensures that future host countries won't try and pull the same nonsense next time.

Yeah, the lesson being that the next host city better build and fully furnish 5-star hotels for the international press, before they even lay the first stone into the ice rink foundation.

#160 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

You can be in denial all you want, and your sarcastic answers aren't winning anyone over.

The fact is Sochi thus far is a disaster. There's not some concerted joint conspiracy effort to taint the World's image of Russia.