• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I say we delay the retirement of #5 and get Swede to play a half season and the playoffs... if only hockey players were like Brett Farve

I know what you mean, I wish he'd come back too. Also I'm a Packer fan, so what you're saying is you want Lidstrom to go play a season in Dallas then sign with the Blackhawks after? :confused:

I love me some Ryan Callahan, but even I'll tell you 49/7 is loo-dic-rous. If I were Glen Sather, I'd tell him to get the hell of my team immediately, and I'd probably call him a no-good pinko commie, while smoking a 60-million-dollar cigar. Because I'm Glen Sather.

I could get on board with Alex Edler or Visnovsky.

Vancouver wouldn't take Sammy back though, I wouldn't think. I know he had success there with the twins one year, but he is older and slower now...I wouldn't be opposed to offering him to them though!

I also would love Booth or Burrows on this team...

to VAN: Temmu Pulkkinen, Joakim Andersson, Landon Ferraro, Jakub Kindl, 2014 1st. (Sammy if they'd take him)

to DET: Alexander Edler, David Booth (or Burrows,) 2014 2nd.

also:

to NYI: Kyle Quincey, Adam Amqvist

to DET: Lubomir Visnovsky

Post deadline roster:

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Booth (or Burrows) - Helm - Alfredsson

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

MIller - Glendening - Abdelkader

Eaves

Edler - Kronwall

Visnovsky - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff

:lol: Then I wake up. This scenario requires too much movement, it also includes waiving Cleary and Bertuzzi along with putting Franzen on LTIR. Something like this may work in the off season, but this season it's too much of a fantasy trade...oh well.

The issue with Edler is two-fold: he's probably not getting moved (at least not this season), and, if he does get moved, it's going to be for a heavy return. He's struggled this season**, sure, but so has pretty much every other Canuck. At the end of the day, Edler's an established top-four defenseman, a high-end talent, a huge part of the Cancks' blue line and team as a whole.

We should probably be focusing more on potential bargains. That's sort of my thinking with Visnovsky. I've heard he might be available and at a not-unreasonable price, because everyone not named Tavares or Okposo might be available at a not-unreasonable price. I'd like "Lubo" because he can move the puck and QB the PP.

**(I suppose you could count this as a third issue.)

I dunno if everyone here realizes this or not (I didn't know it until a couple nights ago), but the Canucks are battling for a playoff spot, much like us. So, if Gillis moves a key player, it'll probably be for a heavy return. And if the key player in question is a staple of the Canucks' top four, the heavy return will probably be or include a pretty solid defenseman. Maybe Quincey or Kindl, but, in that case, there'd have to be much more to it than Pulkkinen/Andersson and a 1st. That's how I see it, at least.

Edited by Dabura

Canucks Defense, when healthy, is pretty good. What they desperately need is scoring. Unless they want to wait until the offseason and hope to sign a FA they have to trade some defensemen. Also their prospect pool is pretty shallow and ours is pretty deep. They may want some extra picks or good prospects to develop.

Also I don't think Tortarella and Edler are on the same page and Torts isn't about to be let go already.

Idk what it would take but I'd imagine Quincey + roster player forward + Pulkinnen and maybe a pick

Edited by joesuffP

I would fine with Visnovsky. He is the kind if deadline acquisition that could put a team over the top, or at least give them a better chance at the chase. Think of Larry Murphy. Sure, our team isn't as good as it was back then, but he came here and really solidified the D corps and help put them over the top. I could give up one of Kindl or Quincey along with Almqvist for Lubo...

...so here is a nice scenario:

trade Kindl and Almqvist to NYI for Lubomir Visnovsky...let Q walk in July and sign Matt Niskanen.

Kronwall - Visnovsky

Ericsson - Niskanen

Smith - Dekeyser

Lashoff

...on a side note, if rumor has it Boston is interested in Q, trade them Q for Joe Morrow, who has one more year of waiver exemption and can start the year in GR safely. That wouldn't change my scenario for next year, but it would make us play Lashoff more this season, for the D would look lilke this:

Kronner - Lubo

Ericsson - Dekeyser

Lashoff - Smith

Marchenko

..then in the offseason, sign Niskanen to make it look like my original lineup. PLUS now you have a very good prospect in GR in Morrow that will certainly make up a very good D in a couple of seasons.

I don't think we need a #2 D-Man. Kronwall and Ericsson proofed that they can play that. We lack more on the #4 position, or to name it : Quincy. It's not so much Quincys mistakes that make cost us, it's his lack of points. If we can replace him with another #4 puckmoving D-man that actually puts up points it would be a huge improvement.

I couldn't disagree more. Ericsson is a legit #1. Kronwall makes too many mistakes and takes enough bad penalties to knock him off that top tier. Quincey produces nothing offensively and not only is he a liability while defending but he also takes bad penalties consistently. Between Smith Kindl and Q we just have too many liabilities.

With Rafalski, Stuart and Lids we built a blue line that was able to get the puck out of our own end and quickly add value to the offense. We have never replaced that. IMHO...we are still two defensemen away from where we were in 2008. We need a legit #1 or 2 defensemen and a 3 or 4. I realize this wont happen soon but that's what we need.

Orpik would be nice too...

BTW, your Broncos avatar didn't bring much luck to them...I hope your Tiger's one doesn't have the same affect...

Orpik would be a decent short term solution until our younger guys are ready - because Orpik is 34 after this season he will be out before he takes up room for the young guys developing.

Ericsson is a legit #1. Kronwall makes too many mistakes and takes enough bad penalties to knock him off that top tier.

Not to be an ass, but...are you high?

Re: Orpik - I have a very, very hard time seeing Orpik coming to the Wings. And I don't think he's quite what we need on the back end anyway. I think we need a solid puck-mover, a guy with Real Good offensive instincts. Smith and Kindl have been disappointments, and Quincey has been a train wreck. We're not getting nearly as much offense from the defense as we thought we would. To which someone will probably say, "Yeah, but you like Girardi. He's not an offensive defenseman by any stretch." True enough, but he moves the puck very well, among other things.

As for the nuts and bolts of these hypothetical trades, e.g. Edler and Visnovsky - tbh, any solid top-four defenseman is probably going to cost more than we'd ideally like to give up. Edler almost certainly would make us wince, in terms of the return. And Snow could very well say, "Screw off. Visnovsky is essential to our blue line and I had to put my natural charm into overdrive to convince him to play for us. And now this whole Vanek thing is threatening to taint my otherwise perfect legacy. So I'm not giving Lubo up for anything less than a top-six forward, a good defenseman, and a first-round pick." Which wouldn't be worth it.

Solid top-four defensemen are so highly coveted these days. Hats off to Gillis for getting Diaz for, basically, a nobody.

I've never heard of Diaz, but if the Canucks got him by giving up such a low quality player that's unfortunate. However I don't think anyone is going to take Sammy at this point, he's been healthy scratched in GR. He just has absolutely zero value and just needs to retire. Either way I would be surprised to see Kenny make any moves before the deadline. Our guys getting healthy will be our deadline acquisitions.

Mitsos is a moron. He said that they could have traded Tootoo and Montreal would have seen that as an equal swap as Weise, ignoring the fact that Weise is younger, bigger, and cheaper than Tootoo. If the Habs wanted a fighter, the Wings don't have anyone they would have wanted.

That guy is a moron .... Habs would never of taken Samuelson cleary or betrtuzzi .... And they added Weise because the teams too small and he's 6'2 although tootoo hits he's another small player

And all that to the fact the wings are chasing the habs .... Does Anyone actually think we'd make a trade with one another?

The Habs wouldn't trade with us if their lives depended on it. Then again, Bergevin and Therrien apppear to be morons. But, point was, it's just some food for thought. There might be serviceable - and available - top-four defensemen out there who we haven't even considered.

Orpik would be nice too...

BTW, your Broncos avatar didn't bring much luck to them...I hope your Tiger's one doesn't have the same affect...

only reason I had Broncos was because of Manning...next year I'll leave it off

Save the cap space and fill in the holes with Griffins. I don't want Vanek or any of those overpriced players. Especially since we don't know what we have with Weiss yet