• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Dustin Byfuglien

Age 28

Height: 6-5 Weight: 265lbs

Shoots: R

NHL Seasons: 8

GP - 55

G - 12

A - 28

Pts - 40

+/- -16

Hits - 130

On contract till 2015-16 for 5.2 Million.

I'm not going to state what goes the other way as i don't want to speculate, but he is a player that I think could fit. Obviously we have to work on that +/-. He is under 30, shoots right, he is big, he has twice the hits of any Detroit dman. As demonstrated in the playoffs when Chicago won the cup the one year with him he can put up points and he absolutely dominated in front of the net in the playoffs that one year so he is versatile.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/dustin-byfuglien/

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has been working the phones. The Jets are playing better under Paul Maurice, but they are still talking to teams about potential deals. Jets trade options include:Andrew Ladd, Evander KaneandDustin Byfuglien. The Jets may only move one of those players

He's also fat and bad defensively. I'd rather see one if our prospects up full time.

Edited by DickieDunn

A top 4 defencemen, the wings have plenty of forwards to move. Obviously LGWs totally overvalues our s*** but players like andersson or tartar have value.

Tatar is one of the young guys I wouldn't want to trade. I would keep him over Nyquist, though I like both players.

You don't trade Datsyuk. Around the league he is the PLAYERS choice for best player in the league. If ANYONE is going to want to come here and play, it's to be able to play with Datsyuk, not Zetterberg. I'm sorry, Zetterberg is a star, but he is an average star, there are a bunch of players in the NHL that I would rather have on this team than Zetterberg. Pav, is a Superstar, there is nobody in this league that is a better complete NHL superstar, and nobody you could offer me that I would trade him for...

I am not saying trade Zetterberg either, but if it came down to another "choice," Zetterberg would be the one to go everyday of the week.

This post reminds me of the days before Yzerman won a Cup. There was a poll where he wasn't rated in the top 50 players. Was absolute nonsense. I think a lot of people overlooked him at the time because he was behind other guys in points--Gretz, Lemieux, Messier. But the naysayers have come around and given Stevie his due.

Similar can be said today of Z. He may not be as flashy as Dats. He may not score as many points as Crosby. But Zetterberg is the heart of the team. He wills the Wings to win, even with defensemen draped over his aching back. Zetterberg is much more than an "average star." He is everything a team captain should be. He epitomizes grit, determination, and the warrior spirit sports fan like to talk about so much. (He's Daniel Cleary x3!) He is much more important to the Red Wings than Datsyuk (who is also an incredible player but in different ways).

He's also fat and bad defensively. I'd rather see one if our prospects up full time.

I mentioned we would have to work on the +/- . But how much of that is due to the team he is on?

And for a fat guy he is outscoring our D men, out hitting our D men, plays more ice time than any Detroit player... so ya. I would think the fitness level of our players would rub off on him but he seems to be doing okay.

+/- is a crap stat and that's not why I said he's bad defensively. He's bad because he has no defensive awareness and is more interested in scoring. Unless he wants to move to wing I'd rather move back in with my ex-wife than have him in Detroit.

Detroit would be a better team with Datsyuk and Stamkos than Zetterberg and Stamkos. Although both teams would be VERY good with either of those combos. Zetterberg NOR Datsyuk are being traded so this is all for fun, but what will be fun is if/when Holland gets that type of scorer to play on the same lilne with BOTH Zetterberg and Datsyuk...and that is a major missing piece that Holland needs to address this summer...

Moving to the D. Some folks here say that the Wings aren't ONE superstar defenseman away from the Stanley Cup, but if you look at our Stanley Cup winning teams, each and every one of those teams had ONE superstar defenseman and 5-6 solid others. (outside of 1997 when Vladdy was here and Lids was just becoming a superstar)

1997 - Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Fetisov, Murphy, Ward, Pushor, Rouse (Dandenault was still a RW)

1998 - Lidstrom, Murphy, Fetisov, Rouse, Mironov, Eriksson, Macoun (Dandenault was still a RW)

2002 - Lidstrom, Dandenault, Chelios, Duchesne, Fischer, Olausson (Krupp, Slegr)

2008 - Lidstrom, Chelios, Kronwall, Lebda, Rafalski, Stuart, Lilja

The common here is ONE superstar and a group of level B solid defenders. Right now we have a whole D corps of level B-C defenders

Kronwall - Ericsson - Dekeyser - Smith those four will be your solid group of level B defenders, we NEED that superstar to anchor this team for the next 6-8 years+.

SUPERSTAR - Kronwall

Ericsson - Dekeyser

Smith - B defender

C Defender

That's the key on D.

superstar-o.gif

There are about 18 threads I could post this in.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/01/red_wings_ken_holland_not_much.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-redwings+(Detroit+Red+Wings+-+MLive.com)

“The phone is ringing a little bit; I’m calling a little bit,” Holland said. “With the Olympic break coming, I don’t sense a lot of activity.

“I talked to a few managers the last few days; there’s not much going on.”

“We have to play our way into being a buyer,” Holland said. “There’s no use spending assets unless we play our way into a buyer position.”

“Nobody is moving superstars,” Holland said. “Those people, for the most part, are getting signed by their teams.

“If we get Pav, Z, Franzen, Weiss back, we’re a deeper team.”

“We like our kids,” Holland said. “I don’t know that there’s players available on the market that are better than the kids we got.”

“We like our team kids”

Edited by rick zombo

Holland won't make any moves as there is too much cap space coming up for the next season. The prospects are proving to be too invaluable to move as well. The Wings need a 1-2 RH D to QB the PP and another RH D in the 3-4 pairing. If you have been watching any games this season the lack of a RH D has been pointed out several times due to the breakouts against the Wings leaving the goalie hung out..

I suppose somebody can comment upon my observations from there but that is the reality of the situation.

Holland won't make any moves as there is too much cap space coming up for the next season. The prospects are proving to be too invaluable to move as well. The Wings need a 1-2 RH D to QB the PP and another RH D in the 3-4 pairing. If you have been watching any games this season the lack of a RH D has been pointed out several times due to the breakouts against the Wings leaving the goalie hung out..

I suppose somebody can comment upon my observations from there but that is the reality of the situation.

I wouldn't mind a Jason Woolley skill level for the PP. He wasn't great defensively but he could move the puck, and that is really what we need right now. Someone who could make a good crisp pass, just what the Red Wings puck possession style needs.

From that article, the only person worth a darn from that list of rumored players is Vanek. Moulson was a product of having great chemistry with Tavares, Ott hell no, Hemsky would be another player on our IR list, Cammalleri is not what he use to be... same can be said for the rest of the guys on that list.

It wouldn't make sense for the Wings to go into buyer mode, try to unload some dead weight and to into next season with a ton of capspace.

That said I'm so sick of hearing Holland talking about the return of injured players as an acquisition, they are already on the team improvement means you are bringing in guys from the outside to improve the club.

My prediction it will be a very quiet dead line safe for Vanek and Miller there is nothing available.

I truly believe nothing will happen because all teams will try to rape the Wings, business as usual. Very little will happen this UFA because Holland will not outbid another team for a player he NEEDS. So with that, I can only hope that Cleary is NOT re-signed, Bertuzzi is NOT re-signed and Quincey is NOT re-signed. I hope Alfie retires and then we just go in house with all the kids and start building the next Dynasty. I just hope one of these kids can be that sniper that Datsyuk yearns for, because he did sign to play 3 more years in hopes to win another Championship and I would hate to waste those years, because he probably will retire after...

Just seeing Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, and Cleary leave will open plenty of cap space. They 13 forwards and 6 7 who are either signed or RFAs going into next year who are not waiver eligible. That doesn't include Jurco or Glendening. Sheahan will be on the roster. Callahan will almost certainly be on the roster. Ferraro has an outside chance depending on what else they do. Glendening has almost no chance because he's waiver eligible. Jurco's status will depend on what they do in free agency. Almquist is almost certainly gone. They can sign one free agent forward or make a trade to bring one in, and roll with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-UFA/trade target

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Sheahan

Miller-Andersson-Abdelkader

Callahan, Ferraro reserves

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Dekeyser

Kindl-Marchenko or another rookie

Lashoff reserve

I'd be happy with that roster. Arrange them however you want.

I truly believe nothing will happen because all teams will try to rape the Wings, business as usual. Very little will happen this UFA because Holland will not outbid another team for a player he NEEDS. So with that, I can only hope that Cleary is NOT re-signed, Bertuzzi is NOT re-signed and Quincey is NOT re-signed. I hope Alfie retires and then we just go in house with all the kids and start building the next Dynasty. I just hope one of these kids can be that sniper that Datsyuk yearns for, because he did sign to play 3 more years in hopes to win another Championship and I would hate to waste those years, because he probably will retire after...

The problem is there's not likely to be any players they NEED out there, and even if there are, giving Vanek $40 mil for 6 years just because someone else offer $38 mil over 6 years, or paying a 40 point winger $23 mil over 5 years is kind of stupid. you're implying that not doing so would be some kind of failure on Holland's part. It would be a lot smarter to just roll with the kids.

Moulson was a product of having great chemistry with Tavares

Actually, not necessarily. He showed he could score while playing with pretty much anyone on the Isles. (Babs isn't the only one who put likes putting his lines in a blender.) And, what I really like about him - he can score in a variety of ways. It's not like he's always tipping pucks in or on the back door waiting for some superstar's patented pass.

You don't score thirty goals three seasons in a row just because you have great chemistry with someone. IMHO. (OK, fine, maybe that's a little dishonest. But I've watched Moulson play. I think he's a goal scorer, with or without Tavares.)

And there's really nothing wrong with Ott. You hate him, but that's exactly the point. He's a "super-pest." He'd automatically be the most gritty, physical player on our team, by a very wide margin. He'd make us harder to play against.

Just seeing Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, and Cleary leave will open plenty of cap space. They 13 forwards and 6 7 who are either signed or RFAs going into next year who are not waiver eligible. That doesn't include Jurco or Glendening. Sheahan will be on the roster. Callahan will almost certainly be on the roster. Ferraro has an outside chance depending on what else they do. Glendening has almost no chance because he's waiver eligible. Jurco's status will depend on what they do in free agency. Almquist is almost certainly gone. They can sign one free agent forward or make a trade to bring one in, and roll with:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-UFA/trade target

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Sheahan

Miller-Andersson-Abdelkader

Callahan, Ferraro reserves

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Dekeyser

Kindl-Marchenko or another rookie

Lashoff reserve

I'd be happy with that roster. Arrange them however you want.

You'd put Sheahan on the wing? I'd considered this. Andersson wouldn't have to be cheated out of a spot.

Actually, not necessarily. He showed he could score while playing with pretty much anyone on the Isles. (Babs isn't the only one who put likes putting his lines in a blender.) And, what I really like about him - he can score in a variety of ways. It's not like he's always tipping pucks in or on the back door waiting for some superstar's patented pass.

You don't score thirty goals three seasons in a row just because you have great chemistry with someone. IMHO. (OK, fine, maybe that's a little dishonest. But I've watched Moulson play. I think he's a goal scorer, with or without Tavares.)

And there's really nothing wrong with Ott. You hate him, but that's exactly the point. He's a "super-pest." He'd automatically be the most gritty, physical player on our team, by a very wide margin. He'd make us harder to play against.

Agreed, it's obviously easier to play with Tavares and your numbers will inflate a bit. But Moulson is the real deal. Guy can flat out score.

Still don't want him though...the price is wrong.

Why couldn't we trade Franzen, Jurco and a mid round pick for Vanek? Good big body established scorer (when he plays) in Franzen and a promising young prospect with lots of potential? If I'm off base or uninformed just tell me because I'm new here. Just a thought

Edited by SerenityNow

Why couldn't we trade Franzen, Jurco and a mid round pick for Vanek? Good big body established scorer (when he plays) in Franzen and a promising young prospect with lots of potential? If I'm off base or uninformed just tell me because I'm new here. Just a thought

The obvious reason, not even Snow would take the deal. He knows fairly well, that Vanek is the big fish and he still has two options here: 1 trasde deadline 2 draft day. Garth has to get this thing right, he paid a lot for Vanek and if the Isles can't re-sign him he has to get the maximum value back for an unsigned Vanek (not an easy task mind you).

Jurco while promising is still very much and unproven prospect in the eyes of many GMs. Secondly, a mid round pick would not entice the Isles one bit and the Mule is well a buyout candidate alongside Weiss this off season. So the offer would have to be a lot better we are talking about something like Tatar + 1 first rounder for an unsigned Vanek, who could then walk on July 1. So if the Wings want him it would be wise to wait till July first and make him the best offer possible will it be enough ? Who knows, because the guy will have a lot of offers and options.

Edited by frankgrimes

If you're talking about this season, there's two big issues: 1) he's on an expiring contract, so he'd be a rental (would probably bolt for a different team in the offseason. And I doubt we win the Cup while he's here), and 2) we'd have to clear a fair amount of cap space (more than what Franzen and Jurco would free up). Also: Franzen's going to be very hard to move because of his contract, age, and health concerns, while Jurco is potentially a Hossa-level star in the making, i.e. he's not getting moved.

Oh yeah, and Snow probably wouldn't make that deal. At the very least, that pick would have to be our first-rounder.

(BTW, welcome to the boards, SerenityNow!)

Gotcha. My thought process was that hopefully Snow would want to get SOMETHING for Vanek if he's unable to resign him. I believe Franzen despite the issues we have with him would entice Snow based on past accomplishments and I just picked Jurco because he's a good prospect that is be most comfortable parting with.. What I mean by that is I love Nyquist and Tatar so far and I'm really excited about Mantha. The pick is neither here nor there, throw a 1st in there I don't care just because the draft isn't very deep this year. I'm not up on all the cap stuff so I can't say anything about that. Like I said, it was just a thought.

Edit: thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for a while, just thought it was time to join lol

Edited by SerenityNow

The obvious reason, not even Snow would take the deal. He knows fairly well, that Vanek is the big fish and he still has two options here: 1 trasde deadline 2 draft day. Garth has to get this thing right, he paid a lot for Vanek and if the Isles can't re-sign him he has to get the maximum value back for an unsigned Vanek (not an easy task mind you).

Jurco while promising is still very much and unproven prospect in the eyes of many GMs. Secondly, a mid round pick would not entice the Isles one bit and the Mule is well a buyout candidate alongside Weiss this off season. So the offer would have to be a lot better we are talking about something like Tatar + 1 first rounder for an unsigned Vanek, who could then walk on July 1. So if the Wings want him it would be wise to wait till July first and make him the best offer possible will it be enough ? Who knows, because the guy will have a lot of offers and options.

Good point about Snow. Not that his job is ever in jeopardy, of course, but I have to think he and everyone else knows this Vanek situation is basically impossible to screw up. It's an easy win-win: Vanek stays, or you get a king's ransom for him. If Snow were to somehow drop the ball on that...maybe, for the first time, his job really would be in jeopardy.

Snow will undoubtedly trade him if they don't get something done by the deadline to keep him there. I'm not going to give up much to get a guy on an expiring contract who looks like he wants to test the market. Vanek isn't going to put the wings over the top, especially if they trade Franzen to get him, and Jurco could very well be as good or better in 2 years.