• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

The problem with being sellers is, we don't have a lot of guys contenders would want and they are the ones willing to overpay the most.

Maybe Alfie and a second to the Hawks for Bickel? Although I'm still pissed at him he provides size with is a bit overpaid but should me manageable.

The problem with being sellers is, we don't have a lot of guys contenders would want and they are the ones willing to overpay the most. Maybe Alfie and a second to the Hawks for Bickel? Although I'm still pissed at him he provides size with is a bit overpaid but should me manageable.

No way we're sellers now. We are currently in the playoffs should be fresh and healthy after the Olympics.

I say we do something low risk. Pursue a guy like Smyth or maybe a guy like Sarich. Late pick for a motivated vet.

Holland didn't even make trades when we had cap space and need. He didn't even make a trade when Lidstrom was on his last legs.

If anything, we should explore the option of being sellers at the deadline. Alfie, Franzen and maybe Andersson or Kindl/Smith.

If the Wings could get a 1st round pick out of the trade deadline, and trade up to a top 10 pick in next year's draft (two firsts for a top 10), I wouldn't be against it. I think it could be a pretty modest way to get a solid player who could potentially be a franchise type of guy, especially considering the going-rate of 1st round picks in previous seasons' trade deadlines.

I say we do something low risk.

Seems like the only realistic option. We've got no cap space and precious few tradable roster players. And we're not genuine contenders, so it's not like we'd be going hard after the big-name rentals anyway.

It couldn't hurt to add a body who is at least an NHL caliber player to help us out, too much dead weight (Cleary/Quincey) and the walking wounded right now. Holland will sit on his hands and hope for injured guys to come back, but that might not be enough, and even if it is, might be too late by the time they're all healthy.

Taking a look, 3 teams are clearly out of it. Buffalo, Calgary and Edmonton. Among guys I could see being available that could help us.. (Not sure the price, or the want, but they'd be better then watching Dano fall over himself every night and Q fire pucks into the corner when the net is empty)

Edmonton - Gagner/Smyth/Petry/Potter
Buffalo - Moulson/Ott/Stafford/Ehrhoff
Calgary - Backlund/Cammalleri/Smid/Russell

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

As much as I tend to think that at some point Holland will crack and really get his hands dirty making moves in the cap era, perhaps for better or for worse, I don't really believe it will happen anytime soon. I don't think the prices will be right and I don't think we have the assets to move in order to bring in anyone meaningful. We've got quality role players that we literally haven't been able to give away this year. What makes anyone think they're suddenly going to have trade value? We can't/won't move any of the better players we have. I just don't see much happening this year, nor do I see us having a big off-season.

I really think our best case scenario as far as "deadline moves" as Holland defines them is getting Weiss back and him actually getting things going and if Franzen isn't out for the year. That's a rough best-case...

As much as I tend to think that at some point Holland will crack and really get his hands dirty making moves in the cap era, perhaps for better or for worse, I don't really believe it will happen anytime soon. I don't think the prices will be right and I don't think we have the assets to move in order to bring in anyone meaningful. We've got quality role players that we literally haven't been able to give away this year. What makes anyone think they're suddenly going to have trade value? We can't/won't move any of the better players we have. I just don't see much happening this year, nor do I see us having a big off-season.

I really think our best case scenario as far as "deadline moves" as Holland defines them is getting Weiss back and him actually getting things going and if Franzen isn't out for the year. That's a rough best-case...

The one thing we have going for us, asset-wise, is our prospect pool. We have one of the better collections in the league. Jurco, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Ouellet, Sproul - it's good stuff. Of course, we also kind of need as many good kids in the pipeline as we can get. Tough situation.

That probably won't do it. If I'm a GM trading a top D, I want Sproul or Ouellet too.

Agreed. If we're going to have a chance at a really big name, we're probably going to have to part with Sproul or Ouellet, even if it's a forward we're bringing in.

I personally don't think our chances of winning the cup are great so I wouldn't even consider giving up any of our top 10 prospects (from what I see on redwingscentral)and I wouldn't touch mattias janmark either .....there's just so much upside there to even risk losing it

I'd stay away from the players that would cost us a lot vanek/moulson etc ... And go for grinder type veteran forward(ott) and/or veteran d man

For now I'd call up marchenko he's played really well with the griffins , played with men in the khl and Babcock praised him in his 1 game here ... I know he just has 1 nhl game but I think he could be really good paired with dekeyser and then we see what happens at the deadline

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I still think Ott might be interesting. He'd probably have to play wing, but he can play all three forward positions, so that wouldn't really be an issue.

You'd like to see us do better than Steve Ott. But I just don't see it. Maybe an Ales Hemsky (can't have too much scoring depth), but it's doubtful.

Actually, re: Hemsky/EDM - Why wouldn't "Mac-T" be interested in Kindl and Quincey? Each is a defenseman with two arms and two legs. That'd be a major upgrade for the Oil, no?

Then again, parting with either Kindl or Quincey would put our already iffy D corps back an NHL defenseman, unless we'd be getting a defenseman in return.

I'd trade Kindl to the Jets for Stuart and offer a package of Almqvist, Pulkkinen and Andersson for Bogosian.

I'd offer the Flyers McKee, Cleary and Ferraro for Brayden Schenn. McKee fits their mould, they wanted Cleary in the offseason so they can have him and Ferraro could fit there as well as a 4th line C.

After that, I'd simply make the playoffs and possibly win the Cup, and the rest they say, is history.

I'd trade Kindl to the Jets for Stuart and offer a package of Almqvist, Pulkkinen and Andersson for Bogosian.

I'd offer the Flyers McKee, Cleary and Ferraro for Brayden Schenn. McKee fits their mould, they wanted Cleary in the offseason so they can have him and Ferraro could fit there as well as a 4th line C.

After that, I'd simply make the playoffs and possibly win the Cup, and the rest they say, is history.

So in other words you want good players for garbage. Cool.